Sponsored

Confusion on Models/Trim Levels

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
I'm confused about the different models/versions/trim levels on JL Wranglers. We bought a 2019 Wrangler JL 2-door Sport S and love it. When we were looking, we saw Sports (which I'm assuming are the base model), Sport S (like ours), Rubicon (which at our dealer looked and was priced like it was the luxury version), Moab (which I have no idea where this fits into the line) and Sahara (again, priced like a luxury version).

I have since come to find out the Rubicon is not the luxury version, but the version for the most aggressive off-road (is that correct?). And I have no idea where the whole Altitude package fits in.

Would really appreciate if someone could lay out what the different version are, and how they differ from each other.

Thanks.

Best, -Tim
Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I think an easy way to view it is just go to the Jeep website. The sport is a base model and doesn't come with power locks or windows etc. The sport S has power standard and comes with some options you can add. The saraha is basically a sport with some additional options that you can't get on a sport and doesn't come in 2 door. A rubicon comes with e-lockers, wider axles, beefier axles, different transfer case and gears, etc, and a lot of options from the lower models as standard. The moab is an overpriced sahara with AWD.

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2020.html#/models/2020/wrangler?app=bmo&vehicle=wrangler&year=2020

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'm confused about the different models/versions/trim levels on JL Wranglers. We bought a 2019 Wrangler JL 2-door Sport S and love it. When we were looking, we saw Sports (which I'm assuming are the base model),
correct Tim

Sport S (like ours),
a Sport plus some amenities like power windows and locks and A/C etc. There is a upgrade package referred to as 24S (at least on the automatics--there is a corresponding upgrade package for the manual transmission Sports too) that *may* (I'm not certain) bring the Sport up to a Sport S.

Rubicon (which at our dealer looked and was priced like it was the luxury version),
I think luxury, at least as you heard the word in this context was about price and capability, particular off road capability, rather than the classic definition of luxury we associated with vehicles like creature comfort amenities.

While all, including the Sahara Wrangler are off road capable, we tend to associate the Sahara as capturing the niche of Wrangler owners more interested in creature comfort, and the Rubicon owners more interested in off road functionality. I paint with broad strokes here. And I cast no judgement on either segment.

Moab (which I have no idea where this fits into the line) and Sahara (again, priced like a luxury version).
Remember a second ago I said that I paint with broad strokes here? Here's a perfect example. The Moab is a specialized Sahara that has the creature comforts that better approach the Rubicon off road capabilities. Again--broad strokes. Some Rubicons will never see more than paved road. Some Moab's, especially properly customized after market, will turn some Rubicon owner's heads in envy.

I have since come to find out the Rubicon is not the luxury version,
All things equal, the $ spent on a Rubicon from the factory are apt to be allocated more to capability than creature comfort--so in the classic sense of luxury you may be right. On the other hand there are some tripped out Rubicons that will blow you away with creature comforts.

Some Rubicon owners might retort, "yeah Tim, the 'luxury' of my stock Rubicon kicking that stock Sahara's ass on the trails...." ; - )

but the version for the most aggressive off-road (is that correct?).
Basically...more of your $, again, are spent on factory items that control the rigs capability to go places, than go places in classic creature comfort. By no means is a Rubicon some stripped of creature comforts rig either.

And I have no idea where the whole Altitude package fits in.
The Altitude label is the symbol of what are predominately snazz factors (eye candy) added by the factory to either the Sport or Sahara models.

OP
OP
Timmyjoe

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Wow Rahneld, that is really helpful and exactly what I was looking for. At the local dealers, the Sahara's, Rubicon's and Moab's JL's were all in the $50,000+ price range, and I couldn't really distinguish which package was which, aside from the body stickers. And haven't yet seen an Altitude in person.

Thanks again for the explanation.

Best, -Tim

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm confused about the different models/versions/trim levels on JL Wranglers. We bought a 2019 Wrangler JL 2-door Sport S and love it. When we were looking, we saw Sports (which I'm assuming are the base model), Sport S (like ours), Rubicon (which at our dealer looked and was priced like it was the luxury version), Moab (which I have no idea where this fits into the line) and Sahara (again, priced like a luxury version).

I have since come to find out the Rubicon is not the luxury version, but the version for the most aggressive off-road (is that correct?). And I have no idea where the whole Altitude package fits in.

Would really appreciate if someone could lay out what the different version are, and how they differ from each other.

Thanks.

Best, -Tim
Sport - Base model, 17" steel wheels, 245/75R17 HT or AT tires

Sport S - Power windows/locks, tint, more available options, 17" aluminum wheels, 245/75R17 HT or AT tires

Black and Tan - Sport S with standard Tan Soft top and interior, 17" aluminum wheels, 245/75R17 AT tires

Sport Altitude - Sport S with standard Hard top, 18" black aluminum wheels, 255/70R18 HT tires

Willys - Sport S with upgraded suspension, 17" black aluminum wheels, 255/75R17 MT tires or 245/75R17 AT tires

Sahara - Standard painted fenders, and most of the options from a Sport S are standard, available automatic 4 wheel drive, 18" aluminum wheels, 255/70R18 HT or AT tires, Automatic transmission equipped Saharas are now all Mild Hybrids (Etorque BSG)

Rubicon - same luxury features and optioins as a Sahara, upgraded suspension, Dana 44 wide axle front and rear, locking differentials, electronically disconnecting sway bar, 4.10 axle ratio, 4:1 low gear transfer case, 17" aluminum wheels, 285/70R17 KO2 or MT tires

Sahara Altitude - Sahara with standard painted hard top, 18" black aluminum wheels, 255/70R18 HT or AT tires, Etorque for Automatic transmission.

MOAB (discontinued) - Fully loaded Sahara with upgraded suspension, Rubicon hood, Steel bumpers, automatic 4 wheel drive, 17" aluminum wheels, 255/75R17 KM2 tires

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@Sean L : happiness on the JL Forum for me is defined as seeing that someone (you) has posted after me with, despite my best attempts at a strong answer, a better more concise one than mine that I in turn learn from.

Well played sir, well played. It is pleasure to not see, as was the case this time, someone ignore my post and reply with a subset of something I said.

MrEMan1287

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara 2.0t
@Rahneld & @Sean L you guys nailed it.

I researched for so long between Saharas and Rubicons trying to determine which was best for me. And then in the middle of my research the Moab shows up, which was almost what I wanted, but I didn't realize it at the time.

Went with a Sahara as it better fit my needs and then aftermarket customized it which canceled out any reason I might have needed a Moab. So I'm happy with what I've got. But man, having a simple breakdown to start my research out like you guys just did would have made it a lot easier to start things out!

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara

Thanks.

Best, -Tim
Sports - bare bones

Sports S bare bones with minimal creature comforts

Sahara - lots of creature comforts(that's why it's pricey) not really meant to leave the pavement

Rubicon - Off-road ready right out the showroom

All other Editions are usually the Sports S with optional equipment reflected by the edition name, can be anywhere from decals to hardware.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sahara - lots of creature comforts(that's why it's pricey) not really meant to leave the pavement
Yep.... That leather wrapped steering wheel really keeps me on the road.... :giggle:

216861.jpg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@Sean L : happiness on the JL Forum for me is defined as seeing that someone (you) has posted after me with, despite my best attempts at a strong answer, a better more concise one than mine that I in turn learn from.

Well played sir, well played. It is pleasure to not see, as was the case this time, someone ignore my post and reply with a subset of something I said.
I feel you did have a strong answer, that the OP did find helpful, but I also thought I could contribute with some raw data on each model to help clear things up even more.

Hats off to you Rahneld, and your exhaustively written articles on ESS and the dual battery setup. Once you've been in one of those threads, I feel like theres nothing I can say that you haven't already said. :like:

Hitdog540

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2015BMW 550xi
Occupation
Retired
Great explanation from all! Wouldn't this have been a better question asked prior to the
posters purchase?