First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Moab, ‘22 HighTide, ‘59 Chevy Apache, ‘32 Ford
Occupation
Custom painter/freelance artist
So I’ve seen two different devices that you can wire into your underdash harness that (basically) save the setting that you last input on the auto start/stop button in the dash. Basically if you turn it (auto stop/start) off, and then turn your Jeep off, the next time you start it it “remembers“ your previous setting and keeps it the same.
i haven’t heard a whole of of good about the auto stop/start feature, and have heard a lot of bad, and my mechanic recommends that I disable it by pushing the button each time I start the Jeep...just wondering if installing any of these devices affects the warranty on the Jeep?
and if I choose to do it, I’ve got 2 options, one that just stores the chosen setting for around $120 or a “tazer” (I think) which does a bunch of other stuff I probably don’t need (although it did have the ability to program the backup camera to come on when you use the turn signal which was kind I’d cool) for about $350 to $400. Recommendations?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
So I’ve seen two different devices that you can wire into your underdash harness that (basically) save the setting that you last input on the auto start/stop button in the dash. Basically if you turn it (auto stop/start) off, and then turn your Jeep off, the next time you start it it “remembers“ your previous setting and keeps it the same.
i haven’t heard a whole of of good about the auto stop/start feature, and have heard a lot of bad, and my mechanic recommends that I disable it by pushing the button each time I start the Jeep...just wondering if installing any of these devices affects the warranty on the Jeep?
and if I choose to do it, I’ve got 2 options, one that just stores the chosen setting for around $120 or a “tazer” (I think) which does a bunch of other stuff I probably don’t need (although it did have the ability to program the backup camera to come on when you use the turn signal which was kind I’d cool) for about $350 to $400. Recommendations?
@Resin Addict

@SmartStopStart.com is a forum sponsor here. Steve, the owner of the company owns a JL. He is a real decent guy and backs his product offering!

IF you do not need the Features that the Tazer JL Mini offers, do go with the SmartStopStart unit.

Buy here:
https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

There are a couple of knock offs of the SmartStopStart, but I would avoid them, even if they are a few $ less expensive.

Remember, when you eventually sell your JL, you will be able to sell your SmartStopStart unit, on Craigslist or on this forum for about 65% or so of what you paid for it.

Note: The SmartStopStart is very east to install. MANY forum members here, run SmartStartStops.
The unit works flawlessly!

Here is a pic of the unit and I have also attached the instructions for it
Jeep Wrangler JL Devices to bypass auto stop/ start smartstopstart

Attachments

OP
OP
Resin Addict

Resin Addict

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There's a built-in device to disable it on the dash, only inches away from the button you have to push to start the jeep anyhow.
Right...I’m not stupid...read my post, I’m aware of it, rather, I’m specifically asking about aftermarket devices and how they might affect the warranty.

OP
OP
Resin Addict

Resin Addict

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Resin Addict

@SmartStopStart.com is a forum sponsor here. Steve, the owner of the company owns a JL.

IF you do not need the Features that the Tazer JL Mini offers, do go with the SmartStopStart unit.

Buy here:
https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

There are a couple of knock offs of the SmartStopStart, but I would avoid them, even if they are a few $ less expensive.

Remember, when you eventually sell your JL, you will be able to sell your SmartStopStart unit, on Craigslist or on this forum for about 65% or so of what you paid for it.

Note: The SmartStopStart is very east to install. MANY forum members here, run SmartStartStops.
The unit works flawlessly!

Here is a pic of the unit and I have also attached the instructions for it
Jeep Wrangler JL Devices to bypass auto stop/ start smartstopstart
This is one (of two) that I’m looking at...i read the lengthy discussion regarding it and am leaning toward this one, but specifically am wondering about if there’s any warranty issues.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Resin Addict

About your warranty if you install a SmartStopStart unit. Dealer will be absolutely clueless, if you remove the unit (easy easy to do) before you take your JL in for a Service Department visit..

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Right...I’m not stupid...read my post, I’m aware of it, rather, I’m specifically asking about aftermarket devices and how they might affect the warranty.
I don't recall calling you stupid, but thanks for being proactive. I think paying hundreds of $$$ to not have to push a button that's next to a button you still have to push is totally reasonable.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't recall calling you stupid, but thanks for being proactive. I think paying hundreds of $$$ to not have to push a button that's next to a button you still have to push is totally reasonable.
@beaups .... I'd say you are in the minority.. Also, SSS is $129.00 and you recoop most of that when you sell your JL and then sell the SSS unit.

Funny, how installing such a unit that deals with ESS (so you do not need to push that button) is one of the most asked about and desired aftermarket add ons you here talked about on this forum.

LVZen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 Door 3.6L
I have the Tazer and it works very well, but the primary purpose for buying it was other functionality. That said, I am 100% in agreement that paying for a device that gets rid of Auto Stop/Start is worth it. Everyone places different values on things, there's no right or wrong, and you wouldn't buy it if it wasn't worth it to you. That's how the free market works.

As for warranty, I unmarry the Tazer when I need to take it to the dealer, which I do as seldom as possible.

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
This is one (of two) that I’m looking at...i read the lengthy discussion regarding it and am leaning toward this one, but specifically am wondering about if there’s any warranty issues.
Both devices are easily removable. In the case of the SmartStopStart, it makes no changes to anything in the onboard computer, so disconnecting it leaves nothing behind. The Tazer has a process to unmarry from the computer and that also removes all traces. I've never heard of anyone getting any pushback from a dealer on account of either device, though I suppose it's possible that there is probably a service department somewhere staffed with particularly thick-headed employees who enjoy denying warranty claims for illegitimate, random reasons. If you suspect I just described your dealership's service department, you can always yank the module out before bringing it in (or preferably, find a different place to take your business).

ETA: My wife and I both have the SmartStopStart on our JLs. Hers has been in a couple of times for warranty issues requiring flash updates for various onboard computers. No one has ever even mentioned the fact that we have them.

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
@beaups .... I'd say you are in the minority..

Funny, how installing such a unit that deals with ESS (so you do not need to push that button) is one of the most asked about and desired aftermarket add ons you here talked about on this forum.
I know, and it's not just this vehicle/forum. I agree it's annoying at first. But of the ~dozen things you do before the vehicle is moving every time you depart, I don't see pushing one button as that significant. But to each their own :)

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Okay you guys win!! I am throwing in the towels! I am gonna get that SmartStopStart!! If it is that easy to remove it when I go for service and to put it back on - its definitely worth it. Besides its only $129. Thanks for the info and for assuring me. Do you know how much does other Jeep stuff cost??

Oh my gawd!!! I will RELISH the day when I dont have to push that damn button or forgot to push the button only to find my engine splutter when stopping. That damn features is giving me - you name it - ulcer, baldness, high blood pressure, hoarse voice from %$#%$%^ too much, not in the mood for sex when I am thinking of it along with sleepless night. Oh even thinking of it makes me wanna punch some kittens (not puppies because that would just be mean)

Okay I am exaggerating (no punching - really) but yeah that stupid ESS stuff is NO FUN!!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Devices to bypass auto stop/ start bunnie

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have run both the Tazer JL Mini and now the SmartStopStart unit. BOTH are terrific.

My dealer knows about and is not concerned that I run a SmartStopStart. They do ask that I remove it before I bring the JL in ... which is a rare day in hell, lets say..

Dealer did voice concern and worry for me though, with the Tazer JL Mini. They made it known to me that when they hook my JL to their WiTech computer, that FCA is then thrown into the mix... and even if they the dealer, didn't care, that if there is a major issue with my JL, that FCA could dig deep into what the WiTech reported to them in regard to a programmer in the mix, and then I could have an issue lets say.

With the SmartStopStart unit the issue/concern I just mentioned is not a concern,, You remove it and WiTech, FCA sees no history, as deep as they may search, in regard to the SSS.

OP
OP
Resin Addict

Resin Addict

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Okay you guys win!! I am throwing in the towels! I am gonna get that SmartStopStart!! If it is that easy to remove it when I go for service and to put it back on - its definitely worth it. Besides its only $129. Thanks for the info and for assuring me. Do you know how much does other Jeep stuff cost??

Oh my gawd!!! I will RELISH the day when I dont have to push that damn button or forgot to push the button only to find my engine splutter when stopping. That damn features is giving me - you name it - ulcer, baldness, high blood pressure, hoarse voice from %$#%$%^ too much, not in the mood for sex when I am thinking of it along with sleepless night. Oh even thinking of it makes me wanna punch some kittens (not puppies because that would just be mean)

Okay I am exaggerating (no punching - really) but yeah that stupid ESS stuff is NO FUN!!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Devices to bypass auto stop/ start bunnie
Yup...what he said, I’m convinced too.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Resin Addict

Disclaimer... Yes, I said, easy to install and remove.... but, we do get the occasional guy that says he has difficulty doing the install or removal of either a Tazer JL Mini or a SmartStopStart unit.
They both hook up to the same 2 cables, that you disconnect from the gateway module.

Yes, if your eyesight is bad, you are overweight, etc., doing the task can be somewhat of an issue. Often a Wife, teen Son or Daughter can come in real handy for this chore... they will find it easy easy.

By the way, I'm 71, eyesight is so so, and I can do the deed easily. Have done it geeeez, probably 50 times at least... never an issue. Just need good lighting and say 4-5 minutes.

In closing the SmartStopStart or a Tazer JL Mini are the hoot, lets say. Both are terrific add-ons.. Just depends what your needs are...
Sponsored