Sponsored

Can't Decide, UGH! Help Please

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
Can say from the last 3 days that hard top off was worth the hassle for the entire year. Words can’t describe it.
Sponsored

Birchrun

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Living in Michigan I am currently running a soft top only. Having the ability to park in a garage is key as it keeps it clear most days, even with snow. I’m likely going to look at a hardtop in the fall but I will run topless a lot in the summer. I did with my older jeeps and the garage storage is key.

zingat

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Jeepster !
Vehicle Showcase
@Cuse2003 I was struggling just as you ... and eventually decided to go with the Sky One-Touch Power Top. Of-course, others will have their own perspectives and requirements unique to their personal situation.

1. Open Air driving: The biggest hurdle is accepting that you will *mostly* (until some genius figures it out) never drive the Jeep completely 'naked'. This is the biggest compromise in terms of the classic Jeep look. Consequently you will also need to accept the alternate 'Safari' look with the doors and rear panels removed with a Sky One-touch power top. It took me sometime, but eventually the Safari look grew on me.

2. Styling - How many sexy convertible SUVs with power tops are there in the market really? Not many. For just a few thousand dollars more you can have an awesome convertible SUV ... this is something that most forget during the buying decision - 2 vehicles for the price of one a classic SUV and a convertible. Jeep has done a fantastic job of seamlessly integrating an excellent power top and the price value is just too good (I can explain).

3. Ease of use: 30 seconds to open/close the powertop and 1 min to remove the rear side panels. The functionality and ease of use is a killer feature in my opinion. You can get the open air feel anytime of the year at the touch of a button and close the top back when not needed. Enough said.

4. Price - A loaded Rubi with options would be 50K+ ... why not another 3K for the ease and convenience of the power top? Rolled into the monthly payment it is a few dollars more per payment. The alternate options (dual top or hard tops with a bestop) are as pricey as the power top making the pricing a non-factor in the decision making process. The spreadsheet below explains my twisted logic on pricing.

I hope this helps.

Cuse2003

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Price considerations ->

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 9.58.38 PM.png
Thank you for your thoughts. I wasn't really concerned about the price since the only other option is dual tops for me. You make compelling arguments. I am going to check out the power top this weekend. I just wish it went back all the way and it would be a no brainer!

Sponsored

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with @Carlton. We went Premium Soft Top only here in CT after my wife realized how easy it is to operate and how (relatively) quiet it is on the highway going 70 mph. We were all in on the power top until we tested the PST. Plus, that gave us $3000+ for modifications. Either way, you are going to love your choice.
Same here, premium soft top only and I have no regrets. I guess like one response said, are you going to take the top down? I do every chance I get.

zingat

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeepster !
Vehicle Showcase
Thats the best way to do it. I test drove a Power top JL 3 times around before I decided to go for it. Ease of use and on-demand availability was just too much benefit to ignore. Plus I also liked the mostly all-black interior look and feel that it provides.

OP
OP

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue Sky One-Touch
Thanks again to all for the feedback.
I originally wanted dual top (body color) but I did the math like @zingat and ultimately went with the Sky One-Touch.
For me it seemed like the right choice and easier than dealing with all the others.

zingat

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeepster !
Vehicle Showcase
If the JL is going to be your daily driver, family hauler, and the weather is unpredictable ... the Powertop makes so much more sense. The only real compromise is the ‘naked’ look ... which is a novelty at best ... imho. Here in the northeast ... I might have seen about 5 Jeeps naked in the last 15 years ... so I didn’t really care about losing the naked look.

OP
OP

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the JL is going to be your daily driver, family hauler, and the weather is unpredictable ... the Powertop makes so much more sense. The only real compromise is the ‘naked’ look ... which is a novelty at best ... imho. Here in the northeast ... I might have seen about 5 Jeeps naked in the last 15 years ... so I didn’t really care about losing the naked look.
Exactly....I don't ever see myself removing the doors or going completely topless ever. Sky One-Touch is the best of both worlds in my opinion.
Now I just have to wait

Sponsored

Cuse2003

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Exactly....I don't ever see myself removing the doors or going completely topless ever. Sky One-Touch is the best of both worlds in my opinion.
Now I just have to wait
Great feedback. I think you guys convinced me. I just want to test the road noise at highway speeds this weekend. Hopefully I will order on Monday.

OP
OP

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great feedback. I think you guys convinced me. I just want to test the road noise at highway speeds this weekend. Hopefully I will order on Monday.
Road/Wind noise on the highway was better than the soft top and about the same as the hard top. At least in my test drives

Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL
We offer a few soft tops at this time. We have the Mopar JL soft top and the Bestop Trektop NX.

The Mopar soft top folds back like the traditional soft top photos below are for the 4 door:

JDA_82215146_Twill_Soft_Top_JL4D_4_0.jpg

JDA_82215146_Twill_Soft_Top_JL4D_1_0.jpg

JDA_82215146_Twill_Soft_Top_JL4D_3_0.jpg

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/sailcloth-full-soft-top-kit-black-jeep-wrangler-jl

This is offer in the sail cloth and the Twill fabric.

The Bestop Trektop NX, also comes in the Twill and the sailcloth materials:

Bestop-All-New-Trektop-NX-JLU-Installed-Closed-rear-View_0.jpg

Bestop-All-New-Trektop-NX-JLU-Installed-Open-Front-View_0.jpg

This can be opened up and turned into a bikini style top:

Bestop-All-New-Trektop-NX-JLU-Installed-Open-Rear-View_1.jpg

https://www.quadratec.com/p/bestop/all-new-trektop-nx-soft-top-20-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jl

We also have those tops for the two door as well here: https://www.quadratec.com/p/bestop/all-new-trektop-nx-soft-top-20-jeep-wrangler-jl-2-door

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/twill-soft-top-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl-2-door

We do offer a forum discount for forum members.

For a discounted quote you can go about it 3 ways:

1) PM me with your first & last name, address, zip and the part numbers you would like to order. I'll reply back with a discounted quote if applicable. This takes 1-2 business days (or less) on average depending on PM volume.

2) E-mail my sales rep Rob at: [email protected] Tell him you're a Forum user and would like a discounted quote. He'll get that going for you. He typically responds within hours if it's Mon-Fri 8am-5pm Eastern.

3) Call my sales line at 1-800-745-2348. Tell them you're a Forum user and would like to place an order with your Forum discount. Their hours are Mon-Thurs 8am-Midnight, Friday 8am-9pm, Saturday 9am-5pm.

Whichever you prefer works for us.

Have a great day,
Hailey

zingat

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeepster !
Vehicle Showcase
Other intangible benefits of the Sky One-Touch Power Top:

1. All black interior (mostly) - for those who dislike the white backside of the freedom panels

2. Factory integrated clean look for roofing. Other part alternatives don’t look as good; part hard top - part soft top.

3. Second row passengers get a full Sky view by default

4. No installing garage hoists. Saves garage space.

5. No storage required ever for storing hard / soft tops during switches.

6. Removable back side window panels.

7. Painted body matching top assembly and back window.

8. Zero installation of tops for lifetime.

9. Open / close on the go ... while in motion (under 60mph). No need to make a stop for this purpose.

10. Smiles on the wifey/girlfriends face ... as it doesn’t mess her hair over completely

11. Impress your friends ... brag that you have a convertible SUV.

12. Enjoy some sun/ open air on cold days and in between rain showers.

13. Pinch free operation of top. Better safety.

14. Never have to worry about inclement weather or temperamental kids, anytime of the year.

... Waiting to get razzed by the trolls or soft top vendors for putting this list :-P

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
Note that as much as I love @Quadratec, they do not give forum discounts on the Mopar soft top. I tried.
Sponsored