ZombieMojitoJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Saraha
Vehicle Showcase
I'm confused about the different models/versions/trim levels on JL Wranglers. We bought a 2019 Wrangler JL 2-door Sport S and love it. When we were looking, we saw Sports (which I'm assuming are the base model), Sport S (like ours), Rubicon (which at our dealer looked and was priced like it was the luxury version), Moab (which I have no idea where this fits into the line) and Sahara (again, priced like a luxury version).

I have since come to find out the Rubicon is not the luxury version, but the version for the most aggressive off-road (is that correct?). And I have no idea where the whole Altitude package fits in.

Would really appreciate if someone could lay out what the different version are, and how they differ from each other.

Thanks.

Best, -Tim
The front grills are the dead giveaways on the model distinction. Sport GRILL are color matched. Sahara are GRAY, Rubis are BLACK.
Sponsored

HOOKEM93

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
correct Tim

a Sport plus some amenities like power windows and locks and A/C etc. There is a upgrade package referred to as 24S (at least on the automatics--there is a corresponding upgrade package for the manual transmission Sports too) that *may* (I'm not certain) bring the Sport up to a Sport S.

I think luxury, at least as you heard the word in this context was about price and capability, particular off road capability, rather than the classic definition of luxury we associated with vehicles like creature comfort amenities.

While all, including the Sahara Wrangler are off road capable, we tend to associate the Sahara as capturing the niche of Wrangler owners more interested in creature comfort, and the Rubicon owners more interested in off road functionality. I paint with broad strokes here. And I cast no judgement on either segment.

Remember a second ago I said that I paint with broad strokes here? Here's a perfect example. The Moab is a specialized Sahara that has the creature comforts that better approach the Rubicon off road capabilities. Again--broad strokes. Some Rubicons will never see more than paved road. Some Moab's, especially properly customized after market, will turn some Rubicon owner's heads in envy.

All things equal, the $ spent on a Rubicon from the factory are apt to be allocated more to capability than creature comfort--so in the classic sense of luxury you may be right. On the other hand there are some tripped out Rubicons that will blow you away with creature comforts.

Some Rubicon owners might retort, "yeah Tim, the 'luxury' of my stock Rubicon kicking that stock Sahara's ass on the trails...." ; - )

Basically...more of your $, again, are spent on factory items that control the rigs capability to go places, than go places in classic creature comfort. By no means is a Rubicon some stripped of creature comforts rig either.

The Altitude label is the symbol of what are predominately snazz factors (eye candy) added by the factory to either the Sport or Sahara models.
The Altitude package has some performance upgrades as well as the blacked out bezels & wheels (heavy duty gas shocks, heavy duty disc breaks, etc.)

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I have to say it is somewhat confusing to a new comer.

When I was looking, in early -mid 2018, I had having a hard time getting a true distinction between the JK and JL. It was obvious the JL was the new model, but what made it confusing was that there were 2018 JKs and JLs on the sites, and to an untrained eye, they looked the same. Unlike most auto series changes, where there is a significant difference between new series.

Then add the trims, which are not explained well, and the dealership inventories around here seemed to have option packages on so many different trim levels that looking at a Sport S would sometimes have same.better options than a Sahara. Then sometimes the images on the site were stock images, so it would say JLU, but show a 2dr and just add more confusion.

Then identifying the option "packages" was even more frustrating. I wanted certain options, but you had to get certain packages to get those options, and it seemed like I could never get all of my options without a bunch of other stuff I didn't want. It was like cable TV when you want the 5 channel sports package, but also have to get 30 infomercial channels, 3 home shopping channels, and 2 kids channels. :)

So I can relate to the confusion. Of course now that I own one, and have had more time to digest, I am not as confused, but during my initial search, I was all over the place, trying to make sense of it all.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Weird. It doesn't look like there would be anyplace to scrape at all
Multiply the slopes and size of rocks by 5 when on a video lol. Never looks like real life. There were at least 2 parts were I saw potential scrape, and he probably scraped due to breakover angle a lot.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I'm confused about the different models/versions/trim levels on JL Wranglers. We bought a 2019 Wrangler JL 2-door Sport S and love it. When we were looking, we saw Sports (which I'm assuming are the base model), Sport S (like ours), Rubicon (which at our dealer looked and was priced like it was the luxury version), Moab (which I have no idea where this fits into the line) and Sahara (again, priced like a luxury version).

I have since come to find out the Rubicon is not the luxury version, but the version for the most aggressive off-road (is that correct?). And I have no idea where the whole Altitude package fits in.

Would really appreciate if someone could lay out what the different version are, and how they differ from each other.

Thanks.

Best, -Tim
Okay, so here's the best way I can explain this:

Sport (bare-bones, no power locks/ windows)
Sport S (steps up to power locks/ windows)
Sahara (only available as Unlimited in the US)
Rubicon (off-road beast and usually the most expensive)

The above models are the actual models. Everything else is based on one of these models. Jeep typically refers to them as limited editions. See below:

Black and Tan, Freedom, Willys, Sport Altitude: Based on the Sport model
Sahara Altitude, Moab: Based on the Sahara model
No special editions currently available for 2018 - 2020 Rubicon model

I hope this helps and honestly, don't pay any attention to the snarky comments on this forum. It's easy to get confused by all of the variations, especially if you are new to Jeep. Just remember, Jeep loves limited editions and most of the time they are appearance packages built on one of the existing trim levels.

Sponsored

wberry536

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 JLU Sahara, ‘20 JLU Rubicon
Between the link shared by toolman514 and the other posts, the trim differences are well covered. Not mentioned in the posts, but in the link: 2 door not available in Sahara, and Sahara gets an upgraded suspension compared to Sports/S (Rubicon is heavier duty than both).

Sahara is the only trim in USDM with an optional 5 position transfer case, 3.6 etorque, and leather wrapped dash panels (that are still designed be hosed down if you so desire).

Rubicon is the only trim in USDM with factory locking diffs, lower gearing, disconnecting sway bars, etc.

OP I do understand your question regarding the trims from the perspective that you need to think about the Jeep you want, and how you will use it. For some car models, it’s as easy as picking the highest trim and ticking all the boxes & building the most expensive version you can afford to have the best that model has to offer. With the JL, deciding first how you will use it will lead to more happiness with the trim you ultimately picked down the road, compared to just building the most expensive version you can. You can build a 59k+ Sahara, a 42k 4 door Rubicon, or even a 62k one - but what are your plans for it?
The Sahara also has the E-Torque in the 2.0l turbo. They did away with it in my '20 Rubicon even though it was available in the '19 Rubicon. Still available in the '20 Sahara.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
If you prefer some visual explanations, great video.

Bit dated as they are comparing 2018 but still JLs and most still holds true.

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Multiply the slopes and size of rocks by 5 when on a video lol. Never looks like real life. There were at least 2 parts were I saw potential scrape, and he probably scraped due to breakover angle a lot.
I wasn't picking on @Sean L if it came across that way. It was more an observation that if I saw that, I would drive on it without a second thought and then be surprised to hear scraping.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't picking on @Sean L if it came across that way. It was more an observation that if I saw that, I would drive on it without a second thought and then be surprised to hear scraping.
I'll live... :movember:

Everyone in the group with 4 doors scraped, including the Rubicon Recon. I just happened to be the only one with a Sahara so naturally I got a good-natured ribbing but we all had fun. :)

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll live... :movember:

Everyone in the group with 4 doors scraped, including the Rubicon Recon. I just happened to be the only one with a Sahara so naturally I got a good-natured ribbing but we all had fun. :)
I was looking at ordering a Sport S of some kind, but now I kind of want to get a Sahara just to join Sean L. in defending Saharas.

My first jeep was a Sahara TJ and it did everything off-road I ever asked it to do.

IF it really was a "luxurious" option, why would you not want to be more comfortable where you are 90% of the time (on a road) AND still have all the capabilities of the Sport? That being said, I still only see aesthetic changes and nothing luxurious.

My only question is why the 18 inch wheels vs 17 inch on everything else? Does that provide a smoother ride at all or is it also just aesthetics?

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at ordering a Sport S of some kind, but now I kind of want to get a Sahara just to join Sean L. in defending Saharas.

My first jeep was a Sahara TJ and it did everything off-road I ever asked it to do.

IF it really was a "luxurious" option, why would you not want to be more comfortable where you are 90% of the time (on a road) AND still have all the capabilities of the Sport? That being said, I still only see aesthetic changes and nothing luxurious.

My only question is why the 18 inch wheels vs 17 inch on everything else? Does that provide a smoother ride at all or is it also just aesthetics?
Spot on assessment.

My only complaint with the 18 inch wheels is that the selection of tires is very limited and they can get pretty expensive compared to a similar size with a 17 inch wheel.

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Spot on assessment.

My only complaint with the 18 inch wheels is that the selection of tires is very limited and they can get pretty expensive compared to a similar size with a 17 inch wheel.
Hush. The smallest size the wheels I love are available in is 18" Don't stomp on my dreams. :(

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

I think it is because 18in wheels look more luxurious. But you'll end up having to get more expensive tires if you want the same amount of rubber. 17in wheels are better for off-roading. Why not just get a Sport S with all the fancy stuff? it'll be as comfortable as a Sahara. I think the Sahara is more than just comfort, it is also looks, it is all shiny and stuff.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it is because 18in wheels look more luxurious. But you'll end up having to get more expensive tires if you want the same amount of rubber. 17in wheels are better for off-roading. Why not just get a Sport S with all the fancy stuff? it'll be as comfortable as a Sahara. I think the Sahara is more than just comfort, it is also looks, it is all shiny and stuff.
I am still leaning towards ordering a Sport unless I can find a great deal on a 2018 Sahara that a dealer needs to move.

Silly as it sounds, the only thing on the Sahara that I want, which is not available on the Sport, is the 8.4 inch screen. Very annoying that it is trapped in the Sahara and Rubi.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I am still leaning towards ordering a Sport unless I can find a great deal on a 2018 Sahara that a dealer needs to move.

Silly as it sounds, the only thing on the Sahara that I want, which is not available on the Sport, is the 8.4 inch screen. Very annoying that it is trapped in the Sahara and Rubi.
Ohhh that's what it is. Not silly, the 8.4 inch screen is pretty cool. Maybe you can add it later? I don't know if you can. I like the 7 inch, it is enough for me, but I get it. Why don't you get a Rubicon :)? I found a ridiculous deal on my sport S, that's why I got it. I saw more deals on Sports than Saharas when looking around, obviously none on Rubicons. I don't like Saharas anyway, don't like the way look, the shininess is a little on the tacky side for me, and I like deals, I am frugal.
Sponsored