Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
  • Banned
I've been experiencing an issue with my Dual Friction Centerforce Clutch. When slipping the clutch in 1st gear I will regularly hear a loud moan sound from inside the vehicle. I contacted Centerforce, after reviewing a video of the noise they advised me that my clutch isn't the first one out the in the field that is making this same noise. They are currently investigating the cause of the issue and at the moment they believe it is the friction material causing the issue. When I asked what the warranty looked like they told me parts only, meaning the 1000dollar teardown is coming out of my pocket to replace their faulty clutch. They also told me that they "believe" the noise shouldn't cause any long term issues.

With all the praise I was reading on here about Centerforce I thought it would be a good idea for others who are thinking about purchasing this clutch to WAIT until this noise issue is fixed before spending your hard earned money like I did. I know there are a few Centerforce owners out there who are happy with their purchase and aren't experiencing issues but the fact that the company acknowledges there is an issue that they are working on resolving should be enough to prove this is not some kind of 1 off isolated incident.

I took a 1200 gamble and lost.

See video below for your viewing pleasure, noise starts 22 seconds in.

PS: I love my Centerforce Clutch, the stock clutch can't even compare to it. It just sucks that this new 1200 dollar clutch sounds like complete shit and if I want to get it fixed all that wonderful labor will be coming out of my pocket.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I've been experiencing an issue with my Dual Friction Centerforce Clutch. When slipping the clutch in 1st gear I will regularly hear a loud moan sound from inside the vehicle. I contacted Centerforce, after reviewing a video of the noise they advised me that my clutch isn't the first one out the in the field that is making this same noise. They are currently investigating the cause of the issue and at the moment they believe it is the friction material causing the issue. When I asked what the warranty looked like they told me parts only, meaning the 1000dollar teardown is coming out of my pocket to replace their faulty clutch. They also told me that they "believe" the noise shouldn't cause any long term issues.

With all the praise I was reading on here about Centerforce I thought it would be a good idea for others who are thinking about purchasing this clutch to WAIT until this noise issue is fixed before spending your hard earned money like I did. I know there are a few Centerforce owners out there who are happy with their purchase and aren't experiencing issues but the fact that the company acknowledges there is an issue that they are working on resolving should be enough to prove this is not some kind of 1 off isolated incident.

PS: I love my Centerforce Clutch, the stock clutch can't even compare to it. It just sucks that this new 1200 dollar clutch sounds like complete shit and if I want to get it fixed all that wonderful labor will be coming out of my pocket.
I understand the frustration, but there isn't any aftermarket manufacturers out there that will cover labor for installing or removing their parts. It's a rare event, if it does exist, and it would have to be accompanied by some unusual circumstance.

Years ago I had Edelbrock cover an engine rebuild I did after their cam button failed and allowed my cam to walk and destroyed all sorts of things. This was in 2002 and my engine loss was because of a faulty part.

You might have some recourse if the faulty clutch damaged something based on a known defect, but for something to just make noise... I wouldn't think they would cover any of it except parts. Maybe they'll be cool and compromise on the cost of the clutch.

Here's an example from O'Reilly's Auto Parts, which is likely the case with every parts MFG/Distro out there. I'm sure they have some fine print in their warranty that will be similar.

Wish you the best of luck with it. I used Centerforce products in the mustang and the Camaro. I haven't had any issues.

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 8.23.53 PM.png

Fun photo shoot in Florida... centerforce doing work (Sorry, it's sideways. Stupid amateurs):

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer

Good looking out, for sure. Until they fix the compound, I'd wait. Must not have been very many clutches released with the known issue. Hopefully, it's only a handful or small lot of them.

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Did you have any issues with chatter or rough engagement before this noise developed?

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
  • Banned
I understand the frustration, but there isn't any aftermarket manufacturers out there that will cover labor for installing or removing their parts. It's a rare event, if it does exist, and it would have to be accompanied by some unusual circumstance.
Thanks for sharing the experience!

I'm bummed yes, but my post definitely was not meant to be centered around the cost of labor to me as much as it is supposed to be informational to other users before they drop the dough on a new Centerforce Clutch!

I guess the term "pay to play" works well here, lol.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Thanks for sharing the experience!

I'm bummed yes, but my post definitely was not meant to be centered around the cost of labor to me as much as it is supposed to be informational to other users before they drop the dough on a new Centerforce Clutch!

I guess the term "pay to play" works well here, lol.
It's a great post and definitely needed here as so many people will look to replace their factory clutch eventually. Thank you for spreading the word!

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
  • Banned
Did you have any issues with chatter or rough engagement before this noise developed?
I get chatter at idle and low rpms but I believe it to be normal, no issues with rough engagement.

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
  • Banned
It's a great post and definitely needed here as so many people will look to replace their factory clutch eventually. Thank you for spreading the word!
Badass video dude, these Centerforces definitely put in the work!

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I get chatter at idle and low rpms but I believe it to be normal, no issues with rough engagement.
Same here. Just a little chatter at idle/low rpm. Figured it could be normal-ish but was curious if others had the same experience. No noise yet with my dual friction, but I'll be curious if I eventually start to hear something. How many miles until the noise started?

Like you, I really do like the clutch. I had a lot of issues after install, but all were due to the stock hydraulics and pedal assembly...

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Same here. Just a little chatter at idle/low rpm. Figured it could be normal-ish but was curious if others had the same experience. No noise yet with my dual friction, but I'll be curious if I eventually start to hear something. How many miles until the noise started?
Around 5thousand miles, give or take a thousand. Pretty much just started out of the blue.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
If Centerforce made a faulty product they should be held liable for labor cost in my opinion. Seems like I’ve seen a few of these with this issue pop up. So it sounds like a faulty or poorly designed part.

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If Centerforce made a faulty product they should be held liable for labor cost in my opinion. Seems like I’ve seen a few of these with this issue pop up. So it sounds like a faulty or poorly designed part.
You would think right, but apparently not. . . I really don't look forward to paying a grand to have another put in when a "fix" is released.

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

I had my Centerforce installed back in the spring and had a lot of issues with the first install. The install itself was a challenge for a variety of reasons, but I'll stay on topic with the performance of the clutch.

At first I couldn't get it to shift smoothly into first gear in particular, but reverse and third were issues at time. There would be times I would be at a stop light, in neutral. Light turns green and I couldn't get it into gear. I found a 'trick' that if I rocked it into second then into first it would engage.

I took it to three dealerships (closer than mechanic) and they all had degrees of challenges bleeding the master cylinder. These had a degree of success, for awhile. Then the 'groans' started.

Ultimately Centerforce sent a few parts to test out. I ended up finding the combo that worked - crisp shifts, smooth movement, and sharp 'bite' or engagement of the clutch. Super happy after a few months of trying to get her up and running.

Fast forward a few months and the gremlins are coming back. Engagement has weakened significantly. Difficulty shifting, especially into first. At times after the Jeep is off and I've left - i.e. gone to the store - when I start it back up it won't come out of first - i.e. to reverse out of a parking stall - without effort that shouldn't be required.

Centerforce has worked with me through the process, but it has not been a set it and forget it experience.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
It is interesting Quadratec has none in stock and don't expect parts until March 2021. I wonder if they are working on the issue and will release an update to address the issues some have experienced. I would think they would offer a replacement clutch disc and pressure plate to those that have had issues. Definitely could argue that the parts weren't fit for their intended purpose when an average clutch disc makes it to 50,000 minimum.
Sponsored