6 speed rattle/noise at 3k RPMs

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Do you have a recording? I’d say what you describe is different. I can’t make my 6MT do it in neutral.
Working on it. It doesn't come out well in video so I need to enhance it. And when I have the hood open, the engine sounds like a diesel making it hard to distinguish the sound from everything else. 😂 I'll post it when I can. I put in premium gas to see if there was a difference and there wasn't. I had been putting in too tier gas before, never had an issue with 87 but did 89 last full then 91 today.
Sponsored

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Working on it. It doesn't come out well in video so I need to enhance it. And when I have the hood open, the engine sounds like a diesel making it hard to distinguish the sound from everything else. 😂 I'll post it when I can. I put in premium gas to see if there was a difference and there wasn't. I had been putting in too tier gas before, never had an issue with 87 but did 89 last full then 91 today.
For now, I'll post this one. A lot of ticking noise for lack of a better description. Took it up to 3000 rpms and then down to near idle at the end. Sounds totally different with hood down and driving. I'll put that one up later

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Do you have a recording? I’d say what you describe is different. I can’t make my 6MT do it in neutral.
Ok here is the best i can get it. Most prominent before the first shift. Sounds like a purring on the video, but it's not a cool exhaust sound i assure you.

Dp227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6MT
Ok here is the best i can get it. Most prominent before the first shift. Sounds like a purring on the video, but it's not a cool exhaust sound i assure you.

Hard for me to tell over a recording personally. To me it sounds different, but that could just be a difference in recording equipment, road noise, etc. If you say it sounds like the first video in this post, then yes, that’s it. I’ve not heard of an auto making the noise though.

Is it consistent, or intermittent? Does it seem to happen under certain circumstances or after certain driving patterns? And if you shift the auto into neutral while driving you can still get it to make that noise?

For me, it requires a good interstate run or similar before it’ll start acting up. Not just 5 miles. Spirited driving will make it act up sooner. It used to just happen a hair under 3k, and that’s still the most common but I’ll hear it a bit quieter at other RPMs too. Only happens in gear.

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Hard for me to tell over a recording personally. To me it sounds different, but that could just be a difference in recording equipment, road noise, etc. If you say it sounds like the first video in this post, then yes, that’s it. I’ve not heard of an auto making the noise though.

Is it consistent, or intermittent? Does it seem to happen under certain circumstances or after certain driving patterns? And if you shift the auto into neutral while driving you can still get it to make that noise?

For me, it requires a good interstate run or similar before it’ll start acting up. Not just 5 miles. Spirited driving will make it act up sooner. It used to just happen a hair under 3k, and that’s still the most common but I’ll hear it a bit quieter at other RPMs too. Only happens in gear.
Yeah it's all the time, when I get close to and over 3000 rpms. It's especially noticeable building up from the shift from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. After that, it's there but the engine and road/ wind noise make it harder to hear. I have got the noise to be heard in neutral too. I don't know enough about engines to know if it's the lifters, rocker arms, or if it's an exhaust manifold leak. My TJ seems much easier to diagnose but these more modern engines have so many sounds going on and so much crap crammed under the hood its hard for me to isolate.

Sponsored

buzzdoc

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WranglerUnlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Glorified plumber

Yikes. I had a very similar noise that was less consistent. Sounded like it was coming from the left side of the engine bay. The sound was more prominent in the 2500-3000 rpm range and more noticeable with the engine under load going uphill, but I could replicate it in neutral. Mine was a bad main bearing that damaged the block and head. Just got mine back from the shop last week with a new engine. I hope yours isn't the same noise...

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Yikes. I had a very similar noise that was less consistent. Sounded like it was coming from the left side of the engine bay. The sound was more prominent in the 2500-3000 rpm range and more noticeable with the engine under load going uphill, but I could replicate it in neutral. Mine was a bad main bearing that damaged the block and head. Just got mine back from the shop last week with a new engine. I hope yours isn't the same noise...
That wouldn't be fun. Could be. Or maybe a lifter. Who knows. I dropped it at the dealer today. The service rep heard it so at least it isn't just me and I don't expect to get the response "it's normal. It's a jeep thing" though I could be wrong.

So did you get a warranty with the new engine? Was the old one under warranty? If not, dare i ask what it cost you?

buzzdoc

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WranglerUnlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Glorified plumber
That wouldn't be fun. Could be. Or maybe a lifter. Who knows. I dropped it at the dealer today. The service rep heard it so at least it isn't just me and I don't expect to get the response "it's normal. It's a jeep thing" though I could be wrong.

So did you get a warranty with the new engine? Was the old one under warranty? If not, dare i ask what it cost you?
Yes. Happened at 33k miles (2021 JLUR). Looking online, the 3.6 is about $7000 for the engine. The paperwork for the repair did not include any prices.

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Ok, got the call from the dealer. Bad rocker arm. Thank God it's covered under the remaining few miles on my warranty.

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Hey all, I've been fighting a rattle for a year on my 2021 6MT JLU. This video captures it pretty well right around 4s. Sounds like a metallic rattle. I've taken the entire dash apart and found nothing. Sound familiar to anyone that had an issue that was resolved? Dealer tried to blame my garage door opener...

Sponsored

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
y all, I've been fighting a rattle for a year on my 2021 6MT JLU. This video captures it pretty well right around 4s. Sounds like a metallic rattle. I've taken the entire dash apart and found nothing. Sound familiar to anyone that had an issue that was resolved? Dealer tried to blame my garage d
I think we have a similar rattle or ticking. Have you tracked it down? If not, take it to a dealer while you are still under warranty.

Chrisbayridge1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Clubs

Hey all, just started noticing a noise coming from the transmission/pedal area in my 6 speed JL. It seems to happen on flat ground or inclines, so load doesn’t seem to matter. It’s always around 3k RPMs and I only notice it in 2nd or 3rd gear (might happen in the higher gears but wind noise is too loud and would mask it). I can’t consistently reproduce it, seems to happen fairly randomly.

Any ideas?
My 2023 2dr Rubicon with 8 speed auto makes similar noise very rarely but wtf? I can't figure it out either

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
My 2023 2dr Rubicon with 8 speed auto makes similar noise very rarely but wtf? I can't figure it out either

Yours sounds very loud, assuming it was at idle. I see you have a 2023, so the fix should be under warranty.

Chrisbayridge1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Clubs

Yours sounds very loud, assuming it was at idle. I see you have a 2023, so the fix should be under warranty.
I'll definitely under warranty whatever it is I wish I knew what I'm dealing with though if it's just a loose bolt somewhere that rattles every now and then cuz it's very rare happens maybe once a month for a few minutes then stops and I'm sure when I bring it to the dealership it's not going to do it 😂
Sponsored