MaineLotus

MaineLotus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Moab
Possibly, but I wanted a full length rack to carry longer cargo and also mount a batwing canopy. The shorter rack wouldn't have allowed that. Also, to avoid a lot of side overhang, the rack has to be an exact width. It's cut as narrow as possible while still allowing the feet to mount correctly in the rain gutters Any wider and the rack overhangs the side of the jeep.

All depends what you want in the end. I wanted a rack that fits the entire top of the JLU properly.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I see. So technically if you wanted to you could place the other cut pieces over the sky One section and have essentially a full rack again.

OP
OP
MaineLotus

MaineLotus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Moab
Yep, you could have a removable panel with very little work.

Sponsored

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
This is really interesting. First off congratulations on coming up with a great concept and implementing it so well. I know someone else asked, and I'm going to second their request, could you post a video while driving with the roof open? I"d love to see the sightlines and hear the wind noise or absence of such.

Thanks.

OP
OP
MaineLotus

MaineLotus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Moab
Sure, I'll get a video. It's very quiet - maybe better than stock

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Very nice work, I am looking to support a tent, it sounds like you dont feel like this rack setup would?

OP
OP
MaineLotus

MaineLotus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Moab
Not sure - the rack is very strong, but not sure of the max weight the JL top will support.

Sponsored

Andyskillet

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I bought the following:
  • Rhino-Rack 107" x 58" Unassembled Pioneer Platform
  • Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Full Rail Kit for the 42105B platform
  • Rhino-Rack RL150S13 Legs - 3 sets
  • Sheet of black 1" HDPE Plastic
I had to cut the rack down to a size that fits the jeep, both length and width. There isn't an ideal size available from Rhino, they are either too large or small. Used a table saw to cut the aluminum pieces. It takes some planning to make it fit and I have probably 3-4 hours in the rack, customizing and assembling. The HDPE plastic is used to fill in places in the rack where the retracting top can catch.

It turned out well, except for noise. First ride was unbearable with loud whistling and wind noise. Added a wind fairing and it's nearly silent, even pleasant with the top open. I'll take a picture of the wind fairing and post it up. It's made of plexiglass covered in 3M Dinoc Carbon Wrap, on both sides. Removed the Rhino Rack badge from the rack and riveted it to the fairing.
I know this is backtracking, and sorry for being a noob, but can you let us know how much you cut? What are the dimensions overall? I’m buying this today and plan to replicate it, hopefully without destroying it in the process! Haha

ndillon

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JKU Rubicon Hardrock
Wonder if you could have just bought a small Pioneer Platform like a 50" https://amzn.to/3024cn6
I believe the Rhino-Rack Backbone system and parts for the JKU & JLU use a 42108BF which is a 72" x 56" and is the perfect size for both 4 door jeeps. This is the same that I have on my 2015 JKU.

ddemarcay

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon / 2016 F150 Limited
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, I contacted Rhino Rack with some questions on sizing to do a similar setup (60 x 56 platform) and this what they said:

"The 60x56 will not fit on what you want to do. The JL rain gutters are only rated to hold 85lbs. We have engineered the Rhino Rack Backbone System to use the 72”x56” Backbone. Any other application with a different size rack and or attachment system would be a “custom” fit and void all warranty in the likely event of a rack failure."

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
It does go all the way back. I've since added a top rail.

20190405_085921.jpg
Do you know how much weight you can put on top?
Probably way too much to hope that a tent could go up there?!?

Dv394

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jlu
Not sure - the rack is very strong, but not sure of the max weight the JL top will support.
I just ran across this post and hope your still on the forum. The only thing I'm wondering is how did you attach to roof. I Notice the sky onetouch is a bigger. What bolts did you use and did you remove top to attach? A few pics of the attach points would be awesome.
Sponsored