Glove box lock replacement

ZackM330

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL Sahara
Had a damaged glove box, and had to order a replacement from the dealership. Obviously, it comes without the lock cylinder, so I'm trying to remove my old one. The dealership was no help, because they said they hadn't removed one yet, and didn't have documentation on how to do so.

Sounds like BS to me, but whatever.

It's different than the JK cylinder because it doesn't have the one little release tab on it.

Anyone removed one of these yet and can give a guy some tips?
Sponsored

Bril

First Name
Bill TxRedRubi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392, 2024 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn't find any instructions online but managed to figure out how to remove the lock cylinder.

1) Insert your key and turn it fully clockwise. You will notice the key only rotates 1/4 of a turn back and forth

2) While looking at the back of the latch turn the key about 1/8 of a turn until you see the metal tab circled in red.

3) Push this tab down with a small flathead screwdriver so it's flush with the cylinder while rotating the key counterclockwise. If you are successful the cylinder will turn beyond the 1/4 limitation and pop out from the latch.

Your key will hold the pins and springs together however I would suggest only removing the lock when you are ready to immediately move it to your new glove box. Installation is basically the reverse by inserting and turning the lock .clockwise.

20190423_165832.jpg

20190423_165348.jpg

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn't find any instructions online but managed to figure out how to remove the lock cylinder.

1) Insert your key and turn it fully clockwise. You will notice the key only rotates 1/4 of a turn back and forth

2) While looking at the back of the latch turn the key about 1/8 of a turn until you see the metal tab circled in red.

3) Push this tab down with a small flathead screwdriver so it's flush with the cylinder while rotating the key counterclockwise. If you are successful the cylinder will turn beyond the 1/4 limitation and pop out from the latch.

Your key will hold the pins and springs together however I would suggest only removing the lock when you are ready to immediately move it to your new glove box. Installation is basically the reverse by inserting and turning the lock .clockwise.

Jeep Wrangler JL Glove box lock replacement 20190423_165348

Thanks for posting this! I need to replace my glove box door and was wondering how to swap the lock. Very helpful.

zeroquanta

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon

Thanks for posting this, just had someone try to break into my glovebox while I was on a run. Snapped the handle, didn't notice till I got back home. Went back just a bit ago and found my handle (and cylinder). Looking like I have to replace the whole glovebox, but I wasn't sure about the lock cylinder situation. I will order the new box and move the cylinder over as per your instructions.

Thanks again.

zeroquanta

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
Just got my new glovebox in today. Following Bril's instructions I was able to remove the lock cylinder pretty easily. Slides right into the new glovebox handle.... But that's about where the success ends unfortunately. If you look at Bril's picture above you will notice a sort of broken looking plastic at the end of the lock cylinder. I had thought this might have been left over from injection molding or something(hoped) but turns out this is what actually prevent the handle from moving when it is locked. His cylinder and mine have had that pin sheared off.

Makes the old cylinder worth less but not worthless I suppose. I am considering surgery on this piece and building a new pin with some epoxy a dremmel and a new metal pin rather than the drama of rekeying a new cylinder. Though honestly I was pretty sure I was never going to lock the glovebox again, just wont keep anything in there. Not worth 100+ dollar cost everytime somebody wants to try to get to my registration........ I think I will invest in the steel box that goes in the center console and move on.

I could get onboard with a steel/aluminum glovebox if anybody decides to make one. Or taking suggestions on the friendliest crime freeist places in the United States to move too. Utah and Montana are starting to look better and better.

JL GB Lock cylinder.JPG
Sponsored