CB Antenna Mount, What I Did

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I was going to sit around with the antenna and CB cable waiting for someone else to come up with something for me to copy. But, since it is such a new vehicle, maybe that someone is me. So, here is what I did.
1.jpg

I bought this bracket off of ebay for $12. ProPintle Sales part #271353004388. It is listed for JK/JL but is supposed to mount to the back of your center break light. I wasn't doing that.
2.jpg

With the spare tire still on I marked where I wanted to mount it so that it had clearance. Then I removed the spare and drilled the two holes all the way through so that it would be a solid mount.
3.jpg
4.jpg

Then I put two bolts all the way through with washers on the other side for reinforcement. I couldn't find any lock washers laying around so I just put some Loctite on the bolts.
5.jpg
6.jpg

The tailgate panel comes off very easily. Just pry a flathead screw driver between the plastic and tailgate.
7.jpg

I removed this rubber plug, drilled a hole in the middle so that the wire would go through the middle and then cut the bottom of it from the center down.
8.jpg
9.jpg

I attached the antenna mount and route the cable through the hole.
10.jpg

Replaced the rubber plug around the cable.
11.jpg

Fed the cable through the inside of the door and zip tied to the existing wiring.
12.jpg

Replace the tailgate panel and route the cable on the inside of the cabin to fit your needs/set up.
13.jpg

Plenty of clearance all the way around.
15.jpg

14.jpg

I hope this helps somebody.
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Great job. I hope it doesn't slap the back window when you are bouncing around.

Scott1911

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 Door Unicorn
Looks good!, does the windshield wiper clear it?

OP
OP
My#8andlast

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Looks good!, does the windshield wiper clear it?
**No, it doesn't.** Just went out and tried it with the spring on and spring off and it makes contact at the top of the wiper stroke. So, it's a trade off. The mount is completely clear so you can put the antenna on when your planning an off road trip or leave it on all the time and not use the rear wiper (I never do anyway). Thanks for the catch.

Sponsored

OP
OP
My#8andlast

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
**No, it doesn't.** Just went out and tried it with the spring on and spring off and it makes contact at the top of the wiper stroke. So, it's a trade off. The mount is completely clear so you can put the antenna on when your planning an off road trip or leave it on all the time and not use the rear wiper (I never do anyway). Thanks for the catch.
Or, mount it further outboard.

nota4re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubi
Nice write up OP, and thanks for sharing. Looks like good work. But, you'll need to make a couple of small mods if you want it to work. Your FireRing connector is assembled incorrectly. The FireRing has a metal ring on each side. You'll notice that one side of the FireRing will have a small (white) nylon lip. The ring on this side is connected to the shield (outer) wire of the coax and needs to be grounded. The ring on the opposite side is connected to the center (+) wire of the coax and will carry the signal. If you do the following steps, you'll get the connector to work as it was designed for you.
  1. On the underside of your bracket, you need to sand/remove the paint for ~1/8" all around the 1/2" hole. This is to allow the metal ring to make contact & ground the antenna to the Jeep.
  2. Place the FireRing against your bracket so the nylon lip keeps it centered in the hole and the metal ring on that "lipped" side of the FireRing will come into contact with the bare metal around the hole.
  3. Place the SS bolt up through the FireRing. Notice that the hex head of the bolt will be in contact with the metal (pos) ring on that side of the FireRing.
  4. On the top side, first place the white nylon washer (lip down) over the bolt. This will help to keep the bolt centered in the hole.
  5. Next, place the SS washer followed by the lock washer
  6. Finally, thread the Hex Coupler on and tighten the assembly
In summary, the ground ring gets smashed up against your metal bracket. The hex bolt head is in contact with the other (+) ring and it is centered in the hole so it doesn't short out. When you thread the Coupler on, now it is "hot" and your antenna will thread into it.

Any questions - let me know.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I was going to sit around with the antenna and CB cable waiting for someone else to come up with something for me to copy. But, since it is such a new vehicle, maybe that someone is me. So, here is what I did.......
I hope this helps somebody.
Nice! Would be a much better write up with out that ugly ass orange T ruining all those pictures though. :giggle:

Roll Tide! ;)

OP
OP
My#8andlast

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Nice write up OP, and thanks for sharing. Looks like good work. But, you'll need to make a couple of small mods if you want it to work. Your FireRing connector is assembled incorrectly. The FireRing has a metal ring on each side. You'll notice that one side of the FireRing will have a small (white) nylon lip. The ring on this side is connected to the shield (outer) wire of the coax and needs to be grounded. The ring on the opposite side is connected to the center (+) wire of the coax and will carry the signal. If you do the following steps, you'll get the connector to work as it was designed for you.
  1. On the underside of your bracket, you need to sand/remove the paint for ~1/8" all around the 1/2" hole. This is to allow the metal ring to make contact & ground the antenna to the Jeep.
  2. Place the FireRing against your bracket so the nylon lip keeps it centered in the hole and the metal ring on that "lipped" side of the FireRing will come into contact with the bare metal around the hole.
  3. Place the SS bolt up through the FireRing. Notice that the hex head of the bolt will be in contact with the metal (pos) ring on that side of the FireRing.
  4. On the top side, first place the white nylon washer (lip down) over the bolt. This will help to keep the bolt centered in the hole.
  5. Next, place the SS washer followed by the lock washer
  6. Finally, thread the Hex Coupler on and tighten the assembly
In summary, the ground ring gets smashed up against your metal bracket. The hex bolt head is in contact with the other (+) ring and it is centered in the hole so it doesn't short out. When you thread the Coupler on, now it is "hot" and your antenna will thread into it.

Any questions - let me know.
Thanks for the info, I am definitely not a CB radio expert. I originally bought this set up from Qtec already attached to a mount. All I did was move it over from that mount to this one the exact same way. I just took it out and it works like a champ.

Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks for your help, this is on my list. What length antennae do you recommend?

Sponsored

OP
OP
My#8andlast

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks for your help, this is on my list. What length antennae do you recommend?
20180226_150235.jpg

Mine is only a 3ft on a spring mount and you can see how much clearance above the roof I get. If your not planning on running a spring then maybe a 4ft. I think the 4ft Firesticks are thinner in diameter though.

Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The 3' length looks like it gives you enough height over the roof line. Thanks for your help.

nota4re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubi
Just trying to help. We've probably sold thousands of "FireRing" connectors over the last 11 years. Your hex coupler is right against your grounded mount. The only thing that *may* be saving you is that the paint may be insulating it. You are going to provide your CB with a direct short - which will fry your CB. Ignoring it is your purgative.

T-Dawg

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon Unlimited
Where is the best place to mount the CB inside the jeep?