New Jlu 6 speed low rpm stumble

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Without reading every word of every posting in this thread, let me tell you I have been down this road. Half the people don't even understand what the problem is. FCA doesn't CARE about the problem. Quote from a regional tech: "I have felt better, I have felt worse and we're not doing anything about it right now." Let me tell you what actually helps. One: In settings, on you dash display, find "hill start assist," and turn it to OFF. You will find about a fifty percent improvement in run quality and find it EASIER to start on a hill. Second, and this is new......I just changed my wheels to some new-take-ff Sahara wheels. They are 255 70R 18 Bridgestones.. Since I have put these on, the misfire problem is 95% gone. Old wheels were 245 75R 17 Goodyears. Side by side, there is about one inch difference in height. I agree that the gearing is horrible, throughout the entire range. You have to be going over 70 to even think about sixth. But this tire height, for what ever reason, seems to have changed ratios just enough to made a huge difference in my case, when just driving normally around town, between 35 and 45 mph.

Third, one other cheater trick is that when you hold a steady speed, the computer seems to dial in and lean it out too much, to save gas, I guess; and you get the misfire. If it starts doing that, if you change the throttle position ever so slightly on and off, it confuses the computer and it runs smooth again for awhile.

Since I have done the three things above, I no longer feel like pulling over and setting the vehicle on fire, in anger. like I used to. Lol.
Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
3.6L V6, 6 Speed

So I’ve been using 87 octane fuel since I picked up my Jeep, and have been using it for the 1700 miles since then. Have always had the same complaints as everyone in this thread.

Today I decided to fill up with 93 octane and HOLY CRAP it’s like a completely different vehicle now.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
There are a variety of good suggestions above, each helps a little. Use higher octane fuel, especially in warmer weather. Shift at higher RPMs. It takes time to get used to the unusual shift points of this transmission. My Banks cold air intake helped a lot. And, everything runs much better after an extended break-in period.

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I have used 89 octane since my first fill up. It's something I have just always done. 89 made zero difference in the way mine ran. You have to be careful in deciding what helps and what doesn't; as the Jeep will have good days and bad days, all on it's own. Sometimes it will run well to the grocery store and run like crap, coming home, all on the same day. If you use 93 and still think it helps after a week or a month, now you're seeing something.

OP
OP

401nate

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6m/t
Yeah I have 93 in her now with now change for the 3rd gear issue. Anything under 2000rpm even very light cruising is a 50/50 shot I will feel a quick stumble. I’m just trying to be diligent on keeping rpms over 2000. But it’s a pita trying to do say 30mph in 25mph zones.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have a 2020 3.6L Manual and have the same issues with mine..

Thank you for posting this.. I will be interested to see what everyone says..
Everyone says shift higher. Closer to 3000RPM. If you are trying to cruise at 30MPH in a 25MPH, stay in second!

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
I just had the TSB for loud AC fan completed along with the clutch recall, and it feels like a new Jeep. Clutch better with smoother engagement and the TSB has alleviated the tach RPM blip up between shifts, and she pulls better from low RPM's even in #rd gear where the stumble is all but eliminated. That TSB must have also altered the timing on the engine, love it so far...

traxtion

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Manual Rubicon
Just drove back from the dealer and found this thread. I’ve been experiencing this issue for about a year and have resolved it with 93 octane but obviously prefer to not burn money. I got the typical “can’t recreate” and “flash said no issues” so I spent the next two hours messing with shift points. Sure as shit, I didn’t hear the noise once on the drive home with 87 in the tank. Not convinced the problem is gone but seems clear that high RPM shifts are optimal with this thing. It’s good to see others in the thread have had similar success.

traxtion

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Manual Rubicon
Forgot to mention the dealer said there was a bulletin in about 15% ethanol causing spark knock. Frustrating as hell because I’ve been using exclusively shell for 4 months. Wish they could come up with a real explanation
Sponsored