Sponsored

Crazy option prices

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Proximity locks are one of those features where you never realize how convenient it is and think it's frivolous until you have it. Myself included. With proximity locks the vehicle is just always unlocked for you and starts with a button press (if you have the fob in your pocket of course) while still locked for everyone else. Do you need it? No. But it's extremely convenient to have.

To clarify, the doors automatically unlock when you touch the handle if the fob is within 3 or so feet. The button on proximity lock handles is only a lock button. Press it and all doors lock. It also disables the proximity unlock for a few seconds so you can try the handle to confirm the doors are actually locked.
Sponsored

jeeeeeeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Proximity locks are one of those features where you never realize how convenient it is and think it's frivolous until you have it. Myself included. With proximity locks the vehicle is just always unlocked for you and starts with a button press (if you have the fob in your pocket of course) while still locked for everyone else. Do you need it? No. But it's extremely convenient to have.

To clarify, the doors automatically unlock when you touch the handle if the fob is within 3 or so feet. The button on proximity lock handles is only a lock button. Press it and all doors lock. It also disables the proximity unlock for a few seconds so you can try the handle to confirm the doors are actually locked.
Yep - had it on my last car, will be on every vehicle I own from now on (if available, of course).

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I would have bought the sky one touch if it was available for my model and color. I live in MA so not having a hard top was Non starter for me. I spent $2500 for dual tops. $1100 for too lift pro. I am already pretty close for price. The hard top was pretty easy to remove (maybe 30 minutes) but it took me a good 2 hours to install the soft top Which I will do every spring/fall. Maybe it will be easier in the future.

I find myself usually in the sun rider mode. To have the soft top down I need to remove the soft top window and have a plan for those. (I usually leave those at home).

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
Jeep seems to charge extra for things that come standard on other vehicles. They charge crazy prices too. With keyless start, the proximity locks should be standard too.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Honestly, what I love about this board is most people complain Jeeps have gotten too expensive. Then you see a thread like this and most people are saying a $650 option to not press 1 button is a must have. Irony at it's best.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Honestly, what I love about this board is most people complain Jeeps have gotten too expensive. Then you see a thread like this and most people are saying a $650 option to not press 1 button is a must have. Irony at it's best.
It kind of goes both ways though, show me another $40-60k suv that doesn't come with most of those features on the base model? The only reason these features aren't all base model options with a starting price of $45k is the hold outs that want no power options and a manual trans so they can pretend they are driving some old utilitarian vehicle because they are hard-core.

Last edited:

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
The proximity locks were a required option on ours at the time of order, automatically added on. I do like that there is a fair amount of ala carte options. Most insist the LED lighting should be standard using the same argument. Thank God I wasn't forced to pay $1000 for that. Don't want them, don't need them. Would have liked to be able to order dual tops on a 2dr Rubicon though. I had to buy a soft top after the fact. While adding options can send the price sky high, ours has lots of nice features and came in around $43k. Not too bad for a new vehicle these days.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The 8 hours of my life pulling door panels and tailgate apart is worth more the the $650 price if the parts were free. Again, the factory option is a bargain.
I feel its worth $650 also(actually less because some dealer sell for under invoice). The problem is you cannot even get Proximity for $650 in many models even if you wanted. Its offered on Sport based models like the Willys but you have to order the very expensive Dual Door Group to get Proximity.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
It kind of goes both ways though, show me another $40-60k suv that doesn't come with most of those features on the base model? The only reason these features aren't all base model options with a starting price of $45k is the hold outs that want no power options and a manual trans so they can pretend they are driving some old utilitarian vehicle because they are hard-core.
Ignoring the brand new Bronco, which I don't think proximity is standard anyways, what 40-60k SUV is as capable as the Wrangler, is a convertible and doors are removeable? You're comparing apples to oranges.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Lol, so much this. Before switching to the Wrangler, I'd been planning to buy a Silverado RST Z71. $50K fully loaded and it had all sorts of tech - LED everything, HUD on the windshield, cooled seats, you name it.

Jeep is way ahead of the game on a lot of things but they are waaay behind on tech and I think this is absolutely the reason.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep does it because they can. I am still pissed Jeep does not offer a locking gas cap and hood lock as standard equipment. :LOL:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, so much this. Before switching to the Wrangler, I'd been planning to buy a Silverado RST Z71. $50K fully loaded and it had all sorts of tech - LED everything, HUD on the windshield, cooled seats, you name it.

Jeep is way ahead of the game on a lot of things but they are waaay behind on tech and I think this is absolutely the reason.
Wranglers have some very unique requirements. Jeep claims the interior of the Wrangler is designed to be temporarily water resistant. Some options like cooled seats might not be designed for those requirements.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I have proximity locks on my rebel and I couldn't tell you how annoyed I get every time I reach for the door handle on the jeep and it's locked. Especially annoying when you've got your hands full. Well worth $645 for a lifetime of easy access without having to ever reach for the key. The only option we don't have that I wish we did.
Easy to add after, with just a couple of mouse clicks you won't have to wish anymore. You can have the dealer add the sales code or if you have a Tazer you can add it yourself.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)