Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

My Sahara Altitude shipped with the body color hard top, and TBH I hated it, for two reasons:

1) IMO the bright colors (mine's Hydro) look better with the black to break up the loudness

2) The texture of the black is better on the trail than the paint+clear coat of the body color. Shows pinstriping less, etc.

Also, while 35s look awesome, 33s are more than capable on 98% of the trails that people take their Jeeps on.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
That would be pretty neat, but I can't imagine that being available anytime soon and the cost would be prohibitive for me. If the 392 costs an additional $30,000, whatever they put this in would be out of my range as well.
IF it happens at all. I would not hold my breath even if it is slated to be installed in a Wrangler given FCAs track record.

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
I bough
I know that everyone has different wants/needs but am just curious to see why people chose between a couple of different options. I will use mine as a daily driver but it will go offroad once or twice a month and will go to Moab or Denver once or twice a year. Not doing anything too crazy but definitely more than just fire roads.

I am settled on a JLU Rubicon and am going to keep it stock for now since it is a daily driver and I think 33s and no lift should be good for most of what I am doing when I take it on the trails. I am having a hard time deciding between manual and automatic I don't mind automatic as a daily driver (I drove an automatic Audi every day for about 5 years and had no complaints) but have only used an automatic when offroading. I imagine there will be a learning curve for this but don't plan to take it up hell's gate so I think a manual if probably fine. Most people complain about the manual as an annoyance for a daily driver but that part doesn't really bother me. $4,000 just for an auto transmission is a lot of money and I can't make up my mind.

The other option I am wavering on is the hard top vs. soft top. I am leaning towards a hard top since I don't have a garage and security is more of an issue where I park, but if I get a hard top and then never take it off because it is a PITA, I am going to constantly be reminding myself of the last jeep I had where the top would come down in 2 minutes every time I saw a ray of sun.

Just looking for a few opinions to consider. Thanks.
I bought a Rubi (albeit 2-door) and ran 33's for 1.5 years, zero issues going offroad. Extremely adept at handling offroad on those with no lift. The manual would be fun. Just being honest. Especially if you were to get the 6-cylinder. I have the 2.0. The transmission for the 2.0 is legendary. You can read up on it on this forum. Paired with the auto, it's great. Mine came with the hardtop. Since we are entering into Fall, I'd def recommend the hardtop first. Get a soft top anytime you want later this next year. By then, you'll shake out what you intend to do with the Jeep too...like roof rack, or lighting, or lift (it's inevitable...I wanted a daily driver and now I'm on 35's with a 2" lift....) etc.

If you get a soft top, get the premium. Treat it before putting it on the vehicle. Get some good plastic window cleaner. Also clean your leather seats and treat them, the dash, etc. Don't wait 1-year to start treating/caring for your leather, soft-top, etc.

Excited for you. If I was you, I'd get the Rubi in 2.0 with hardtop right now. But I'm biased. I love the 2.0, have modded it a bit, and it's insanely fast and has big torque. Goes right up steep dirt in 4-low with zero regerts.

Cheers--

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Seconded. People in Texas like to think "Eh, it doesn't get cold here, I don't need a seat heater" but if you're a road tripper, having heated seats can be a god send after 5+ hours in the driver's seat, to give your back a little relief.
Not to derail the thread but can heated seats make just such a 5+ hour driver sleepy, or is it not that kind of heat: more penetrating than ambient (no pun on Ambien TM)?

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Not to derail the thread but can heated seats make just such a 5+ hour driver sleepy, or is it not that kind of heat: more penetrating than ambient (no pun on Ambien TM)?
I'm sure it depends on the person, but I find it really nice and more penetrating vs "warm blanket".

Protip from a lifelong road tripper: it is physically impossible to fall asleep while eating sunflower seeds (the ones you have to shell in your mouth). Your tongue will feel like you ate razorblades after, but you'll get there alive.

daboink

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Wrangler JL 3.6
Occupation
Design/Builder
I am in Tennessee and just traded a 2019, 2 Dr Rubicon with a 6 speed on a 2023 392. I loved my manual, but finally decided on more power since most of my driving was on the highway. I was 49/51... I hung the hard top in the garage and never had it back on until I traded. You do have to be smart about security. I got the flash on the manual recall, but never had an issue. The gears in the Rubi made the Jeep plenty peppy. I just decided to go "main-stream" (4 Doors and Automatic, crazy engine).

My buddy always said that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow... I guess I didn't listen to him in the end.

In this part of the country, it is just fun to have the top off starting in September and getting through March; that's why I went soft top. I also only do mild trails now-a-days. No rock crawling for me anymore.

MyfirstJeepwasaCJ5

First Name
Josue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2022
I know that everyone has different wants/needs but am just curious to see why people chose between a couple of different options. I will use mine as a daily driver but it will go offroad once or twice a month and will go to Moab or Denver once or twice a year. Not doing anything too crazy but definitely more than just fire roads.

I am settled on a JLU Rubicon and am going to keep it stock for now since it is a daily driver and I think 33s and no lift should be good for most of what I am doing when I take it on the trails. I am having a hard time deciding between manual and automatic I don't mind automatic as a daily driver (I drove an automatic Audi every day for about 5 years and had no complaints) but have only used an automatic when offroading. I imagine there will be a learning curve for this but don't plan to take it up hell's gate so I think a manual if probably fine. Most people complain about the manual as an annoyance for a daily driver but that part doesn't really bother me. $4,000 just for an auto transmission is a lot of money and I can't make up my mind.

The other option I am wavering on is the hard top vs. soft top. I am leaning towards a hard top since I don't have a garage and security is more of an issue where I park, but if I get a hard top and then never take it off because it is a PITA, I am going to constantly be reminding myself of the last jeep I had where the top would come down in 2 minutes every time I saw a ray of sun.

I would go with the manual and the hard top. The only thing you lose with the manual is the ability to start it with uConnect or with your keys, but you would save some money and it is fun !

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Go hard top for the plumbing and security, and if you decide you donā€™t need it, put it on a cart and in a storage unit like I did!

I initially planned to get the Bestop Sunrider, but the cost was so close to the two door soft top, I just got a soft top and went all in.

If youā€™re going automatic, the 2.0L absolutely rips. It is a blast! I just threw 35ā€™s on my Rubicon, too, and you notice the difference, but not enough to warrant a regear from 4.10ā€™s.

In all honesty, Iā€™ve always wanted a manual two-door Rubicon, but couldnā€™t justify the manual with the brutal Dallas traffic on my 40 mile round trip commute. Of course, Iā€™m back to fully remote now that Iā€™ve had the Jeep for 8 months and wish I went with the manual, but Iā€™m not upset I have this automatic. It is a massive upgrade from the 42RLE I had in my JKU.

My advice on transmission choice is if youā€™re passionate about having a manual, get it. If you donā€™t mind either way, the 2.0L and auto is the best driving Jeep I have been in, and the 3.6L auto is also fantastic.

Lots of tough choices, but go with your gut! The only thing I really second guessed was my transmission choice and itā€™s the only thing I contemplate changing if I ever order another JLā€¦. Maybe when this one is paid off in a couple years.

mlz

First Name
micki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking to buy wrangler

Sponsored

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
I will speak only for my personal experience and from observing that of my buddy with a manual Rubicon (mine's a Sahara). For off-roading, an automatic just makes things more fun IMHO. My buddy has a manual, and I know the purists have mastered every aspect of that in the off-road environment, but it is a constant effort to keep RPMs up so as to not stall in low gear for those who don't do it all the time. With an auto, I just think you can enjoy the experience a bit more when crawling. Total respect to those with manuals who have it down, but for a combo of daily driving and off-raod, for me auto would be the easy answer.

Hard top is a no-brainer. Definitely need to go that route. With a headliner it is quieter, warmer/cooler, and for the JL is really not all that heavy or hard to remove. You have the Freedom Panels you can remove as a partial solution, and you can always go soft top later. I love it and highly recommend it.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Auto, much bigger audience for resale.

Dual Top Group. Best of both worlds. I have both, if I were forced to choose only one, softtop hands down. If someone wants in, a window is not going to stop em.

That Sunrider thing is *almost* as much of a screwjob as that $4K auto top. A thousand frikken bucks!!!!

Good luck with whatever you choose. :)

Koolkarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko

Welcome to the forum. So I'd definitely get the Auto for me the reason is resale value? I own a couple used car lots and apples to apples the automatic will sell faster and for more money. Plus i prefer the auto off road. Hard top for me is also a must you can pop the freedom tops off in a coue minutes and away you go....just my 2 cents hope it helps

jeeperscreepers25

First Name
Molly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot

I was recently looking to replace my older Jeep as well. I looked around at a few places but the most enticing offer came from Mark Dodge in Lake Charles, LA. They were great to work with and were about 7,000 below MSRP for a 2023 4 Door Jeep Rubicon. I have been looking at automatic but that is just a personal preference. The quote I got included a hard top as well! I would definitely recommend checking them out!

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
Okayā€¦ hereā€™s my opinion, which of course is worthless, but take it for what it is:
  • If you want a Sport, get a special package like the Freedom package if you can - great value there! I have one and love it!
  • If you want a Willys, get the ā€œfull Willysā€ and not just a Willys sport - again, the difference in options is worth it.
  • If you plan to do a lot of serious off-roading or rock crawling, spring for the rubicon. It is built for it. If not, any of the other Jeep trims are more than capable for anything you throw at it and in any conditions. You can always upgrade, of course, but yeahā€¦
  • If you can afford a 392 and donā€™t care about the cost of fuelā€¦ well damn you are richer than I am and will have a lot of fun with it! Test drove one and it is justā€¦ wow, what a fun ride!
  • If you only drive short trips, like high torque, and want to conserve fuel, maybe try a 4xe. Iā€™ve never driven one, but would love to test drive one at some point!
  • If you have a lot of kids, pets, or luggage, or are absolutely in love with the XR packageā€¦get a four door. If itā€™s just you and the wife/dog, and donā€™t care about the XR packageā€¦get a two door. The back seat is easily removable, and it is more fun to drive with a tight turning radius!
  • If you insist on rowing your own gears, get a manual transmission. If you want an easier, more dependable ride, get the automatic transmission. The auto trans option is the better of two for multiple reasons.
  • If you can get one with a hard top factory installed, do it. Soft top is cool and has its benefits, sure. But much easier to take hard top off and put soft on vs. the other way around. Wiring is a pain.
  • If you want better headlights, the LED stock headlights are much better than the stock halogens. Taillights, the difference is more form than function in my honest opinion. I have front LED and halogen tails - I havenā€™t felt the need to upgrade the taillights.
  • If you are choosing between the 2.0 and the 3.6 engines, the 2.0 is peppier and more fun. Iā€™ve driven both and really like the 2.0ā€™s performance better. The 2.0 does have a little turbo ā€œhissā€ when you step on it, but I didnā€™t get my Jeep to impress others with the sound of my engine. If you are about that, the 392 is the choice.
  • If you are stuck on a color choice: White is the cheapest. Black is good if you are Batman. Sting Grey is the coolest. šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘
This should be pinned to the order/delivery thread for first time Jeepers or those that are on the fence. Fantastic summary, one with almost every essential detail.

(It is also nice to see there's others who use the heck out of bullet points as much as i do) lol!
Sponsored