Cacked windshield!

poncho@home

First Name
Nektar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL, Mustang GT, Street Triple 675R
Happened to snap a pic(clean windshield) of the traffic yesterday after picking up my Jeep from the body shop.
This morning was a decently cold one and as I'm driving to an appointment, I hear a small crack...a few minutes later I see the newly formed crack in the windshield (dirty windshield)!

Like WTH?

Can't see any impact mark. Crazy that these windshields are so prone to cracking, seemingly from the cold today

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0441 2.JPG
Sponsored

bonniejf

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
probably caused by the defroster - there's several threads. Happened to mine.

OP
OP
poncho@home

poncho@home

First Name
Nektar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah probably. But that is a little ridiculous. I’ve owned dozens of cars and this morning was cold, but not as cold as it gets. Never expected this

jollyjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Willys Sport, 89 CRX Si, 90 Buick Reatta

Deleted member 59498

I have similar crack, the rock hit in the seal area below the wiper on the windshield and it finally cracked the rest of the way after defroster.

Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Cacked windshield??? Man, that's cucked up! :)

Seriously though, a few other folks have had similar issues with what is apparently sudden changes in temp. I agree, OP, that it shouldn't be a thing in this day and age, but apparently it is.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
There's this film for protection https://www.quadratec.com/p/tactik/windshield-guard-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt

But my geico policy is no deductible for a windshield repair (they grind the chip and fill so the crack doesn't propagate further), or $100 for a replacement. Have had to replace windshields on all my other cars, so I just accept it as a consumable.
while I'll agree wholeheartedly with your solution, I'm more apt to recommend racing optics' offering of a similar product: although R/O's is a triple layer tear-off and, R/O got it's start with NASCAR.
https://racingopticsjeep.com/

jollyjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Willys Sport, 89 CRX Si, 90 Buick Reatta
while I'll agree wholeheartedly with your solution, I'm more apt to recommend racing optics' offering of a similar product: although R/O's is a triple layer tear-off and, R/O got it's start with NASCAR.
https://racingopticsjeep.com/
nice. I wasn’t familiar with this product. It looks like a thicker film and multiple layers should help. $230 is reasonable, but still more than paying for my glass subscription through insurance. Safelite does mobile service now, so don’t even need to leave the house.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I have had a crack start in very similar location and run like yours. Seen others similarly so. I’m thinking there is some induced stress put on the windshield during installation and rapid temp differences inside vs outside cause it.

It would be interesting to see if the installer is bending the glass a little when they seat it in the frame.

OP
OP
poncho@home

poncho@home

First Name
Nektar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well at this point I'll wait until it gets worse or spring. Hoping this won't become a cost of ownership recurring replacement

Sponsored

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
nice. I wasn’t familiar with this product. It looks like a thicker film and multiple layers should help. $230 is reasonable, but still more than paying for my glass subscription through insurance. Safelite does mobile service now, so don’t even need to leave the house.
there's also a forum discount for a 10% off which makes it a little more reasonable. I'm on my last layer & jsut waiting for it to warm up a bit to install the new one I"ve got sitting here. There are some dings in the laminate where I've taken some rocks & i KNOW for a fact that without the film, I"d have destroyed several windshields..I swear by R/O & really not interested in trying other brands' offerings

Mastergmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Is there a forum discount code for the Racing Optics product? I think I would like to try out the RO brand instead of the single use product.

EDIT:
I dug around some and found "forum" without the quotes is the discount code which saves $22 from the full price of the product. Thanks!

Last edited:

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

I just won a racing optics film at winter4x4jamboree. I'm excited to give it a try and like the positive reviews I'm seeing here. First off I need to get my windshield replaced.

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
I just won a racing optics film at winter4x4jamboree. I'm excited to give it a try and like the positive reviews I'm seeing here. First off I need to get my windshield replaced.
I’ve had racing optics on my Gorilla Glass windshield since I had to replace the original windshield after Mopar would not replace It. Since then I’ve had several good rock hits and no chips or cracks. Great product. Just a word of caution, make absolutely sure there is NO Lint on the windshield before installation. I made the mistake of using paper towels to wipe the windshield, now I have a few little spots under the film. Not bad enough to bother me though.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

I’ve had racing optics on my Gorilla Glass windshield since I had to replace the original windshield after Mopar would not replace It. Since then I’ve had several good rock hits and no chips or cracks. Great product. Just a word of caution, make absolutely sure there is NO Lint on the windshield before installation. I made the mistake of using paper towels to wipe the windshield, now I have a few little spots under the film. Not bad enough to bother me though.
Awesome, thanks for the tip. Microfiber towel it is then!
Sponsored