OP

401nate

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6m/t
Heh-heh, ain't that true. I didn't drive a Wrangler at all, until I bought this one, and it's been a learning experience. I appreciate now how good of a V6 was in my old Xterra. The 6-speed Xterra actually drove similarly to the V8s in my Chevy Camaro and Corvette, e.g. it had enough low end torque to skip gears under the right conditions.

The Pentastar, though...seriously, I drive it more like I drove my Mini Cooper S. It has to rev a bit to be happy. I feel that stumble, too. I'm going to give myself until the warranty runs out, and if I haven't taught myself to drive the Jeep gooder [sic] by then, I'm shopping for some gears.

I have to admit, it is entertaining to glance at the green instantaneous MPG and see it wildly fluctuate. It's like being on a race track seeing the tachometer dancing, except it doesn't require high-speed and aggressive cornering. Much safer.
Right! I guess I need to relearn how to drive it. It’s not a rattle for sure. Other than the occasional stumble at low rpm it would otherwise be smooth. I’m really curious what gear people drive 30 in with their manual trans
Sponsored

RNAV

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I have the exact same problem as the OP, and I think most folks in the thread have misinterpreted the OP's concern.

This isn't the engine bogging down from shifting too early. The engine is clearly misfiring. I've noticed this 4 or 5 times in the 200 miles I've driven my new vehicle: slowly accelerating in 3rd gear, little-to-no load.

Two times I've started the vehicle and it began misfiring at idle, before even shifting into gear or moving the vehicle. One time it vibrated the vehicle enough for my wife to ask what it was.

OP
OP

401nate

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6m/t
I have the exact same problem as the OP, and I think most folks in the thread have misinterpreted the OP's concern.

This isn't the engine bogging down from shifting too early. The engine is clearly misfiring. I've noticed this 4 or 5 times in the 200 miles I've driven my new vehicle: slowly accelerating in 3rd gear, little-to-no load.

Two times I've started the vehicle and it began misfiring at idle, before even shifting into gear or moving the vehicle. One time it vibrated the vehicle enough for my wife to ask what it was.
YES!!! This is exactly my scenario to a tee. It’s rather cumbersome driving through town in 3rd at 30mph with the rpm around 1600 ish and feeling a misfire here and there. I get keeping tons higher but at 30 I’m either in second at 3000rpm cruising or 3rd at 1600 misfiring here and there.

Sponsored

RNAV

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for the tips. I'm no stranger to high rpm driving . . . used to do a lot of autocross and know how to wring the most out of an engine.

I'm not sure how doing that will help the engine stop misfiring at idle immediately after I start it, though.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
What octane fuel do you use? I found that by running mid-grade instead of regular the engine pulls noticeably more smoothly, and knock is almost eliminated.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What octane fuel do you use? I found that by running mid-grade instead of regular the engine pulls noticeably more smoothly, and knock is almost eliminated.
I thought I was experiencing knock below 2000 rpm and experimented with grades of fuel but finally came to realize it's noise from inside the transmission. Check if you can duplicate the knock in 1st and 2nd. I couldn't, only in higher gears when the 1-2 gears aren't engaged

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I do believe it's engine vibration being audibly outputted through the transmission. It got much more noticeable after the Centerforce flywheel. My fix has been radio volume...
Sponsored