Decisions decisions decisions

iWantJLU

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord LX
So I’ve been saving up to buy a Rubicon this coming summer and what happens my beater craps out on me! Lol now I’m trying to decided whether to pick up a Sport S, or just go for the Rubicon earlier. I’m a complete noob but my wish loves the other doors and we’d like to get into overlanding with the kids. I found a couple Sport S built to my liking but they aren’t Rubicon and yes I know I won’t truly know if I’ll need the extra features the Rubicon comes with but I do know that they are incredibly sexy lol. Anyone have any advice for a noob they wouldn’t mind sharing?
Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
If you’d been planning on a Rubicon and don’t get it you’ll regret it. This is the best time of year to get one. You should be able to find 18s and 19s out there depending on where you live.

That’s not to say the other models are bad. You can always trick them out later when you have the $.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Honestly, I ordered a Sport S because I will never use the Jeep for anything other than overland and my DD. I'm not going to be rock crawling so all the extras on a Rubicon would be a waste for me. Yes, the Rubicon is sexy AF. But you can get the cosmetic look a whole lot cheaper.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Honestly, I ordered a Sport S because I will never use the Jeep for anything other than overland and my DD. I'm not going to be rock crawling so all the extras on a Rubicon would be a waste for me. Yes, the Rubicon is sexy AF. But you can get the cosmetic look a whole lot cheaper.
Can’t argue with that

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
When it came to me getting my Jeep, it really was a matter of "the heart wants what the heart wants". I had a vision of what I wanted, and I waited quite a while until the time was right for me. I went with a custom-ordered '19 Moab (originally I was looking at a loaded '18 Sahara) because it was exactly what I wanted and the timing was right. If I would have had to sacrifice getting less than what I wanted, it wouldn't be the end of the world but I would probably just be thinking the whole time "when can I trade it in for what I actually want?"

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
The ONLY major difference that is not a simple mod is the Dana 44 axles and the Lockers, however those can also be added later just a little more expensive to do it that way, however if you find you do not need them, well money saved. or add a winch, that will get you out of more jams than the lockers. Unless you are rock climbing you will likely be fine with the sport. The upside to the Sport is for the daily driver it will have a more street friendly ride. As the JL model matures there will be Rubi owner switching to the Dana 6 series axles so you will be able to find Rubicon take off axles to upgrade your Sport with at a reasonable cost or you can add lockers to your sport Dana 33's.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
To me if you are not a serious off-roader there is a rule of thumb for going from a Sport S to Rubicon:

If you are planning to run 35s or 37s, then you should consider the Rubicon. You can put 35s on without a lift and 37s without feeling like you want to regear. With the Sport S you are going to need a lift to put on 35s and I don't think you would be happy with the gearing. By that time you could have bought a Rubicon.

The only thing I miss on my Sport S is the LED package. It is a good value and the aftermarket and even Mopar have not come up with anything yet without piecing together a bunch of crap and spending more.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If you're looking to convince yourself, just say "oh the resale value will be great on that Rubicon!" And you're golden.
That's a misconception. Yes the resale is better than buying and building a Sport because mods don't help resale. But a base Sport S will resale better than a base Rubicon.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I was all set to start saving for a Rubicon when my wife surprised me and suggested we take home a Sport S off the lot. Since I love wrenching on my Jeep, it’s been fun to add all the extras myself to make it exactly what I want.

Also, instead of financing the extras (like lockers, the aux buttons, the 8.4” Uconnect, the axels, the lift/shocks) you can pay cash for that stuff later down the line and not pay interest on that money. (Personally I’m still waiting on the LED headlights, fenders, and the Rubicon style vented hood to become available.) I’ve even seen the sway bar disconnect system available for after-installation.

So, a Sport S May very well meet your needs/wants. I would recommend ordering the LED package though.

Sponsored

JC2692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
That's a misconception. Yes the resale is better than buying and building a Sport because mods don't help resale. But a base Sport S will resale better than a base Rubicon.
But saying that to himself won't help convince him to get a Rubicon...

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Lots of questions go into the decision.
What are your plans for wheels and tires? Do you plan on adding a lift?
Do you have a budget to stick to?
Do you want the 8.4” screen with Nav or do you have another way of loading maps offline? Or maybe you don’t need it?
Do you want a Rubicon for the aesthetics?

OP
OP

iWantJLU

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord LX
Thanks for all the advice, but I don’t want anyone to think I’m looking to be convinced into buying a Rubicon that isn’t the case. Idk if I’ll get into rock crawling down the road, I do like watching [Banned Site] and lite brite vidoes. I just don’t know if I get the sport will I look back in regret.....guess time will tell lol

OP
OP

iWantJLU

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord LX
Lots of questions go into the decision.
What are your plans for wheels and tires? Do you plan on adding a lift?
Do you have a budget to stick to?
Do you want the 8.4” screen with Nav or do you have another way of loading maps offline? Or maybe you don’t need it?
Do you want a Rubicon for the aesthetics?
I have two builds in mind lol one for the sport s with a 2.5-3.5” lift and 35’s. Since I wouldn’t want to re-gear right away. The Rubicon would see 3.5-4 lift and 37’s maybe 40’s in the future. Love the Rubicon aesthetics......oh and six speed manual is the way to go for me as well lol

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Well I’m of the mindset that anything over 35” is excessive for road and trail use. It’s just not worth sacrificing ride quality to me, when you’re not gaining much in terms of capability.

What’s your deciding factor right now as far as which model to go with? If you’re planning on building them both up anyway, the rubicon is going to be much more costly.

OP
OP

iWantJLU

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord LX
Thanks for all the feedback
Sponsored