Sponsored

Death Wobble after Mopar LCA install

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Cooper, 2016 Corvette Z51
Have had an RC 2.5 spacer lift and 35’s for over a year with no issues. Bought the mopar LCA’s to give a bit more caster (only $60), and had my dealer install while getting an oil change. Steering does seem a bit less wandering, but today on the highway had my first instance of death wobble, and it was pretty scary. Drove around a bit today looking to go over bumps and it’s definitely a lot more wobbly. Doesn’t make sense from just the 1/4 in longer LCA’s, has to be something lose from the dealership install, yea?
Sponsored

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR 24 VW Tiguan Rline 20+21 Tacoma TRD
Anytime I have heard of death wobble it was due to unwanted movement in the steering parts. Loose or just too much play in the joints.

OP
OP

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anytime I have heard of death wobble it was due to unwanted movement in the steering parts. Loose or just too much play in the joints.
Right, so likely something loose from install? I’ve thought about getting a steering stabilizer, but this is something different and sudden after they worked on it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While you are checking that check the torque on the upper control arms, and the track bar.
thanks. I was just looking at the stock LCA’s and they have protruding rubber bushings. My mopar didn’t have that, and do seem rather sloppy if I try moving them with my hands. I’m guessing I’m missing something and thus the looseness. Trying to find if they use the same rubber bushings, or something different.

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR 24 VW Tiguan Rline 20+21 Tacoma TRD
Right, so likely something loose from install? I’ve thought about getting a steering stabilizer, but this is something different and sudden after they worked on it.
Yes I would double check the bolts like mentioned as the only thing that changed is the LCA but any of the bolts could be out of spec.
I am waiting on my Mopar LCA as we speak but no lift. Im looking for more caster in the stock form.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
thanks. I was just looking at the stock LCA’s and they have protruding rubber bushings. My mopar didn’t have that, and do seem rather sloppy if I try moving them with my hands. I’m guessing I’m missing something and thus the looseness. Trying to find if they use the same rubber bushings, or something different.
Here's my LCA install post, you'll see the longer LCAs(on the left) have an inboard seal, the stock LCAs have the seal outboard.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/#post-919317
Jeep Wrangler JL Death Wobble after Mopar LCA install IMG_0281.JPG

charlie00tj

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Have had an RC 2.5 spacer lift and 35’s for over a year with no issues. Bought the mopar LCA’s to give a bit more caster (only $60), and had my dealer install while getting an oil change. Steering does seem a bit less wandering, but today on the highway had my first instance of death wobble, and it was pretty scary. Drove around a bit today looking to go over bumps and it’s definitely a lot more wobbly. Doesn’t make sense from just the 1/4 in longer LCA’s, has to be something lose from the dealership install, yea?
I had a serious death wobble with my Jeep. Turns out the dealer installed the recall steering dampener UPSIDE DOWN. Apparently, there's a bump that needs to be facing up.

OP
OP

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's my LCA install post, you'll see the longer LCAs(on the left) have an inboard seal, the stock LCAs have the seal outboard.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/#post-919317
Jeep Wrangler JL Death Wobble after Mopar LCA install IMG_0281.JPG
Thank you!!! This is what I needed confirmed. So it’s not the LCA’s. Either something was assembled loose (not sure what else needs to even be touched for an LCA install), or perhaps some other bushing was damaged during install. Makes no sense otherwise...

Sponsored

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Is that a seal or is it a rubber bushing that should have transfered to the new LCAs?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I would check your track bar if it’s stock. You’ve been on a 2.5 “ lift and 35s, for over a year, that means your front axle has been off center about a 1/2” for that long, I’m guessing that the change in caster might have put more strain on the axle side bushing. It’s just a theory, but sometimes, not all of the time, DW is do to worn track bar bushings. If you’re gonna stay on the 2.5” lift, I recommend getting an adjustable front track bar, and a rear track bar relocation bracket. Just my .02.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Is that a seal or is it a rubber bushing that should have transfered to the new LCAs?
Different bushing design is all. The rubber that you see in the stock bushing is a part of the bushings cushion. The Mopar ones are a little different in design and don't have that same portion.

OP
OP

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would check your track bar if it’s stock. You’ve been on a 2.5 “ lift and 35s, for over a year, that means your front axle has been off center about a 1/2” for that long, I’m guessing that the change in caster might have put more strain on the axle side bushing. It’s just a theory, but sometimes, not all of the time, DW is do to worn track bar bushings. If you’re gonna stay on the 2.5” lift, I recommend getting an adjustable front track bar, and a rear track bar relocation bracket. Just my .02.
Appreciate the 2 cents actually. As mentioned, I was thinking of adding the steering track bar, but the immediate concern was that as soon as I added the LCA, I now have “wobble” that I never experienced prior, and given the timing, am 100% that is was the result of the LCA install. Whether it was the LCA’s themselves, or some other side, is what I am trying to determine.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the 2 cents actually. As mentioned, I was thinking of adding the steering track bar, but the immediate concern was that as soon as I added the LCA, I now have “wobble” that I never experienced prior, and given the timing, am 100% that is was the result of the LCA install. Whether it was the LCA’s themselves, or some other side, is what I am trying to determine.
Yeah, copy that....... dw is hard to pinpoint at times.
Sponsored