First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've mentioned in a few other threads that I have concerns about the diesel's sound level. This video (watch minutes 1:20 - 4:00) is the source of my angst. Cool under some (limited) circumstance but harsh/noisy in most. That said, I think the the microphone placement may be accentuating the sound. It sounds like the mike is under the hood!
Sponsored

CAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D, , 2019 200 Series Land Cruiser, 2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4wd,
Fro the most part it sounds like a normal diesel to me.

At 1:20 you're hearing the flap in the exhaust rattling.

One cool feature of the new EcoDiesel is that they're using post-dpf exhaust for the EGR system. This means a cleaner intake, cleaner oil, lower maintenance, etc. To get exhaust pressure high enough to overcome boost they create a restriction in the exhaust with a flapper valve. At least that's how I understand the system. In certain situations it will rattle. Only spot I heard it is at !:20.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I think you're just going to have to wait until they are on the dealer lots and then go see for yourself......if you can find one without someone's name on it.

JMO, but I don't think these will be sitting around on lots taking up space. I think they are going to have a hard time keeping them in stock.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Why anyone would want a 'quiet' diesel is beyond me.
This is the old "ball-bearings-in-a-coffee-can" sound (on steroids). Melodious to some I guess, but cacophonous to me. The good news is that the video is likely VERY misleading.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is the old "ball-bearings-in-a-coffee-can" sound (on steroids). Melodious to some I guess, but cacophonous to me. The good news is that the video is likely VERY misleading.
I prefer not to be like one of those guys in the rice-burner with the flatulent-sounding coffee can muffler. They think that it sounds great; the rest of us are covering our ears and rolling our eyes. I'll prefer to enjoy my Diesel (somewhat) to myself.

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
Why anyone would want a 'quiet' diesel is beyond me.
Sure I don't want it "1990 Cummins Diesel" loud, but anything a few decibels below that is :rock:
Having a distinctive sound is part of what you pay for with a diesel, not for it to sound like a sewing machine. Just MHO-

I had a ZR2 with the 4 cylinder diesel and was worried that it would be too quiet or subdued. I was pleasantly surprised that there was no mistaking it was a diesel not only inside the cab, but also on the outside. The EcoDiesel seems to be in the same ballpark from all the videos I have seen. A lot of the reviewers complained it was too loud when they windows were down, but it made me smile as that’s exactly what I want to hear.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
A lot of the reviewers complained it was too loud when they windows were down, but it made me smile as that’s exactly what I want to hear.
MY GC 3.0 is much too quiet for my tastes, I know it's a premium vehicle or whatever but yeah when I roll the window down I wanna hear those Torques LOL. I imagine neither the Wrangler nor the JT will have as extreme sound-deadening qualities so I am very optimistic.
Nobody buys a Mustang for it to be 'quiet'...

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Here's a revenue generating opportunity for Jeep: Porsche charges nearly $3K for their Sport Exhaust system. The system allows the driver to toggle between subdued and robust. [except "robust" in a 911 creates a sound that most bystanders enjoy] :)

Sponsored

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
Here's a revenue generating opportunity for Jeep: Porsche charges nearly $3K for their Sport Exhaust system. The system allows the driver to toggle between subdued and robust. [except "robust" in a 911 creates a sound that most bystanders enjoy] :)
It’s not the exhaust sound we are talking about, it’s the sound from the engine bay. One of the big allures for a lot of people is the magical sound of the Diesel engine clatter.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It’s not the exhaust sound we are talking about, it’s the sound from the engine bay. One of the big allures for a lot of people is the magical sound of the Diesel engine clatter.
It's not intended to be a perfect comparison. My point is that Porsche recognizes that, no matter how much it's music to someones ears, the ability to turn the sound down is sometimes desirable. I wasn't trying to make a diagnosis of the source. Bottom line: different strokes, but don't come back, post delivery, having grown tired of the sound. :)

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
It's not intended to be a perfect comparison. My point is that Porsche recognizes that, no matter how much it's music to someones ears, the ability to turn the sound down is sometimes desirable. I wasn't trying to make a diagnosis of the source. Bottom line: different strokes, but don't come back, post delivery, having grown tired of the sound. :)
I will never grow tired of the sound of the clatter of a Diesel engine.