SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
Hello JL 3.0 owners,
I finally picked up the diesel and did the 600 mile drive home. The motor is amazing. Fast, powerful, and averaged 27 mpg driving 70-80.
As soon as pulled into the driveway I noticed a buzz/hum from the engine bay after shutdown. The noise last for 3 minutes and then goes away. I do have a call into into dealer but havenā€™t heard back. I donā€™t think this is normal but donā€™t know.
Sponsored

Attachments

hazards280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLUR 392 - Sarge Green
The sound you're hearing is a pump circulating coolant through the turbo and intercooler. This is done to help cool these components and prevent heat soak from causing damage.

Note, I own a Alfa Romeo Giulia (turbo as well) and it makes the exact same noise when its turned off. Other owners have asked the question and Alfa responded back with the details.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
The sound you're hearing is a pump circulating coolant through the turbo and intercooler. This is done to help cool these components and prevent heat soak from causing damage.
1. Thanks, I wondered what that noise was.
2. Yet another reason not to keep a vehicle more than a few years - so complicated. (Or maybe Iā€™m just getting older? OR BOTH!)

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
1. Thanks, I wondered what that noise was.
2. Yet another reason not to keep a vehicle more than a few years - so complicated. (Or maybe Iā€™m just getting older? OR BOTH!)
This is a common cool-down procedure for modern turbo diesel engines. You WANT it to do this. Before manufacturers installed this auto cooling, you were supposed to let the engine idle for up to several minutes prior to every shut down in order to get the turbo and EGR temps back into a acceptable range. This is/was especially important after hauling heavy loads, going up steep grades, etc. Shutting down a diesel engine when the EGR temps are high will lead to a short engine life.

Sponsored

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
I was wondering the same thing too. I have been letting it idle for a minute or so but its nice to know that won't be needed anymore.

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Hooray! Question answered using the search function. :)
I figured the noise was normal and nothing to be concerned with, but it is definitely unique to any vehicle I've had before that had more mellow sounding shut down noises.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Are we certain that's what the buzzing is? Because the sound comes from the CP4 injection pump.

Turbo cooling would make more sense, though.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Digging up this thread, my diesel Wrangler has buzzed after shutoff since new (more like a hum), but today after a run to town, the buzzing is easily 5X Louder than ever before šŸ˜¬

• Wow
Reactions: ECP
OP
OP
SCOverlander

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
Digging up this thread, my diesel Wrangler has buzzed after shutoff since new (more like a hum), but today after a run to town, the buzzing is easily 5X Louder than ever before šŸ˜¬
I would think if the noise is now louder then that may not be normal. Are you going to take it in?

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I would think if the noise is now louder then that may not be normal. Are you going to take it in?
adding some fuel treatment & topping off, will monitor- dealer wonā€™t do anything until something breaks anyway. Note: I did get fuel from an unfamiliar station last time-

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
I thought it was a cool down cycle as well but Itā€™s the fuel system. Green Diesel Engineering explained it to me that only the Jeep does this after shutting off and the Ram does not so itā€™s disabled as part of their tune.
Sponsored