Sponsored

Car Wash Procedures

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@RussJeep1
I for one don't need to watch a Jeep Informant video to have a clue. You need to read, learn and then go try things for yourself. Again, no way do you need to pull the park override strap at the carwash.

Hint: Start by learning how to set up a JL for flat towing and then build on that info..

Enough said by me...
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
@RussJeep1
I for one don't need to watch a Jeep Informant video to have a clue. You need to read, learn and then go try things for yourself. Again, no way do you need to pull the park override strap at the carwash.

Hint: Start by learning how to set up a JL for flat towing and then build on that info..

Enough said by me...
@Rhinebeck01: Mr @Rhinebeck01 You won't spend 5 seconds watching a segment of a video, queued to the right place on the above link to rule it in or out as factual in the interest of everyone's understanding?

I don't understand.

I'm well versed in shifting the rig into neutral via the shifting mechanism to the left of the transmission lever. I'm not saying such actions would be wrong at a car wash. I'm suggesting that Mr. Halon believes other mechanisms exist to avoid said dragging of the vehicle.

"Again, no way do you need to pull the park override strap at the carwash."

Ok, but you've implied that such action is wrong, not simply that other mechanisms exist or might be better/worse to get the rig into neutral. It's a pain to shift that lever in my experience, which yes, I have tried.

Please don't disparage people's intelligence based upon what you think they don't know about the JL's operation. I'm not the last word; I'm not ignorant; I'm not flawless.

And the thing of it is that I'm not basing it on my knowledge but that of an FCA mechanic for many years, certified in many areas. Then again he could be wrong. People dispute his accuracy on the PDS wires to the ESS battery (another video).

Not wanting to take the time to say he's wrong or I was wrong speaks volumes. Please reconsider.

"I for one don't need to watch a Jeep Informant video to have a clue."

Are you saying I don't have a clue? A you saying your proposed mechanism, which I glean is with the transfer case (your not forced to post, just too arrogant to say) is the only way?

Last edited:

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Fair enough Jim, but say your cruising on the highway and notice that "the villain" (scar down his face, eye patch) has comandeered a car transport truck, and is driving dangerously with not only multiple brand new JLs at risk, but the beautiful heroin in one of them screaming for your help.

Are you going to put the rig in cruise control, and hop out the window and on to the roof to make a leap over to the car carrier, defeat the villain, save the girl and JLs and drive into the sunset in one of them with the girl?

I think not, because your AutoPark is going to kick in and you will go flying.

So if for nothing other than this common scenario I describe (your run of the mill "hop the villainous car carrier, save the girl") you're going to need to know about this lever...

dammit!!!;)

Would Indiana Jones not know about this lever to save Marianne? I think not!
Actually auto park doesn’t work if you are moving over a certain mph. Once the vehicle slows down below that threshold, it kicks in.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Actually auto park doesn’t work if you are moving over a certain mph. Once the vehicle slows down below that threshold, it kicks in.

Fair enough. In additional to the practical applications to what you've cited, in my silly example, the hero saves the day whether the lever is pulled or not.

...unless the scenario is in Florida, where the 3 parties in my fictional story exceed 88 years of age, and "high speed chase" (along with the perpetual left hand turn signal on) is a relative term that involves speeds below the threshold you cite......and.....;)

Of course in the car wash scenario, which in fairness you did NOT allude to, the vehicle is motionless until the escalator like device that pulls a vehicle through comes up from below the car wash floor and grabs a front tire, and auto park is set. In that case, the ability for the wheels to spin nonetheless I would imagine is a product of @Rhinebeck01 's I believe reference to transfer case placement of the rig in neutral and/or pulling of the aforementioned lever.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Fair enough. In additional to the practical applications to what you've cited, in my silly example, the hero saves the day whether the lever is pulled or not.

...unless the scenario is in Florida, where the 3 parties in my fictional story exceed 88 years of age, and "high speed chase" (along with the perpetual left hand turn signal on) is a relative term that involves speeds below the threshold you cite......and.....;)

Of course in the car wash scenario, which in fairness you did NOT allude to, the vehicle is motionless until the escalator like device that pulls a vehicle through comes up from below the car wash floor and grabs a front tire, and auto park is set. In that case, the ability for the wheels to spin nonetheless I would imagine is a product of @Rhinebeck01 's I believe reference to transfer case placement of the rig in neutral and/or pulling of the aforementioned lever.
No, I was only mentioning it’s use in your evil truck scenario. I’d also add, that if it were me, I’d go through the folding windshield and do my heroic deeds from the hood. You could get closer to said truck that way, instead of needing clearance to open the door ;)

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I sit in the Jeep or they have somebody sit in the Jeep and there's no problem

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
No, I was only mentioning it’s use in your evil truck scenario. I’d also add, that if it were me, I’d go through the folding windshield and do my heroic deeds from the hood. You could get closer to said truck that way, instead of needing clearance to open the door ;)
Point well taken. Kicking out the windshield, that of course you unbolted at "high speed"--and of course were capable of doing because it's so much easier on the JL now than the JK, does, I must admit, add to dramatic effect.

Wasn't Indie thrown through the windshield in the original movie of the truck carrying the arc of the covenant, only to climb back up and do same, with dire consequences, to the original "thrower." ;)

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I sit in the Jeep or they have somebody sit in the Jeep and there's no problem
Very fair. Some places I know don't let the driver/occupants do that. Liability reasons are cited for what personally, I think, is them forcing you to pass their accessory shop, where they sell car air fresheners shaped as curvaceous ladies for "movie theater candy prices.";)

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Anton Yelchin is one of the reasons this feature was added. Most car washes know how to work with this. It’s been around for a couple of years.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Jeeps and autowashers just seems so wrong to me. Get hands on people, it has a small amount of body surface area and the body is flat, so easy. Oh, and... it’s a Jeep, it was meant for you to touch it, a lot. Might take 30 minutes to wash it yourself. Not going to mod it either?

Sponsored

OP
OP
FuriousEwok

FuriousEwok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU, Liberty KK, Cherokee XJ
@FuriousEwok
Not sure where you are getting this notion... but no way do you need to pull the manual park override when you want to go through an automated car wash.

Anyway, do your thread reading and get an understanding of what you actually need to do in regard to the car wash and your JL. @RussJeep1 needs to read and learn also!
I read through the threads and watched the video, so what I listed in red was based off that. Cant remember what linked video or thread I read, it was mentioned that the 'leave the seat belt buckled' trick was not a reliable solution, and once the autopark kicked in half way through the car wash (using that trick) and they had to stop the wash and go in and retrieve it. I need to go back through the links, but the one video I watched indicating what I had written in red above. But from what your saying, you only need to buckle the seat belt. Have you had success with that?

1) Disengage the hand brake
2) Place transmission in neutral
3) Transfer case would remain in 2H
4) Ensure seat belt is buckled
5) Hand keys to attendant
6) count your lucky stars all goes well

devron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I read through the threads and watched the video, so what I listed in red was based off that. Cant remember what linked video or thread I read, it was mentioned that the 'leave the seat belt buckled' trick was not a reliable solution, and once the autopark kicked in half way through the car wash (using that trick) and they had to stop the wash and go in and retrieve it. I need to go back through the links, but the one video I watched indicating what I had written in red above. But from what your saying, you only need to buckle the seat belt. Have you had success with that?

I have had my JL since June and have been through the car wash numerous times. The attendants know to buckle the seat belt and I have not had any issues "yet".

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
I have had my JL since June and have been through the car wash numerous times. The attendants know to buckle the seat belt and I have not had any issues "yet".
what he said.

My car wash guys buckle the driver's seat belt before they get in the vehicle - it has worked every single time.

Disclamer: I am not an expert like the guy above that doesn't have time to watch videos because he knows it all - I, myself, have watched almost all Jeep Informant JL videos, among others, and Brandon is very knowledgeable (not to mention that he actually works for Jeep, whaaaat?). I am just a random Joe so what do I know? :giggle:

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon

you forgot to shut the door :giggle:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
This is a ridiculous thread. Just put the transmission in park and the transfer case in neutral.
Sponsored