Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I was at Cosco today and asked them about upgrading my tires. I have a 2018 Sahara w/18 inch rims and want to get 285/65/18. The Cisco guy said “ what’s the original size of your tires?” I told him 255/70/18. He said that if I brought the individual tires in they could mount them, but cannot put them on. Is this normal??
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That's how my Costco is. They will only mount and install stock size tires.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Ya. Costco is weird like that. Go to Discount tire.

Brenden

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon unlimited manual, 2021 Ram 1500 ecodiesel crew
Walmart / sames club are the same. If you want a different size other than whats on the stock you have to roll them in off the vehicle and say it's for a trailer.

Sponsored

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
Costco only installs stock tires sizes because installing other sizes can lead to vehicle damage or even cause crashes. This isn't really concern for Wranglers since they're designed from day 1 to take larger tires - even those larger than fitted from the factory. However, when you're running a large corporation, it is much easier to create "one size fits all" rules to limit liability.

These seems like an instance where Costco's insurance carrier says "your price is X if you only install sizes on the door sticker or Y (much more than X) if you want to install other sizes" and Costco took the better rate.

BTW, "Cosco" stand for Chinese Off Shore Shipping Company. Costco is a US retailer that pays its employees a living wage and - surprise - when you aren't paying a "fuck you wage" you get workers who are motivated to GAF.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I’ve had no issues with Costco. I upsized the Stock tires on my KL with KO2s and now my JL. I suspect I’ll look at them when I swap my rims out, if the price is right.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I much prefer loading up mounted wheels in my truck and installing them myself, have had too many mishaps when shops put them on my vehicles.

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
My local BJ's Wholesale Club, similar to COSTCO, will sell larger size tires to you but will not mount them.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Yep, pretty typical. I once got Costco to mount 33x10.5’s on my old XJ, but only because that’s what I rolled in on. That was a number of years ago though. I’m sure they’ve gotten even stricter on their policy since then.

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
In contrast, I have had no issues at the local Discount Tire.
I have always received excellent service from (California Tire) Discount Tire.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I've heard this same thing, for years. I've heard that they will only put the exact tire size offered on your vehicle, for that year modeel, even if on different years the vehicle has larger sizes.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Just a little off topic.

I rolled into Sam's Club with my lifted 2019 JL Sport on 35's to have them do a 5 tire rotation. They did it per my instruction, and it took them about a half hour. They wheel balanced all five tires in the process.

The best part, no charge. They did it absolutely free. The shop supervisor told me no charge for club member tire rotations. Even though I certainly did not purchase my tires or wheels there.

Clearly beats the Jeep Wave baloney where the dealership free service will only rotate four. And even then you have to argue for 15 minutes in getting them to just charge you for the fifth, if they'll even do it at all.

I later checked with Costco, they would do the rotation but said that since they were 'oversized' tires they would have to charge me an additional $5 per wheel, $55 total.

Sam's Club really impressed me.

Jay

OP
OP
timn1984

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Just a little off topic.

I rolled into Sam's Club with my lifted 2019 JL Sport on 35's to have them do a 5 tire rotation. They did it per my instruction, and it took them about a half hour. They wheel balanced all five tires in the process.

The best part, no charge. They did it absolutely free. The shop supervisor told me no charge for club member tire rotations. Even though I certainly did not purchase my tires or wheels there.

Clearly beats the Jeep Wave baloney where the dealership free service will only rotate four. And even then you have to argue for 15 minutes in getting them to just charge you for the fifth, if they'll even do it at all.

I later checked with Costco, they would do the rotation but said that since they were 'oversized' tires they would have to charge me an additional $5 per wheel, $55 total.

Sam's Club really impressed me.

Jay
Wow that’s awesome for Sams, I wish we had One close To us, but no such luck. I had no problem with my dealer rotating 5 tires with the Jeep Wave program. I’m done with it now, going to be doing my own oil changes and rotations
Sponsored