Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, all I'm finally getting around to setting up my CB radio in the new rig and have a question about a possible wiring spot for power.

In my JK I just wired the factory red/black wires to a 12 V aux connector (cigarette lighter plugin) but really don't want to do that in the JL because I don't want the wires exposed and I want to retain that 12 V source should I need it for temporary stuff here and there.

The CB instructions call for connecting the wires directly to the battery but I'm not crazy about that idea should I forget and leave the CB on etc. And then there's having to extend the wiring and get through the firewall and all that nonsense. I noticed that behind the glove box there was some wiring and I was wondering if I could possibly wire into an existing wire or spare port...

Jeep Wrangler JL CB hardwire question 50017499331_b04a8b96d7_k

The CB itself will be mounted right there on the passenger side of the column so that would be a great place to wire it up if possible.

On a side note: I'm leaning toward mounting the mic in the spot on the grab handle where this bolt is...

Jeep Wrangler JL CB hardwire question 50017923952_8c592e89dc_c

Anyone done this? The bolt is recessed and the only thing I can think of is to replace that bolt with a longer one and attach a small mounting plate to it. I just screwed right into the plastic on my old JK's dash for it last time but really do NOT want to drill any holes into the JL dash.

The radio is a Uniden Pro520xl with a red and black wire and the rig is a 2020 JLUR 2L turbo if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Michael
Sponsored

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Do you have aux power switches? I can't tell from that pic. If you do, the wires that connect to them are probably farther back, coming out from under the carpet. There are plenty of pics online for which color wire goes with each switch. You can definitely use them for CB power and if I remember right, you have 2 15 amp circuits and 2 40 amp. 15 amps is plenty for a CB. The aux power will shut off automatically so you don't have to worry about draining the battery. If you don't have aux power switches, radio manufacturers usually recommend going straight to the battery because it cuts down on noise vs tapping a wire with other things connected to it.

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
I believe Quadratec has a wiring harness for accessories that plugs into the cigarette lighter harness.

OP
OP
Rogueman_1

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A CB draws little power on receive, unless you don't drive your Jeep for many days it shouldn't be a problem especially if you just leave it on over night.
Yeah I guess. I'm not overly concerned. Maybe I'll just go directly to battery.

Bingo!! I'll think I'll order one. I did get a different longer screw and mount it to the left side of the passenger grab bar however I think it's just a tad too far for my reach to be comfortable. This solves that! Thanks!

Where I currently have it:

Jeep Wrangler JL CB hardwire question 50024868877_f7ed708ad2_k

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rogueman_1

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe Quadratec has a wiring harness for accessories that plugs into the cigarette lighter harness.
I'll check it out thanks. I was just trying to keep a wire from plugging into the cigarette lighter this time around.