console or glove box vault...

obiwankabaldi

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Always had a safe under my seat. Now need to go console or glove box. I see Tuffy with a console one but wondering about those that have had them. It seems that the glove box one is actually more accessible. But not having had to deal with this I am not sure. Just looking for some suggestions or experience. Are they both equally safe and secure?
Sponsored

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4-door)
Always had a safe under my seat. Now need to go console or glove box. I see Tuffy with a console one but wondering about those that have had them. It seems that the glove box one is actually more accessible. But not having had to deal with this I am not sure. Just looking for some suggestions or experience. Are they both equally safe and secure?
I just installed the Tuffy security console this weekend (part # 348). While I'm relatively happy with it now that it's installed, the actual installation was AWFUL. The instructions leave a lot to be desired, and because they're all black & white it's almost impossible to see the specific part & orientation in the drawings. In addition one of the parts was assembled backwards at the factory and I had to drill out a rivet and then rivet it in the right place.

I like having a place to store a firearm securely but I wish their console went together easier.

In the end I have these suggestions if you buy it:
1) Buy a couple of those gun magnet mounts- I attached them to the two vertical supports within the console so the actual pistol & magazines hang from the sides leaving room in the center of the console for other items (in my case a holster and two boxes of shells)
2) Buy the optional combination lock. It's super easy to set your own combination and you'll never be in a bind where you can't find the key or don't have it with you. The combination lock installed quick & easy and it feels super solid when operating it
3) When installing the main console lid to the vertical supports I used a tapered nail set to help align the mounting holes. They need to be perfectly lined up to accept the hardware so having something to work them together helps.

IMG_20180622_154520059.jpg

*In this picture you can see the "hold-open" rod attached to the passenger's side (the screwdriver is pointing right at it), however the flange it mounts to is actually on the right side.

You also lose the functionality of the little LED on the back of the console because the lid blocks it while open. (Not a big deal in my opinion)

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
I just installed the Tuffy security console this weekend (part # 348). While I'm relatively happy with it now that it's installed, the actual installation was AWFUL. The instructions leave a lot to be desired, and because they're all black & white it's almost impossible to see the specific part & orientation in the drawings. In addition one of the parts was assembled backwards at the factory and I had to drill out a rivet and then rivet it in the right place.

I like having a place to store a firearm securely but I wish their console went together easier.

In the end I have these suggestions if you buy it:
1) Buy a couple of those gun magnet mounts- I attached them to the two vertical supports within the console so the actual pistol & magazines hang from the sides leaving room in the center of the console for other items (in my case a holster and two boxes of shells)
2) Buy the optional combination lock. It's super easy to set your own combination and you'll never be in a bind where you can't find the key or don't have it with you. The combination lock installed quick & easy and it feels super solid when operating it
3) When installing the main console lid to the vertical supports I used a tapered nail set to help align the mounting holes. They need to be perfectly lined up to accept the hardware so having something to work them together helps.

IMG_20180622_154520059.jpg

*In this picture you can see the "hold-open" rod attached to the passenger's side (the screwdriver is pointing right at it), however the flange it mounts to is actually on the right side.

You also lose the functionality of the little LED on the back of the console because the lid blocks it while open. (Not a big deal in my opinion)

Agreed that the install was not fun at all. I had to open up the bolt holes a little with a 3/16" bit to get them to align and let the bolts through correctly.
That hold-open rod should be on the other side. That looks like a wrong part or mistake by the manufacturer. Mine came with the rod on the driver side.
Once installed, it seems super secure though.

IMG_8679.JPG

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4-door)
I have the light and I didn't think it got much in the way. It was definitely awkward getting the lid assembly into the console and holding it in place to start bolting on the side guards and "legs". I didn't have it available I but a second set of hands would go a really long way.

dbtran

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Agreed that the install was not fun at all. I had to open up the bolt holes a little with a 3/16" bit to get them to align and let the bolts through correctly.
That hold-open rod should be on the other side. That looks like a wrong part or mistake by the manufacturer. Mine came with the rod on the driver side.
Once installed, it seems super secure though.

IMG_8679.JPG

Could you snap a few more pics of the install? The instructions are terrible. TIA

Sponsored

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
I just installed this console vault in my JLUR and it went in - no trouble - in under an hour by myself. there were a couple times where I felt like I could use a 3rd hand, but I changed my "approach" by kneeling in the driver's seat to come top-down and that resolved a lot of my issue.

FWIW mine looks like @redelses - it looks like the first ones out were not fully thought out and they switched? not sure. But I know the one like I got - with the support bracket on the driver side - was pretty easy to install.

there are two thin strips (space hiders for the top) and two standing brackets. it all screws together; I prefer the single-unit that drops in, but for whatever reason this is how they did theirs. You can screw one thin strip on to the lid, then put lid in, then screw other thin strip on. Then put the two support brackets on as in the instruction.

I also was concerned about the light - I thought it was in the way, but it wasn't. the vault sits about an inch below the light. basically if you stand the support brackets up inside the console, thats where the lid sits on top of. I wound up popping the plastic shroud off the light so I could work around it easier, and popped it back on when I was done. I can even access the usb port thats inside. So - they must have made some changes or something, because it felt easier than I anticipated from this thread.

I could throw up pictures- but it would look like @redelses so wouldn't be much point ;)

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Installed this a few weeks ago. Didn’t like how dark it is inside the console especially when reaching in for a gun. Pulled the console out today and added a little led strip that I wired to the ignition on wire from my aux switches under the passenger footwell.

I also routed my usb wire out a hole I drilled down into the console so I didn’t have to have it coming out of the safe. Swapped the safe hardware with all black too for a cleaner install.

Oh yeah and this thing is a big a pain to install as everyone has mentioned but once it’s in it’s solid. Install went a little smoother the second time.

B0B499AF-3638-497D-BF16-FF6E2747B12C.jpeg

BE2CE38A-EA20-413B-9737-DF77AC6F9EFC.jpeg
Sponsored