gkolb92

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep Wrangler, Wrangler 392
Hey all!

Looking advice on tops before buying a Wrangler 392.

Has anyone mounted the rhino rack backbone roof rack on a sky one touch roof? Below is a link to the roof rack in question. About to buy the Wrangler 392, but not sure which top to get given that I want the sky one touch, but also want a roof rack.... Other than the Gobi.

I know the retracted top will likely not clear the racks, but with the quick release bars, they would be easy to remove when you don't have gear on the roof, and want the top open.

Overall want the rack to hold a roof top tent or a couple mountain bikes.

Thanks!!

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rhino-r...roof-rack-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jk/standard
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I saw a post on here where someone had to use 8” Yakima uprights so the cross bars would clear the Sky One Touch when it opened.

I don’t think I’d like having a rack sitting that high above the roof. Probably isn’t rated for the weight of a RTT either.

OP
OP

gkolb92

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep Wrangler, Wrangler 392
I saw a post on here where someone had to use 8” Yakima uprights so the cross bars would clear the Sky One Touch when it opened.

I don’t think I’d like having a rack sitting that high above the roof. Probably isn’t rated for the weight of a RTT either.
Yeah! I saw that as well. Concerned about weight limit. Also, I don't think it would be that nice to have the top retracted with gear on top... Gotta be real noisy I would assume.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Yeah! I saw that as well. Concerned about weight limit. Also, I don't think it would be that nice to have the top retracted with gear on top... Gotta be real noisy I would assume.
Lol ya, didn’t think about the noise. Probably true.

It might dump a bunch of dirt in your ride too the first time you open it. I hear they get pretty dirty off-road. If you had gear up there you might just need to put tape across the button reminding you not to open it like in Apollo 13

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky one touch, rhino rack backbone solution 0DD983D4-AF06-454C-B24A-6AACA2EE7C65

1BadDad

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Innovator
Hey all!

Looking advice on tops before buying a Wrangler 392.

Has anyone mounted the rhino rack backbone roof rack on a sky one touch roof? Below is a link to the roof rack in question. About to buy the Wrangler 392, but not sure which top to get given that I want the sky one touch, but also want a roof rack.... Other than the Gobi.

I know the retracted top will likely not clear the racks, but with the quick release bars, they would be easy to remove when you don't have gear on the roof, and want the top open.

Overall want the rack to hold a roof top tent or a couple mountain bikes.

Thanks!!

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rhino-r...roof-rack-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jk/standard
This is what I want to do too. I don’t care about opening my roof when the rack is on. I just don’t know if the backbone system will bolt in. It’s exactly what I would do if it worked.

Sponsored

1BadDad

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Innovator
Hell, I would even pull the fuse on the roof while the rack is installed if i can get it to mount up correctly
Sponsored