Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
has it returned? Did they replace the
Front spring isolators with lift?
It has not returned. The isolators were replaced, but can't remember if they were Mopar or aftermarket.

I will also say that before having the lift installed, I checked both lower ball joints and the castle nuts were already tightened to spec, and I tightened them a little more, turning the nut just enough for the Cotter pin to line up again, and I still had the clicking. I did not check the upper ball joints.
Sponsored

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport
Update: week 10 since I brought mine in is almost here still in the shop no eta on a when a engineer will be able to look at it. I don’t get updates from the dealer it’s been 2 weeks almost since I had any new information from my case manager at FCA. The only time I can get her on the phone is fist thing in the morning when she gets there then her reason for not having any information for me is that it’s early and she hasn’t checked her voicemails even though it’s been days since I last called. I’ve asked for a supervisor and have been told that she is the case manager and I can’t talk to anyone else. If you can’t fix something you give a warranty on after almost 3 months you should offer a replacement or a refund. I don’t know how FCA can expect to keep customers with service like this.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
This metallic clicking noise at slow speed( think driveway or parking lot when turning slightly either in forward or reverse) has been driving me crazy. I even hear it on YouTube videos of guys and gals wheeling JL’s. My ball joints have been checked 3 times both top and bottom and are all set to spec but I still hear this horrible noise daily on road and off road. Anyone think it’s possibly coming from the cotter pins, or even maybe the aluminum flag nuts contacting the frame (front control arms or track bar) ? I’m at a loss, it’s an aluminum metallic clicking, popping type sound. Anyone had any luck with resolving this noise or have any ideas or suggestions besides ball joints themselves being loose? I’ll attach a few videos.. To me the sound when I wiggle the cotter pins on the ball joints sounds similar, I’ve since bent them all to the point where they don’t rattle when touching them, but I’m still hearing the same clicking noise at slow speed turns, sounds like its both driver and passenger sides. TIA

JL wrangler metallic clicking noise

JL ball joint cotter pins

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport
This metallic clicking noise at slow speed( think driveway or parking lot when turning slightly either in forward or reverse) has been driving me crazy. I even hear it on YouTube videos of guys and gals wheeling JL’s. My ball joints have been checked 3 times both top and bottom and are all set to spec but I still hear this horrible noise daily on road and off road. Anyone think it’s possibly coming from the cotter pins, or even maybe the aluminum flag nuts contacting the frame (front control arms or track bar) ? I’m at a loss, it’s an aluminum metallic clicking, popping type sound. Anyone had any luck with resolving this noise or have any ideas or suggestions besides ball joints themselves being loose? I’ll attach a few videos.. To me the sound when I wiggle the cotter pins on the ball joints sounds similar, I’ve since bent them all to the point where they don’t rattle when touching them, but I’m still hearing the same clicking noise at slow speed turns, sounds like its both driver and passenger sides. TIA

Yep sounds like mine good luck.

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
Update: week 10 since I brought mine in is almost here still in the shop no eta on a when a engineer will be able to look at it. I don’t get updates from the dealer it’s been 2 weeks almost since I had any new information from my case manager at FCA. The only time I can get her on the phone is fist thing in the morning when she gets there then her reason for not having any information for me is that it’s early and she hasn’t checked her voicemails even though it’s been days since I last called. I’ve asked for a supervisor and have been told that she is the case manager and I can’t talk to anyone else. If you can’t fix something you give a warranty on after almost 3 months you should offer a replacement or a refund. I don’t know how FCA can expect to keep customers with service like this.
You're not the only one who wonders this. Like I said in my previous posts, I'm buying a Ford once I get my payment down enough and hopefully the bronco will be out and a good replacement for my Jeep.

Sponsored

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ

I have the exact same thing going on and have been for weeks - driving me batty figuring it out and it sounds like the cotter pins are rattling/popping. My ball joints are torqued right so I've narrowed it down to the cotter pins which are a PITA to remove and replace. Mine were bent all to hell so I've left them in there for now.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
I have the exact same thing going on and have been for weeks - driving me batty figuring it out and it sounds like the cotter pins are rattling/popping. My ball joints are torqued right so I've narrowed it down to the cotter pins which are a PITA to remove and replace. Mine were bent all to hell so I've left them in there for now.
I was hoping maybe it was that simple but I’ve tweaked all cotter pins to where they dont budge or rattle and I still hear it. I guess next I’ll remove them all and test that theory to be sure. I’ll report back. SometimesIt’s just easier to cut them off and put new ones. I get it though, it’s driving me bat shit crazy too. Keep me posted if you get yours resolved please.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
I have tighten the 4 balljoint nuts,. Keeps clicking,.
I have tighten them again this morning to the second slots on the nut for the cotterpin to go true, and still clicking when turning.. i am calling the dealership tomorrow. It is sad to pay so much money for a vehicle and have problem at under 1k . Did you guys tighten more than two slots? I dont want to strip the treads it seems really tight. Tanks
Did you get it sorted out? If so, what fixed it?

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Sigh. Same clicking sounds for my 18 JLUR with 12,000 miles. I get a single click when turning in either direction and also hear a click when backing out of the garage. I had all steering components torqued to spec by myself and the dealer and no clicks for a while....then they came back. I've read this thread and don't really see a common reason for these ghost clicks. Supposed to take it into the dealer for the steering stabilized recall in a couple weeks and maybe that will take care of it again....for a few weeks.
Any updates?

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport
So finally after all this I ran out of patience and decided to just trade in my Jeep, I called my case manager and asked if I closed out my case with Chrysler without the issue being fixed if I could still get reimbursed for the payments that I’ve made over 3 months while it’s been the the shop. (I’d been told multiple times this was going to happen) I was told yes and given no contingencies. After finding a used vehicle I wanted I called again to confirm and was told yes again and that she would verify weather or not I’d get 2 payments or 3. After no response within the time she said she’d call back (literally the case every time I called during this whole thing.) she said they wouldn’t be doing it at all because I wasn’t trading for a fca vehicle. I asked to talk to a supervisor and contacted @JeepCares and when the supervisor called back they agreed to do the 3 payments full stop no qualifiers, no let me check with this person first nothing. That was yesterday. Today I get another call by the supervisor saying that they aren’t actually going to pay me anything. This is the kind of service You get with FCA and I’ll never buy another one.

Sponsored

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Any updates?
No...other than after driving around for the past two days in pouring rain, the clicking has disappeared for now. So now I have no idea where the clicking is coming from and getting lots of water on the underside of the Jeep "fixed" it?

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLR HellaYella!
So I'm taking my 2019 JL in Wednesday for the click sound. I'm an optimist, so I'm going to hope it's just the torquing/tightening of the ball joints. I have about 6K miles on it, purchased Feb 2019.

The clicking has gotten more pronounced over time, but still doesn't sound very terrible. I went looking for something small rubbing against something else as the cause of the issue -- then heard it from the wheel itself (ball joints?) and then read this thread. Mine only clicks once as I return to center from hard-left turn of the tire. It is easy to demonstrate at a complete stop - so the techs will have a clear goal to achieve.

My only concern is - how much extra wear&tear has been caused by this issue, and will my ball joints need replacement much sooner than would otherwise be expected?

If yes how do I handle that with the dealer -- who will probably want to fix the problem but not replace all the ball joints at this time..

I presume I just ask them to document the cause and the resolution, and I keep that.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm taking my 2019 JL in Wednesday for the click sound. I'm an optimist, so I'm going to hope it's just the torquing/tightening of the ball joints. I have about 6K miles on it, purchased Feb 2019.

The clicking has gotten more pronounced over time, but still doesn't sound very terrible. I went looking for something small rubbing against something else as the cause of the issue -- then heard it from the wheel itself (ball joints?) and then read this thread. Mine only clicks once as I return to center from hard-left turn of the tire. It is easy to demonstrate at a complete stop - so the techs will have a clear goal to achieve.

My only concern is - how much extra wear&tear has been caused by this issue, and will my ball joints need replacement much sooner than would otherwise be expected?

If yes how do I handle that with the dealer -- who will probably want to fix the problem but not replace all the ball joints at this time..

I presume I just ask them to document the cause and the resolution, and I keep that.
I wouldn't sweat it. What is clicking is the way the shaft of the ball joint is seated in knuckle housing. The joint itself is not making the noise, the way the joint is seated (or lack there of) is causing the clicking. A simple tightening of the nut will pull the ball joint shaft snugly into position and stop the clicking.
Just make sure to tell the dealer this is where they need to focus their attention, on those ball joint nuts. It will then be documented in the system as well.
Hopefully you don't have one of those arrogant dealers who think they know it all and wind up replacing your front drive shaft or muffler or whatever else because "we thought that's where the noise was coming from".

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLR HellaYella!
Haha or replace the radio!

Thanks for the comforting words. I don’t mind if shit needs “adjusting” just don’t want big problems down the road.

This is my 4th Wrangler over the years - I’ve had excellent results with this every one!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Haha or replace the radio!

Thanks for the comforting words. I don’t mind if shit needs “adjusting” just don’t want big problems down the road.

This is my 4th Wrangler over the years - I’ve had excellent results with this every one!
Thumbs up. I've got a 2004 LJ we just dropped a new engine in... ughhh... that came on the heals of putting D44s with 4.10s and lockers under the Mrs. '18 Sahara... Just Empty Every Pocket.
Sponsored