NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I'm starting to think that the reason that they left the fold down front windshield is so that people can save their windshield from being broken by gravel and other small road debris.

I have to wonder though... If a vehicle is that prone to windshield cracks, maybe their is a design issue that needs to be addressed?
Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
does anyone have any idea if a windshiild banner , that goes across the top few inches would help to reduce the paossibility of cracking I am pretty sure what ever hit mine was in the top inch or so and the the winchiled cracked down wards form there> There is no chip in the glass just a crack. And on a similar note would wone of those hood deflection thingys force some of the rocks up and over the top instead of into the windshield?

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Last rock crack I had on a car was from a rock kicked up by a car in another lane as it was passing me. It came at an angle where it would not have been affected by a deflection device on the front of the hood. I tend to stay far enough back that I don't have to react abruptly if the driver in front of me slows down, but I still get rocks sometimes.

Daytona125

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Truck driver
2 weeks 2,000 km's. Got the dash cam video, small tink and 2 cracks all the way down the windshield!!!! $590 can dollars. CRAP!!!
IMG_0092[1].JPG

ManLovesRobot

First Name
Manus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Safelite just came out to replace my windshield. They brought the glass with part ending in 14 instead of 15. 14 has some antenna built in at the top and was $486.25. The 15 part is what I needed and now they are saying that is $617. Grrrrrrr. Glad I got the $0 glass deductible going forward.

Sponsored

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
Add me to the club. Will post pictures tomorrow but I had a golf ball size chunk of something hit just below the drivers wiper blade while I was driving about 70 MPH down the interstate going home. Hit so hard from the outside that it cause a good size explosion of small glass debris to hit me on the inside and was all over my dash, me and the steering column.

Stopped at the local glass shop and scheduled an appointment tomorrow for replacement at $448 installed. Numerous times I had to explain to the dizzy chick at the glass shop desk to make sure she ordered the correct glass for the JL and not JK. She insisted that the JL was the same as the JK and the JK was the "upgrade model". Finally had a tech come out and to show him and he finally set her straight.

20180628_151036.jpg

20180628_151108.jpg

Last edited:

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks!

WastedPenguin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (JL); 2017 Chevrolet Traverse LT
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
2 days after I got my jeep, a rock, from the other lane, flew up and put a big chip in my windshield. LUCKILY it didn't crack. Safelite came out and fixed and it is barely noticeable. Since I've had several rocks hit the windshield, but no cracks or chips. I'm definitely calling my insurer and getting $0 deductible for glass...

Sponsored

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
You can buy the 'Gorilla Glass' windshield from Mopar I believe. I haven't priced it, but since mopar is selling it, it would be a high price before I even look"

psw757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Lariat fx4
Is the mopar gorilla glass the acoustic glass that comes on the JL?

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Is the mopar gorilla glass the acoustic glass that comes on the JL?
I am not sure if it comes standard, mine didn't...but perhaps that could be on the order form.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm thinking about starting a thread for folks who haven't ever had a cracked windshield.

4th Wrangler here, tens of thousands of miles, 25 MPH county roads to 70 MPH interstates, offroad use, below zero in winter, above 100 in summer...and I have never once had a windshield on a Wrangler crack on me. And there's a rock quarry 2 miles from my house so there are 80,000 lb. rock trucks on the roads around here constantly.