Sponsored

Centerforce Clutch Updates.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
So just drove back with the CF2 installed. Definitely smoother engagement, no bucking and stuff really nice. It needs to break in for a bit, but brand new it pulls nice from stop no gas needed. Definitely much harder pedal force needed and the uptake from the floor is immediate, will take some getting used to! But the guy said those will loosen up a bit as it breaks in. Feels like you got a stout clutch underneath you now! The tech said the driveline is built like a tank, never seen so many bolts! I said great, but they should have put a real clutch in it too! Again feels great put much different animal than stock so be prepared to upgrade your stick driving skills!
Sponsored

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Everything @Cutterone said above is on point. Thanks for input. Can't wait for the 500mile break-in period ends.

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
These reviews on the CF clutch are making me much more confident in getting the 6spd. Wish we had more conclusive evidence on what exactly the root cause of all the problems is.

How soon would you all replace the clutch on a new JLU? I kind of want to do it right out of the gate, though that would feel super weird/dumb dropping the transmission on a brand new vehicle to throw a new clutch in.

Anyone know the weight on the 6spd transmission? Not sure if I want to do the clutch in my garage on jack stands or beg my friend to let me use his lift.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
These reviews on the CF clutch are making me much more confident in getting the 6spd. Wish we had more conclusive evidence on what exactly the root cause of all the problems is.

How soon would you all replace the clutch on a new JLU? I kind of want to do it right out of the gate, though that would feel super weird/dumb dropping the transmission on a brand new vehicle to throw a new clutch in.

Anyone know the weight on the 6spd transmission? Not sure if I want to do the clutch in my garage on jack stands or beg my friend to let me use his lift.
I'm not known for impressive physical strength, but I did it twice on my own with my Jeep on jack stands. Used combination of floor jack and a sufficiently padded belly to wrestle the transmission into place the first time. 2nd time I left the T-case connected to the transmission which saved a lot of work but I had to use two floor jacks and plenty of huffing and puffing.

3rd and 4th time I did it I had my 2 post lift and a proper transmission jack. No comparison in time or effort, though certain parts are still a booger. If you do it on Jack stands, don't by lazy like me and actually remove your fenders. It will save a lot of time, some bloody knuckles, and you just may be able to skip having to wash your mouth out with soap...

Sponsored

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And be prepared for the new CF2 to have an immediate pickup off the floor, something I'm told will ease after break-in...

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
And be prepared for the new CF2 to have an immediate pickup off the floor, something I'm told will ease after break-in...
Actually, after a week or two you may need to bleed the system again. And then again a few weeks later. It's not terribly difficult to do on your own but you do need to be careful. Remove the slave cylinder evenly, tip it with the piston downward, and by hand compress it carefully and "straigtly" about 10 times to force aerated fluid back to the master cylinder reservoir. Then insert it straight, wiggle to be sure you catch the fork, and then tighten evenly.

If you climb back into your Jeep and the pedal is super hard, DONT force it. It means you missed the fork, and if you you force the pedal you will explode the slave cylinder.

Don't ask how I know or how many times I was reminded...

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well if the pickup doesn't move farther up travel in a few weeks I'll have the shop check it out. I'm hoping that isn't necessary...

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
Actually, after a week or two you may need to bleed the system again. And then again a few weeks later. It's not terribly difficult to do on your own but you do need to be careful. Remove the slave cylinder evenly, tip it with the piston downward, and by hand compress it carefully and "straigtly" about 10 times to force aerated fluid back to the master cylinder reservoir. Then insert it straight, wiggle to be sure you catch the fork, and then tighten evenly.

If you climb back into your Jeep and the pedal is super hard, DONT force it. It means you missed the fork, and if you you force the pedal you will explode the slave cylinder.

Don't ask how I know or how many times I was reminded...
That's great to know they aren't too heavy. The worst transmission I've ever had to belly lift back into a car on jackstands was my 1990 240sx. that transmission is SUPER Long and pretty heavy. I'll start by asking to use my friends lift, between the two of us, it should be quick. Why do you suggest removing the fenders?

As for the bleeding procedure, that doesn't sound too bad. Sounds better than bleeding the 6spd on my wife's vw tdi.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That's great to know they aren't too heavy. The worst transmission I've ever had to belly lift back into a car on jackstands was my 1990 240sx. that transmission is SUPER Long and pretty heavy. I'll start by asking to use my friends lift, between the two of us, it should be quick. Why do you suggest removing the fenders?

As for the bleeding procedure, that doesn't sound too bad. Sounds better than bleeding the 6spd on my wife's vw tdi.
To reach the upper transmission bolts from below, I use like 3' of extensions and then there is a wiring harness bracket draped over the transmission that is quite infuriating and difficult to get in/out of place. If you remove the fenders, you can get to all that from the side of the vehicle, much much easier.

Sponsored

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
To reach the upper transmission bolts from below, I use like 3' of extensions and then there is a wiring harness bracket draped over the transmission that is quite infuriating and difficult to get in/out of place. If you remove the fenders, you can get to all that from the side of the vehicle, much much easier.
Ok awesome, that does sound infinitely easier. Thanks!

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Do you worry about the long term effect of the heavier flywheel ,on the thrust and main bearings ?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Do you worry about the long term effect of the heavier flywheel ,on the thrust and main bearings ?
There's a million things that can go wrong with a vehicle. I have the attitude that I'm just along for the ride. I'm not overly concerned. Besides, the savings of the slow depreciation of the Wrangler compared to other vehicles pretty much pays for an engine swap if ever needed 😄

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
lets hope the trend continues , although up here, the YJ' S and TJ "s seem to be keeping their value more then the newer Jeeps.

Robo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door JL Sport
Has anybody around the Houston area installed the centrforce kit? I’m curious to try out this firm clutch pedal (in exchange for a six pack of course) and to know if there’s a trustworthy local shop.
Sponsored