Death wobbles resolved today!!

JMyatt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Hate to rain on your parade... really I do. But steering stabilizers don't "FIX" death wobble, they "MASK" it.
I believe there is a design issue with the JL suspension, and my current guess is it is related to the steering box and electronic steering pump.

My currenet setup is mostly stable but every once in awhile I will hit a bump that will give me wobble (back and forth about 2-3 times).

FWIW... I have also Masked my wobble with a dual steering stabilizer.
You are dead on. This is an issue of poor quality ball joints with spongy bushings making it worse over time. Don’t waste your time and get more run around. Upgrade to an adjustable heavy duty ball joints and stiffer Delrin or Poly bushings.
Sponsored

JMyatt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same here. Replacement stabilizer masked the problem for about 3 weeks and now the wobble is getting progressively worse again, along with a new wandering in the steering. Back to the shop.
Same here. Decided to fix my issue by upgrading the root cause. Poor ball joints and spongy bushings.

OP
OP
@OUTDOORTREE

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Didn’t work for me. It’s actually worse and happens at lower speeds.
I lied. It worked for 2 days and is back. Going back to the shop Wednesday... still love the Jeep though.

JMyatt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
7E2FE61C-A99B-4F48-AF41-C0C3045E12EC.jpeg
I lied. It worked for 2 days and is back. Going back to the shop Wednesday... still love the Jeep though.
So jumping on this myself, put it up on a lift. Friend noticed a possible axle issue. The axle shaft seems to be moving and the weld may have rusted and broke inside the diff case. What do you guys think? See pics attached. I marked it to see if it’s moving around. I guess have to wait and see but this weld doesn’t look healthy.

71AD8C0D-5142-4276-9EFE-326B873CBE61.jpeg

OP
OP
@OUTDOORTREE

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
7E2FE61C-A99B-4F48-AF41-C0C3045E12EC.jpeg

So jumping on this myself, put it up on a lift. Friend noticed a possible axle issue. The axle shaft seems to be moving and the weld may have rusted and broke inside the diff case. What do you guys think? See pics attached. I marked it to see if it’s moving around. I guess have to wait and see but this weld doesn’t look healthy.

71AD8C0D-5142-4276-9EFE-326B873CBE61.jpeg
Hmmmm. Sure beats me. I will pass it to my tech to look at it in the morning.

Sponsored

OP
OP
@OUTDOORTREE

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So, last time I took it in they said the steering stabilizer is bad and they have a new updated one to replace it.

Problem came back,I took Jeep in today and they apologized and said that the new one is bad also and there is a new new one that replaces the replacement... Hahaha...

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
So, last time I took it in they said the steering stabilizer is bad and they have a new updated one to replace it.

Problem came back,I took Jeep in today and they apologized and said that the new one is bad also and there is a new new one that replaces the replacement... Hahaha...
Woah.. keep us posted!

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Hah. Are you serious? This was a huge problem with a lot of early model JKs over a decade ago, too. Weak welds were causing the tubes to move and hitting a pothole meant a bent axle. Some things never change.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
OP
OP
@OUTDOORTREE

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I told Jeep I was tired of there faulty steering dampeners and that they needed to pay for an aftermarket one and they said ok. Got the Falcon 2.2 -- riding around town on medium setting and its very nice. I know its not the root problem but its working out great for me and they are reimbursing me for the $330 I spent on it. I installed last night, drove last night and this morning.

Sponsored

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I told Jeep I was tired of there faulty steering dampeners and that they needed to pay for an aftermarket one and they said ok. Got the Falcon 2.2 -- riding around town on medium setting and its very nice. I know its not the root problem but its working out great for me and they are reimbursing me for the $330 I spent on it. I installed last night, drove last night and this morning.
Hi. I'm curious as to how many dampers your dealer installed. I'm hearing this a lot....

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
My dealer has replaced both the drag link as well as the stabilizer. Worked for a little while but its back again... Im once again without a vehicle which unfortunately is becoming the norm.