Calling all 6 Speed Owners

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
We all know that the pressure plate is poorly designed and has caused some on this forum significant trouble. So far I haven’t seen any noticeable issues with mine, but it’s always in the back of my mind that it could cause trouble.

Jeep tried the software fix, but really it’s a bandaid to hide a design flaw in the pressure plate. I’m wondering how many of you are seriously thinking about swapping out the clutch / pressure plate completely to potentially permanently fix this flaw.

I noticed that Quadratec is offering the centerforce II clutch for pre-order. I’m assuming that these parts are much more higher quality that with what comes with the JL. With that being said, would this potentially fix the issue once and for all?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/centerforce/ii-clutch-kit-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt-KCFT157077

Thanks for the feedback in advance!
Sponsored

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
If you search on this forum you'll find people who reported issues with the centerforce clutch too. The stock clutch is far from perfect, but I figure I'll just wait until it dies then swap it out at that time (if it's not covered under warranty). Besides, there are many other Jeep mods that are competing for my budget.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
If you search on this forum you'll find people who reported issues with the centerforce clutch too. The stock clutch is far from perfect, but I figure I'll just wait until it dies then swap it out at that time (if it's not covered under warranty). Besides, there are many other Jeep mods that are competing for my budget.
One thing I miss the most is the "bite" of a traditional clutch. With my Jeep, I had to learn how to drive it.

I agree with you, once the clutch burns out I'll decide on replacement options. I wouldn't proactively replace a perfectly functional clutch. If I get 100K out of it and it goes I bet there will be a ton of options out in the market.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
We all know that the pressure plate is poorly designed and has caused some on this forum significant trouble. So far I haven’t seen any noticeable issues with mine, but it’s always in the back of my mind that it could cause trouble.

Jeep tried the software fix, but really it’s a bandaid to hide a design flaw in the pressure plate. I’m wondering how many of you are seriously thinking about swapping out the clutch / pressure plate completely to potentially permanently fix this flaw.

I noticed that Quadratec is offering the centerforce II clutch for pre-order. I’m assuming that these parts are much more higher quality that with what comes with the JL. With that being said, would this potentially fix the issue once and for all?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/centerforce/ii-clutch-kit-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt-KCFT157077

Thanks for the feedback in advance!
When you see pics of the stock clutch, it does make you scratch your head. That said, I'm not doing the 'recall' to detune the engine, and haven't had any issues aside from stalling it once in awhile. I will be looking for a simpler option when it goes bad.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/centerforce-clutch-installed-on-jl-rubicon.49050/
Jeep Wrangler JL Calling all 6 Speed Owners 1641659111908

Jeep Wrangler JL Calling all 6 Speed Owners 1641659187285

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I’m wondering how many of you are seriously thinking about swapping out the clutch / pressure plate completely to potentially permanently fix this flaw.
Not me. My clutch has been perfect and I’m entering year 4 of ownership.

If I ever wear out my clutch, I’ll probably consider Southbend as a replacement.

Centerforce have had issues, and even if their Gen II fixes those issues it’s too purpose built [for off-roading] for me.

I think Jeep poorly designed the bleeding system, and poor bleeding probably accounts for most of the “it doesn’t feel right” complaints we read here.

FWIW I have all recalls done. The software one is NOT a detune.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
My experience thus far with the manual transmission: After less than 500 miles. No recalls performed.
Clutch master cylinder leaked into drivers side interior floor. I ordered a replacemnet. 40 days later received part. Disassembled clutch master and found a white piece of plastic stuck between seal and aluminum tube......traced it back to the brake master cylinder port, which feeds the clutch master cylinder. I flushed the system and replaced the brake master, clutch master, and slave cylinder to avoid additional problems down the road.

Note: This system is a PITA to bleed properly. Lifting the rear end helps remove the air from the transmission side of the hydraulic system.

Seriously looking at aftermarket solutions.......I dislike the clutch pedal feel, (way to light) in my opinion......For offroad driving, in some situations.....you real need to be able to slip the clutch better.

Last edited:

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
My experience thus far with the manual transmission: After less than 500 miles. No recalls performed.
Clutch master cylinder leaked into drivers side interior floor. I ordered a replacemnet. 40 days later received part. Disassembled clutch master and found a white piece of plastic stuck between seal and aluminum tube......traced it back to the brake master cylinder port, which feeds the clutch master cylinder. I flushed the sytem and replaced the brake master, clutch master, and slave cylinder to avoid additional problems down the road.

Note: This system is a PITA to bleed properly. Lifting the rear end helps remove the air from the transmission side of the hydraulic system.

Seriously looking at aftermarket solutions.......I dislike the clutch pedal feel,(way to light) in my opinion......For offroad driving, in some situations.....you real need to be able to slip the clutch better.
Just curious why you didn't have the dealership fix this on a new Jeep?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
The recall does not detune the engine.
What does it do? I've read reports that's all it is, unless you have an older JL, which involves a plastic sleeve on the input shaft. The 2020's already have that.

Edit- I found a post that says
"The latest manual transmission recall Jeep is pushing is a software flash that uses wheel speed engine speed etc to detect clutch slip. If excessive slip is detected the Jeep is supposed to reduce engine speed to allow it to cool. This is supposed to keep the pressure plate from exploding."

So IF it slips, then it detunes the engine.

LuckyShooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Just a heads up on the Centerforce, I am running their newest revision and it still is moaning like Chewbaca on on the clutch release. Their official stance on it, "normal" operational noises.

Edit: It sounds like complete shit.

Sponsored

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I have experience as a aircraft and automotive mechanic. I like to complete my own repairs.......
Plus my vehicle is heavily modified. I do'nt want to sound off any warranty alarms, just yet......Not for a couple hundred bucks.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Lucky shooter..........What was your measured flywheel runout, prior to clutch assembly?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
What does it do? I've read reports that's all it is, unless you have an older JL, which involves a plastic sleeve on the input shaft. The 2020's already have that.

Edit- I found a post that says
"The latest manual transmission recall Jeep is pushing is a software flash that uses wheel speed engine speed etc to detect clutch slip. If excessive slip is detected the Jeep is supposed to reduce engine speed to allow it to cool. This is supposed to keep the pressure plate from exploding."

So IF it slips, then it detunes the engine.
Yes, which is a good thing. There is a recent thread on here from a guy who triggered it while wheeling in 4H. It did what it was supposed to do, and once he let it cool down everything was back to normal. (I’m too lazy to find it for you.)

Should this be necessary to prevent the pressure plate from fracturing? Of course not. We all agree it’s a workaround to a design flaw. That said, I’d much rather have to stop and cool down than explode!

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I couldn't find it on Centerforce's web site so all I have to go by is the picture on Quadratec's site. To answer your question, yes, this fixes the issue with OEM because it is a single disk clutch so there is no intermediate steel plate to overheat and fracture.

I am curious as to how they are fitting a pilot bearing, I was under the impression that the transmission does not have a provision for one. I am also curious if they are using a larger diameter friction disk. To get the same torque rating they either have to increase the diameter or double the clamping pressure. Since they tought the light pedal feel is seems likely the disk is larger which would require a pilot bearing to keep loads on the input shaft bearings from getting out of control. All in all, a clutch is a system and the bits need to work together. I do like the idea of a heavier flywheel.

I've never been a fan of Centerforce clutches and would likely go with Southbend as well.

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Agree with others. While the clutch is not perfect, I will play it by ear and see if any issues are realized during ownership
Sponsored