Sponsored

Car Wash Procedures

FuriousEwok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU, Liberty KK, Cherokee XJ
I have seen conflicting procedures for how to send your Jeep through the automated car wash, so I was wanting to see if this has been actually figured out yet. I believe the issue is with both the ESS and your transmission, and if you don't set things correctly beforehand, you could do damage.

1) What are the correct procedures for going through an auto car wash where the Jeep is set in neutral and guided on the rails?

2) Any recommendations on how to handle this when you have to turn your keys over to the guy working at the car wash and they actually drive it up and send it through the rails on their own (and trusting they do things correctly)...

Thanks!
Sponsored

SandBucket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR; 2017 Subaru Outback; 1999 TJ Sport (traded-in)
Wondering the same...thanks for posting this

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
This is one good reason among others to get a Taser JL or Tazer Lite, I simply hate AutoPark, not that I roll with the door open very often but the first time you crack the door open while rolling and it slams into Park it gets your attention

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
@FuriousEwok
@SandBucket

Actually it is not Electronic Stop Start (ESS) that is the issue. It is "Auto Park" .

Click on this link and up will pop a list of other links, all covering car washes, etc.. Read at each link..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/search/11278750/?q=auto+park,+car+wash,&o=date&c[user][0]=13877

Also: The Tazer JL and Tazer JL Lite programmer's both can disable auto park.

To @Rhinebeck01 's point, ESS won't engage when the rig is in Park. And Park is a state you can get into by of course, putting your automatic JL in it with the gear shifter, or being in gear and opening the door/steeping out as an FCA product feature safety mechanism.

Short of reprogamming mentioned, you're going to want to know about that little hidden lever that @Rhinebeck01 's link covers, or you will face not so much an automatic car wash, but an automatic car drag as you cannot leave (read: physically open the door and exit, NOT "hold in a particular state") a cranked rig in any gear but park, whether you put it there or the JL's computer does.

But you can be in "any version of" park and let the wheels turn freely via knowledge in these aforementioned links.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Sure glad I don't have that problem--

I never use the auto wash and rarely use the "MAGIC WAND'--(TIRES/WHEES/WHEELWELLS)I don't submit my RUBY to any water pressures greater than a garden hose/w specific control

Remember until it snows here, I only have NEVADA DESERT DUST-

W.E.

JIMBO

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
A sponge and a hose is time tested and proven. :)

Also, the waterless washes available on autogeek and other enthusiast detailing sites work incredibly well. I was a bit skeptical when I first tried it, but man... the stuff just works. I’ve been addicted to the stuff for probably four years.

Unless your car is filthy you’ll get a better result with it than all but the best, most modern (i.e. expensive) auto car washes.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Sure glad I don't have that problem--

I never use the auto wash and rarely use the "MAGIC WAND'--(TIRES/WHEES/WHEELWELLS)I don't submit my RUBY to any water pressures greater than a garden hose/w specific control

Remember until it snows here, I only have NEVADA DESERT DUST-

W.E.

JIMBO
Fair enough Jim, but say your cruising on the highway and notice that "the villain" (scar down his face, eye patch) has comandeered a car transport truck, and is driving dangerously with not only multiple brand new JLs at risk, but the beautiful heroin in one of them screaming for your help.

Are you going to put the rig in cruise control, and hop out the window and on to the roof to make a leap over to the car carrier, defeat the villain, save the girl and JLs and drive into the sunset in one of them with the girl?

I think not, because your AutoPark is going to kick in and you will go flying.

So if for nothing other than this common scenario I describe (your run of the mill "hop the villainous car carrier, save the girl") you're going to need to know about this lever...

dammit!!!;)

Would Indiana Jones not know about this lever to save Marianne? I think not!

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
NOPE--I'd just call--RANGER WALKER/TRIVETTE AND they'd SAVE THE DAY and Trivette would buy a 2dr JL Ruby/w the soft top--remember how he loved convertibles --

Plain as the nose on your face-

W.E.

JIMBO

OP
OP
FuriousEwok

FuriousEwok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU, Liberty KK, Cherokee XJ
@RussJeep1 thanks for the info.
So reading through things, it sounds like the inferred method of simply keeping the seat belt buckled will not always work 100% of the time. Therefore, you need to use the hidden manual park override release lever.
Can you confirm Im understanding correctly that the correct steps are:
1) Engage the hand brake fully
2) Place transmission in Park
3) Transfer case would remain in 2H
4) Pull manual Park Override level
- wash car, tow car, rescue damsel in distress, etc. ... then once done
5) Push manual Park Override level back

I'm starting to think it would be easier to just never wash my Jeep. :)

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
@RussJeep1 thanks for the info.
So reading through things, it sounds like the inferred method of simply keeping the seat belt buckled will not always work 100% of the time. Therefore, you need to use the hidden manual park override release lever.
Can you confirm Im understanding correctly that the correct steps are:
1) Engage the hand brake fully
2) Place transmission in Park
3) Transfer case would remain in 2H
4) Pull manual Park Override level
- wash car, tow car, rescue damsel in distress, etc. ... then once done
5) Push manual Park Override level back

I'm starting to think it would be easier to just never wash my Jeep. :)

Brandon Halon's forgotten more about the JL than I know:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@FuriousEwok
Not sure where you are getting this notion... but no way do you need to pull the manual park override when you want to go through an automated car wash.

I'm not sure if @RussJeep1 confused this car wash question or what when he brought up the override strap. The override strap did not need to be mentioned... it has confused you.

Anyway, do your thread reading and get an understanding of what you actually need to do in regard to the car wash and your JL. @RussJeep1 needs to read and learn also!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
@FuriousEwok
Not sure where you are getting this notion... but no way do you need to pull the manual park override when you want to go through an automated car wash.

I'm not sure if @RussJeep1 confused this car wash question or what when he brought up the override strap. The override strap did not need to be mentioned... it has confused you.

Anyway, do your thread reading and get an understanding of what you actually need to do in regard to the car wash and your JL. @RussJeep1 needs to read and learn also!

@Rhinebeck01 is correct. And he is so because I failed to mention an important particular.

My presumption was that before the car goes through the wash I described, neither you, nor a car wash attendant is inside the rig. Conceptualize if you will that you are walking through the section of the wash that's dry, watching your rig get pulled, but hopefully not dragged through.

If you're in the rig, by all means there is nothing to worry about and @Rhinebeck01 is absolutely correct!

This video was on my mind, queued to the car wash topic. I definitely should have been clearer. Sorry, my bad.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RussJeep1
You need to go and read as you don't have it right. Go read at those threads.
You do not need to be in the JL as you think. Again, go read as it is clearly explained there, in regards to what to do in different scenarios. It is pretty simple once you have a clue.

No reason at all to use that strap!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
@RussJeep1
You need to go and read as you don't have it right. Go read at those threads.
You do not need to be in the JL as you think. Again, go read as it is clearly explained there, in regards to what to do in different scenarios.
@Rhinebeck01. Respectfully asked, did Mr. Halon in his Jeep Informant Youtube Channel get it wrong? I would ask you to click on my link immediately above, queued to the area in question.

I'm fine reading the links (again from when originally posted).

But do you think my belief of the rig going into an automatic car wash in dragged mode, when traveling through it with no occupants and cranked (i.e. AutoPark engaged) to be wrong?

That's not a challenge but a humble inquiry.
Sponsored