Sponsored

6 speed Rubicon binding noise in 4low

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
Okay I'm fully aware some noise is normal however it seems I have a grinding/binding noise I can only hear in 4 low, this is not when shifting into gear but while actually driving in 4 low. Sounds like something is binding in the driveline, lockers off or on doesn't change the noise. Seemed to happen when suspension was flexing (big or small) or making turns almost like an axel was locked but it wasn't? I only used 1-3rd with the 6 speed in low today and it made the noise in each speed but only in 4 wheel low. Is this normal or something I need to bring up to my dealer. Vehicle is about a week old...

'21 2 door rubi with 6speed manual.
Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Not normal...it should sound exactly like four high or any other gear for that matter , nothing surprises me anymore on these

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
In 4wd, you will get binding when making sharp turns or any time the front wheels turn at a different speed than the rear. This is true of any 4wd. The manual should have a mention of this and that they don't recommend 4wd on hard/paved surfaces.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChromeToaster

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In 4wd, you will get binding when making sharp turns or any time the front wheels turn at a different speed than the rear. This is true of any 4wd. The manual should have a mention of this and that they don't recommend 4wd on hard/paved surfaces.
I understand binding on road, this was all off-road on loose dirt and rocks. I will try and get a vid up on YouTube with the noise sometime soon.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I understand binding on road, this was all off-road on loose dirt and rocks. I will try and get a vid up on YouTube with the noise sometime soon.
Does it do it only when turning? You still get wheel hop on loose surfaces when turning, it's just that the slipping that is allowed prevents binding/damage. It's more noticeable in 4L than 4H.

If that's not it maybe it's something to get checked out.

Sponsored

Wixo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
Had the same noise from my automatic diesel this weekend. To me it sounded like some sort of traction control trying to work. Lockers were off no buttons pushed besides the sway bar disco in snow. Our jk never sounded like this.

OP
OP
ChromeToaster

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you driving straight or turning when it "binds"?
Happened both going straight and when making turns seemed to do it in straight lines when going over things that made the vehicle suspension flex. I had offroad + active if that matters.

OP
OP
ChromeToaster

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had the same noise from my automatic diesel this weekend. To me it sounded like some sort of traction control trying to work. Lockers were off no buttons pushed besides the sway bar disco in snow. Our jk never sounded like this.
I am wondering if its some kind of traction control as well. I've never driven a newer 4x4 so the technology side is new to me.

Wixo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
I am wondering if its some kind of traction control as well. I've never driven a newer 4x4 so the technology side is new to me.
the wife was driving and to her it feels like the a-trac on my Fj cruiser when it’s engaging for traction. We didn’t have any traction buttons engaged so i was not sure if there is something automatic on these newer jeeps. It was only noticeable a couple of times when we were out.

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
the wife was driving and to her it feels like the a-trac on my Fj cruiser when it’s engaging for traction. We didn’t have any traction buttons engaged so i was not sure if there is something automatic on these newer jeeps. It was only noticeable a couple of times when we were out.
Hi Matt, traction control is active unless you turn it off with the button on the dash or, I believe, you're in 4wd Low.

Later,
Johnny

Wixo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
Hi Matt, traction control is active unless you turn it off with the button on the dash or, I believe, you're in 4wd Low.

Later,
Johnny
we were in low so it all should have been off as far as I know. I’ll have to dig in to it some more and find out what’s going on.

OP
OP
ChromeToaster

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Went out today and was unable to duplicate it however I was on a downhill vs uphill like last time so ill try again next time Im out.

Pharmguy75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 21 Audi Q7
21 JLUR and mine is making the same noise. Not sure what it is, but I've never heard something like this and IMO something is wrong. My buddies JL wasn't making the noise and my JK never made this kind of binding/grinding noise before either.

OP
OP
ChromeToaster

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've still been unable to replicate it so maybe it was something just breaking in... that said I haven't really been on a trail that needed 4 low again yet. I may hit some snow on my next off day and try 4 low for the noise. For now I'm assuming mainly that it was some kind of traction control. I will test 4 low turning and with offroad+ on and off to see if that can reproduce it.
Sponsored