6 speed Rubicon binding noise in 4low

nesman7

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
I had the same thing happen 2 weeks ago when I was in alot of mud so traction control may make sense. The first 2 times I was offroad on dry loose rocks I didn't have any problems but on a muddy day in KY it was making some more concerning noises that I haven't figured out yet. This was also the first time I had offroad+.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChromeToaster

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
Okay found this online on a gladiator forum...
This makes sense basically says it is infact the BLD system modulating the brakes. I will have to dig into my Wrangler manual to see if there's any difference between the gladiator or not but it sounds about right.

Jeep Wrangler JL 6 speed Rubicon binding noise in 4low 14DB50FF-3D2A-46CA-8BC4-B43D13AFEDF8
Jeep Wrangler JL 6 speed Rubicon binding noise in 4low 6E0806EF-27B4-4421-85B3-F804A6FDF2CD

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I would really love to actually hear this particular noise that everyone is talking about. I also have a 2021 rubicon.

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
The first time that I took my wife offroading with me in my JL, we were climbing up a steep snowy hill and the BLD started activating when the wheels would slip. She asked me what was wrong with my Jeep, she thought something was broken. It’s not a good sound, especially when you’re trying to throttle through a slippery situation. Lots of metallic grinding/ABS noises.

OP
OP
ChromeToaster

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The first time that I took my wife offroading with me in my JL, we were climbing up a steep snowy hill and the BLD started activating when the wheels would slip. She asked me what was wrong with my Jeep, she thought something was broken. It’s not a good sound, especially when you’re trying to throttle through a slippery situation. Lots of metallic grinding/ABS noises.
I'm really confident that was what I heard as well and not a defect at this point. I also just did a 1000 mile trip with zero issues other than wind almost blowing me into the next county...

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Get on a steep downhill and use hill descent control, see if it sounds similar. Hill descent control makes some crazy noise, but It works fairly well.

OP
OP
ChromeToaster

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get on a steep downhill and use hill descent control, see if it sounds similar. Hill descent control makes some crazy noise, but It works fairly well.
Don't think I have that with the manual trans...

diamondschwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bikini Blue JLUR, 2021 Billet Silver JLURD
21 JULR EcoDiesel experiencing the same noises here

OP
OP
ChromeToaster

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JULR EcoDiesel experiencing the same noises here
It's normal just the brake lock differential working. Essentially an ABS system that helps you offroad sadly it is always active but it actually works pretty good at least.

Sponsored

Bekser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR Sarge Green 6MT
It's normal just the brake lock differential working. Essentially an ABS system that helps you offroad sadly it is always active but it actually works pretty good at least.
Good to know, I was out today and started hearing this noise as well. Grinding noise in 4lo even when going straight. I typically forget to hit the Offroad+ when wheeling, but today I for sure did. I also noticed it just generally drives a bit different in terms of acceleration and shifting. I'm assuming offroad+ is good to use so just gotta get used to it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The noise should go away if you lock both diffs. That will confirm it is BLD activating.
Sponsored