Sponsored

Consensus on best wireless Carplay dongle?

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Just got my new '21 JLU (8.4") and love CarPlay, but wish it was wireless. Have the same issue with the aftermarket system I put in my last vehicle so I've decided now is the time to act.

I've googled a bit and I've seen a couple posts on here about dongles people are buying, but is there any consensus on which one to pick? Like on compatibility, reliability, speed, etc., or are they basically equivalent? At a minimum I've seen:

Carlinkit 2.0
CarPlay2Air
Ottocast U2

I might even be missing others.
Sponsored

Bhodi11

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
I have a couple carplay2air units. Work great. Still waiting on my 392 so can’t comment about a Jeep but for our Audi and Suburban been pretty solid.

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I have a couple carplay2air units. Work great. Still waiting on my 392 so can’t comment about a Jeep but for our Audi and Suburban been pretty solid.
Nice thanks for the input. I get the feeling Carlinkit and carplay2air are pretty solid and neither is a bad choice. Haven't heard anyone mention the Otto other than one site.

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
Rumor has it that Apple is looking to delete the Lightning port on future phones. Might be year out but when they do, I’m sure they will have to allow wireless CarPlay for Uconnect and others.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Carlinkit 2.0s on our Ram and Jeep, and they’ve proven to be pretty reliable. Looks like 3.0 is out now.

Sponsored

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
They are likely all made in the same factory.
Exactly this. They use the exact same website to receive software updates. (192.168.50.2)

One word of caution. These are third party devices - it’s entirely possible Apple could remove their ability to backdoor the wireless connection in the future.

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Exactly this. They use the exact same website to receive software updates. (192.168.50.2)

One word of caution. These are third party devices - it’s entirely possible Apple could remove their ability to backdoor the wireless connection in the future.
Ah interesting. Sounds like not worth spending much time debating then

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

That isn't an internet address or "website". That's an internal address. I imagine the device opens a port for updates.

TimothyFS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Reached my highes level of incompetence - Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Just got my new '21 JLU (8.4") and love CarPlay, but wish it was wireless. Have the same issue with the aftermarket system I put in my last vehicle so I've decided now is the time to act.

I've googled a bit and I've seen a couple posts on here about dongles people are buying, but is there any consensus on which one to pick? Like on compatibility, reliability, speed, etc., or are they basically equivalent? At a minimum I've seen:

Carlinkit 2.0
CarPlay2Air
Ottocast U2

I might even be missing others.
I've had my Carlinkkit 2.0 for about a year and love it. The fact I can get in my Jeep and not have to spend time plugging in or unplugging every time I get in or out makes it a worthy upgrade. I tucked it into the center console so the dash is free to be used for other electronics

Sponsored

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I decided to try a Carlinkit 3.0 Mini from Amazon. So far I'm pretty disappointed...It worked once after setup, but never connects to my iPhone when I get in the Jeep. I try hitting search on the screen and even manually connecting to the Bluetooth network it it displays on the screen from my phone but it still doesn't connect. It only works if I clear the pair list and forget it on my phone and redo the setup process, but that only lasts until I turn it off and then I'm back in the bad state.

It says there's no firmware updates available, I made sure to unpair my phone from general Uconnect Bluetooth. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but after another time or two of fiddling with it I'll have to return it and try something else.

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Well my update from this week is that I returned the Mini. It just stopped working completely, never could find my phone, and would just have a red dot on the back. A funny catch was that on Amazon the Mini has a different return policy than the others...just says "refund or replacement available" instead of giving me firm refund dates. I first had to talk to support who gave me suggestions like I "plug it in to the correct port" and told me it was outside of the return window (since the mini has no return window). Eventually they gave up when I said it had been less than two weeks and they gave me my money back and let me keep the device.

I wonder if they knew the mini had issues... Since I didn't lose any money I just ordered a Carlinkit 3.0 (non-mini) that has a clear return policy. Hopefully the big one will work.

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
My initial experience with the Carlinkit 3.0 (standard) has been much more positive than with the mini. Connection is quick, seamless, and happens every time I've gotten into the Jeep. It's only been a couple days but I'd feel comfortable recommending that one.

SecretChimp

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I bought one (Carlinkit 3.0) a month ago. It’s been flawless. I bought two more. They were both dead on arrival.
Although the two newer ones had slightly different packaging (bigger box) they all had the same model # and came from the same vendor (Carlinkit on Amazon).

So I ordered two Cplay2air dongles and will give them a shot.

The return thru Amazon was easy. Dropped them off at Whole Foods Market who now does Amazon returns. Amazon credited my account within 2 hours.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a Carlinkit 4 and am having problems.
Reading further, it won't work if you have other bluetooth devices connected to your phone. I must have my hearing aids connected to provide hands-free use here in Ontario.

In a 5 hour trip I had to discontinue using the Carlinkit 4, which I bought from amazon.

I'm discouraged....

DaveL
Sponsored