Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
  • Banned
One of the craziest I can think of has to be the proximity unlock; $645 so I don't have to press a button (on the biggest key fob known to man). I'm not saying it has zero value....but $645? That has to be the easiest option NOT to choose.

Then there's the one touch top at $4000. Not being able to remove the roof is a non starter for many. The dealers love to order them though, because the more they force you to buy the more profit they get. Anyone get stuck with a that top just because it was in stock?
Sponsored

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I thought proximity unlock was the automatic unlocking feature. Ie when you bring your hand to the door handle with a key on your person, it unlocks for you.

I thought that standard they came with handle-button unlock, meaning that you can unlock the door by pressing the button on the handle without needing your keys out.

OP
OP
FloridaLarry

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
  • Banned
I thought proximity unlock was the automatic unlocking feature. Ie when you bring your hand to the door handle with a key on your person, it unlocks for you.

I thought that standard they came with handle-button unlock, meaning that you can unlock the door by pressing the button on the handle without needing your keys out.
No, the button on door handle IS the proximity lock, I thought.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Engineer
To each their own I guess. I had the same attitude as you previously, but once I had proximity locks, I wouldn't go without them again.

As for the one touch top, a body color hard top was a must have, and the extra $1,500 over that option was a worthwhile upgrade to me. I go open air far more often when its only the touch of a button away.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I have proximity lock, it's great and I love it. However, I thought that feature was specifically the auto-unlock due to proximity, not the ability to unlock by touching a button. I thought they came standard with button handle unlock.

Anyone without proximity who can weigh in?

Sponsored

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Engineer
No, the button on door handle IS the proximity lock, I thought.
@Ratiogear is correct, proximity locks keep you from ever having to take the fob out of your pocket. The Jeep unlocks by touching the handle when the fob is in proximity. You can also lock it by pressing the button on the handle.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Proximity Locks are one of my favorite options. I have it on every car I can have it on. It's nice to never have to take out your remote.

OP
OP
FloridaLarry

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
  • Banned
Uh, I also like proximity locks and had them in every car I've drive in the past 5 years. I didn't pay $650 extra for them, which was my point. They should be part of another group you are already getting.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I have proximity locks on my rebel and I couldn't tell you how annoyed I get every time I reach for the door handle on the jeep and it's locked. Especially annoying when you've got your hands full. Well worth $645 for a lifetime of easy access without having to ever reach for the key. The only option we don't have that I wish we did.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Engineer
Uh, I also like proximity locks and had them in every car I've drive in the past 5 years. I didn't pay $650 extra for them, which was my point. They should be part of another group you are already getting.
I prefer that Jeep not raise the base price by $650, and allow customers to select the options that are important to them, and within their individual budget.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have proximity locks on my rebel and I couldn't tell you how annoyed I get every time I reach for the door handle on the jeep and it's locked. Especially annoying when you've got your hands full. Well worth $645 for a lifetime of easy access without having to ever reach for the key. The only option we don't have that I wish we did.
Previously it was difficult to add Proximity Locks. I think that has changed. You can buy all the needed parts and have the dealer flash your JL if you want Proximity now.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am sure the proximity locks on your other cars were priced into the vehicle even though it was not à la carte. They buried the cost into the car somewhere.

Last edited:

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
They wouldn't sell me a sport s with proximity key even though the website said it was an option at the time. Ive heard it can be installed aftermarket and i will definitely be looking into that.

I hate option packages, i think everything would be selected individually in a perfect world... Being 6'5" with a tall torso i cant fit in anything with a sunroof, even full size pickups. Sunroofs being included in every good option package with no option to delete severely limits my car buying choices.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yes, you did. They just didn't make it a separate line item on the window sticker.

jeeeeeeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
They wouldn't sell me a sport s with proximity key even though the website said it was an option at the time. Ive heard it can be installed aftermarket and i will definitely be looking into that.

I hate option packages, i think everything would be selected individually in a perfect world... Being 6'5" with a tall torso i cant fit in anything with a sunroof, even full size pickups. Sunroofs being included in every good option package with no option to delete severely limits my car buying choices.
FYI, you can retrofit it: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...nstructions-parts-links-on-jl-wrangler.49241/
Sponsored