Decisions decisions decisions

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It depends on where you'll be overlanding too. Here in the southeast where we hit trails, most of our guys hate the 4:1 transfer case in the Rubicon. It's wayyyy too low for mud, snow, loose dirt hill climbs, water crossings, etc. I put my Sport in low range and 1st gear (8-speed auto) today and it is almost too low. 2nd gear worked better. The 4:1 case would be ridiculous unless you're crawling rocks in the mountains.
Sponsored

OP
OP

iWantJLU

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord LX
I had to order my sting grey Sport S. I only ordered the 3.6 auto with upgraded wheels and standard soft top. I'm coming from a 2004 Sahara so this is a major upgrade! Don't pay for something you really don't want. Just go into the dealer and order exactly what you want! O and I didn't put a deposit down. Not sure why some dealers are requiring it.

Thanks for the info

OP
OP

iWantJLU

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord LX
It depends on where you'll be overlanding too. Here in the southeast where we hit trails, most of our guys hate the 4:1 transfer case in the Rubicon. It's wayyyy too low for mud, snow, loose dirt hill climbs, water crossings, etc. I put my Sport in low range and 1st gear (8-speed auto) today and it is almost too low. 2nd gear worked better. The 4:1 case would be ridiculous unless you're crawling rocks in the mountains.

Thanks here we have mountain or fields and thanks for the info

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I’ve been looking around all week and for the most haven’t found the one......And for the most part most available sport s models are within $5k or less than a lower tier rubicon which is what I wanted (six speed grey LEDs and hardtop) so I’m thinking I may have to go with a factory order. Wife found one but wrong color....white and on sale for $40k too.....all this sucks lol.....it’s the color combo she wants too
I would not make LED a priority, there are many complaints like in Snow they are not warm enough to melt the snow so the lights are useless in the slow. Additionally there will be many after market option in the future that will be an easy upgrade. Not top mention is is an over priced option, frankly it should be included with every new JL.

OP
OP

iWantJLU

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord LX
I would not make LED a priority, there are many complaints like in Snow they are not warm enough to melt the snow so the lights are useless in the slow. Additionally there will be many after market option in the future that will be an easy upgrade. Not top mention is is an over priced option, frankly it should be included with every new JL.
I definitely agree that, at least Sahara’s and Rubicon should come with LED’s I mean they’re $40k plus vehicles

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I definitely agree that, at least Sahara’s and Rubicon should come with LED’s I mean they’re $40k plus vehicles
They do come with LED's, if you order them as such. I see this kind of thing said a lot, that it shouldn't be optional, but then the price would just be higher as if it had been optioned in. That just removes the ability to choose. I would agree that it should be an option on the Sport/S, but that's how they sell Saharas.

OP
OP

iWantJLU

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord LX
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, white with LED package and Hardtop. Asking price $45,130 sale price $40,129......$3k down 12k miles a year $487 includes taxes and fees for 48.....now this is all over the phone and nothing has been put to paper but what do you guys think?

dcwrangler

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Ever since I sold my '97 TJ in 2014 I have been waiting for the JL. My TJ was mostly stock other than a small lift, bigger tires and some lights. I was thinking about getting the sport and building it up and then realized I need at least a sport S with some packages if I want it to be my daily driver. And that quickly put me in the base Rubicon price range. My TJ also kept getting the death wobble back after bandaging several components so I didn't really want to get a sport JL, put a lift kit, larger tires and end up with another jeep with an on again off again death wobble.

After building and pricing several trims I finally ended up on a fully loaded Rubicon. I think on average the Rubicon is $10k more than a sport S with similar packages. When you factor in all the additional things the rubicon has, the $10k price difference seems to be more worth it. I might not go rock crawling but I do like to go on some overland adventures while still using it as a DD.

If you are going for the look, in my opinion, the stock Rubicon is
perfect vs. building up a sport and jeopardizing daily driving comfort. If anything I might put on 35s when the 33s are worn.
Sponsored