Death Wobble after Mopar LCA install

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
Appreciate the 2 cents actually. As mentioned, I was thinking of adding the steering track bar, but the immediate concern was that as soon as I added the LCA, I now have “wobble” that I never experienced prior, and given the timing, am 100% that is was the result of the LCA install. Whether it was the LCA’s themselves, or some other side, is what I am trying to determine.
I agree with everyone here that you need to get an adjustable Trackbar asap.

That being said, when you get under your jeep to check torque on the Trackbar and Upper/Lower Control Arm bolts, I suggest loosening and re-torquing all of the frame side and axle side bolts. They could have very easily torqued them when the jeep was in the air, which is a big no no. UCA’s, LCA’s and track bars all should only be torqued down with all wheels on the ground.
Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
People have been putting just the mopar LCA’s on stock rubicons with success, right? This is an isolated incident?

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
People have been putting just the mopar LCA’s on stock rubicons with success, right? This is an isolated incident?
Yes, I haven’t heard of anyone here having DW after a Mopar LCA install.

OP
OP

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Cooper, 2016 Corvette Z51
Any recommendations on an adjustable track bar? Should I do a steering stabilizer at the same time?

OP
OP

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with everyone here that you need to get an adjustable Trackbar asap.

That being said, when you get under your jeep to check torque on the Trackbar and Upper/Lower Control Arm bolts, I suggest loosening and re-torquing all of the frame side and axle side bolts. They could have very easily torqued them when the jeep was in the air, which is a big no no. UCA’s, LCA’s and track bars all should only be torqued down with all wheels on the ground.
When you say “all of the frame side and axle side bolts”, are you referring to the LCA bolts, or more than that?

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
When you say “all of the frame side and axle side bolts”, are you referring to the LCA bolts, or more than that?
My 2 cents, check them all. The LCAs, UCAs, trackbar, and steering damper. We're not talking about a lot of work here.

Don't underestimate the interaction of a small change.
Also, some aspect of a suspension component that may have been marginally adequate before a different component is changed, may now cause an issue.

All the recommendations to change the trackbar to a more robust aftermarket bar with stiffer bushings, is on point, IMO. You've been on borrowed time with the factory bar. It's not just the stiffness of the bar itself, but the OEM bushings are marginal at best, and in my case of a 2018, they were totally inadequate. A good trackbar will improve the steering response as well. Synergy, Teraflex, and Steersmarts Yeti seem to be the most popular trackbars mentioned on this forum. I have a Yeti front, and a Synergy rear.

OP
OP

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a serious death wobble with my Jeep. Turns out the dealer installed the recall steering dampener UPSIDE DOWN. Apparently, there's a bump that needs to be facing up.
Interesting you mentioned this. I just checked my replaced steering dampener and looking at the affixed sticker, seems to be possibly upside down (it’s shows front of vehicle arrow facing the wrong direction).

4F408565-527B-4AB3-B884-1F3EF20D83A0.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 cents, check them all. The LCAs, UCAs, trackbar, and steering damper. We're not talking about a lot of work here.

Don't underestimate the interaction of a small change.
Also, some aspect of a suspension component that may have been marginally adequate before a different component is changed, may now cause an issue.

All the recommendations to change the trackbar to a more robust aftermarket bar with stiffer bushings, is on point, IMO. You've been on borrowed time with the factory bar. It's not just the stiffness of the bar itself, but the OEM bushings are marginal at best, and in my case of a 2018, they were totally inadequate. A good trackbar will improve the steering response as well. Synergy, Teraflex, and Steersmarts Yeti seem to be the most popular trackbars mentioned on this forum. I have a Yeti front, and a Synergy rear.
Thanks! Was just looking at the Yeti. Did you go with rubber or poly bushings?

charlie00tj

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Interesting you mentioned this. I just checked my replaced steering dampener and looking at the affixed sticker, seems to be possibly upside down (it’s shows front of vehicle arrow facing the wrong direction).

Jeep Wrangler JL Death Wobble after Mopar LCA install 4F408565-527B-4AB3-B884-1F3EF20D83A0
I hit a bump on the highway and legit thought I was going to die. Make them fix it. Scariest thing ever.

OP
OP

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hit a bump on the highway and legit thought I was going to die. Make them fix it. Scariest thing ever.
Ah so this is confirmed upside down? Just wondering if you can confirm comparitive to yours.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Ah so this is confirmed upside down? Just wondering if you can confirm comparitive to yours.
Once you get a good trackbar and your frontend is right, including the steering box, you can drive at highway speeds without a damper. I drove for a couple weeks without one at speeds up to 80 mph on the rough 405 in Socal. Not so much as a little shimmy. If you have any shimmy or DW, my recommendation would be to fix the cause before you worry about a steering damper.

If you get an aftermarket damper, I'd recommend you get an adjustable damper and start by setting it at the lowest damping, drive it and go from there. The stiffer the damper is, the more force the trackbar has to resist before the wheels steer and the steering box can generate well over 1000 lbs of force. If the damper is so stiff the bushings on the trackbar compress when you steer quickly, your steering will have a lag or spongy feel. So, stiffer isn't always better. I'm running a stock damper.

OP
OP

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Once you get a good trackbar and your frontend is right, including the steering box, you can drive at highway speeds without a damper. I drove for a couple weeks without one at speeds up to 80 mph on the rough 405 in Socal. Not so much as a little shimmy. If you have any shimmy or DW, my recommendation would be to fix the cause before you worry about a steering damper.

If you get an aftermarket damper, I'd recommend you get an adjustable damper and start by setting it at the lowest damping, drive it and go from there. The stiffer the damper is, the more force the trackbar has to resist before the wheels steer and the steering box can generate well over 1000 lbs of force. If the damper is so stiff the bushings on the trackbar compress when you steer quickly, your steering will have a lag or spongy feel. So, stiffer isn't always better. I'm running a stock damper.
Thanks, sounds like I should have the dealership correct the steering dampener orientation (still looking to have someone confirm for me that it is in fact upside down), and while they are there check any loose connections, or loose bushings. I can then get an adjustable front track bar to re-align the suspension.

Anyone able to check their OEM dampener, and confirm which way that sticker should go? Mine looks wrong, but I want to be sure if I go to the dealer and demand them to fix.

charlie00tj

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Thanks, sounds like I should have the dealership correct the steering dampener orientation (still looking to have someone confirm for me that it is in fact upside down), and while they are there check any loose connections, or loose bushings. I can then get an adjustable front track bar to re-align the suspension.

Anyone able to check their OEM dampener, and confirm which way that sticker should go? Mine looks wrong, but I want to be sure if I go to the dealer and demand them to fix.
I can confirm it is upside down. At least when compared to mine. They performed a recall for the dampener. After that I had the death wobble. The fix was to roll the dampener because they installed it upside down. With the sticker being on the bottom, the arrow will point to the front of the Jeep.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

You only need to remove the bolt on one end of the damper to roll it over. You might just wait til you have a trackbar and either have someone do it all at once or do it yourself when installing the trackbar. I don't like going to the dealer if avoidable.
Sponsored