2018 JLU Rubicon 6 speed

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
I've been complaining about this for awhile. I have another thread, where I posted a video....somewhere.

If you pay attention, you'll notice that when it's going to 'bounce', the revs drop immediately and quickly when you push the clutch in. If the engine does a bit of rev hang, it falls slower, and does not bounce.

I had a dealer explain to me that this is normal, due to a stall condition. They could not provide me with an answer to the question, why does the jeep sense a stall condition any time I downshift?

I've said a few times around here, I can deal with the bouncing when downshifting,...but a few times now, I'm coming up to a red light, pedestrians crossing the road in front me, and as I come to a rest the jeep just revs itself up. Its embarrassing.

I've never experienced this in any other manual I've owned or driven. Jeep calling it normal because they can reproduce the problem in another jeep is lame.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JJacobs

JJacobs

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
I've been complaining about this for awhile. I have another thread, where I posted a video....somewhere.

If you pay attention, you'll notice that when it's going to 'bounce', the revs drop immediately and quickly when you push the clutch in. If the engine does a bit of rev hang, it falls slower, and does not bounce.

I had a dealer explain to me that this is normal, due to a stall condition. They could not provide me with an answer to the question, why does the jeep sense a stall condition any time I downshift?

I've said a few times around here, I can deal with the bouncing when downshifting,...but a few times now, I'm coming up to a red light, pedestrians crossing the road in front me, and as I come to a rest the jeep just revs itself up. Its embarrassing.

I've never experienced this in any other manual I've owned or driven. Jeep calling it normal because they can reproduce the problem in another jeep is lame.
Yeah I just had the dealership finally respond to me and he said that it was normal for the bounce back. He told me that he drove another one on the lot and it did it as well. So that is how he came up with “that it is normal”. I’m going to say it’s not because I have asked some other places and their would be people saying that theirs doesn’t do the bounce. I also asked about the noise when it hits the bottom of the bounce and he told me that it was the driveshaft re-engaging. Didn’t really like how they handled this and felt like that he was just coming up with some stuff to try and get me out of there. So I just gave up and I am going to another dealership soon.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Yeah I just had the dealership finally respond to me and he said that it was normal for the bounce back. He told me that he drove another one on the lot and it did it as well. So that is how he came up with “that it is normal”. I’m going to say it’s not because I have asked some other places and their would be people saying that theirs doesn’t do the bounce. I also asked about the noise when it hits the bottom of the bounce and he told me that it was the driveshaft re-engaging. Didn’t really like how they handled this and felt like that he was just coming up with some stuff to try and get me out of there. So I just gave up and I am going to another dealership soon.
Post back if you have any luck. I've gotten no where. Good luck

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder if this is the same jingle I hear from time to time. I think what I hear is the transfer case gears shifting back and forth with there is no torque on the chain and then back on again. Similar to when you are off reading in 4 low and let off the gas and on again, you get that chain jingle sounds. Is this what you are referring too? If so, it’s normal from what I understand. Its just the chain inside the tcase shifting back and forth.

OP
OP
JJacobs

JJacobs

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Wonder if this is the same jingle I hear from time to time. I think what I hear is the transfer case gears shifting back and forth with there is no torque on the chain and then back on again. Similar to when you are off reading in 4 low and let off the gas and on again, you get that chain jingle sounds. Is this what you are referring too? If so, it’s normal from what I understand. Its just the chain inside the tcase shifting back and forth.
Yeah I don’t know. So I have been experimenting with it and if I wait for the rpms to drop to 1000 or under and push the clutch in it will not do the rpm spike with the noise. But I’m not a fan of that because it seems to start lugging the engine.

OP
OP
JJacobs

JJacobs

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
So I am going for a drive today to see if this pcm/update flash. Hopefully the rpms act normal.
Sponsored