Buying from Canada

DawnViola

First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2022 Wrangler Willys
Has anybody here purchased from a Canadian dealer? What was the purchase/import process like?
Sponsored

NickJar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RD
Only thing I can offer is if you build one it takes 2-3x longer than if you build one in the states. I ordered mine at the end of October last year and got it in June.

OP
OP
DawnViola

DawnViola

First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2022 Wrangler Willys
Only thing I can offer is if you build one it takes 2-3x longer than if you build one in the states. I ordered mine at the end of October last year and got it in June.
It's already built and sitting on a lot. I want to buy it and bring it to Oregon.

MacJeep

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sport S 2dr
Check if they will honour the warranty in the US if you live there
Seems strange but I recall there could be an issue with that. If you are a Canadian and travelling in the US not an issue. I heard this on another forum but don’t know if it is true. I would look into that.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Kahunadave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0 Etorque; 2015 GrCherokee ltd 2wd
Occupation
Auto Lending
Has anybody here purchased from a Canadian dealer? What was the purchase/import process like?
I have Not.. but i can tell you this. When i was shopping for my Wrangler i found a few preOwned being Sold here in the US that were brought in from Canada. When i talked to the dealers about if the Factory Wrty was transferable, they told me No. Not sure if that is 100% accurate or they were just saying that, but something to keep in mind. .02

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That’s correct: Canada-market vehicles registered in the US lose their warranty, and vice-versa.

There are exceptions if you are military or government official being transferred. But you will have to document all of that.

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
I purchased our Canadian market 2020 Wrangler from a dealer here in the US (Massachusetts). True to what others have said, the warranty will NOT transfer here, you can always drive it into Canada for the work should you happen to live close enough. Now there is an exception and it's super weird, and after a ton of back and forth with FCA my warranty is good here in the US. If the car was purchased/registered in Canada as a rental vehicle and served at least 1 year as such it can be transferred here to the US with warranty intact (build sheet will have an endorsement with CanAM warranty listed). Even with this, anytime I opened a warranty claim with FCA they would balk since the VIN starts with Canadian prefix (a C I believe), eventually a knowledgeable dealer figured out the process to do a one time conversion from a CanAm warranty to a full US warranty and I'm good. Last year I had the infamous bubbling door hinges taken care of fully covered.

Sponsored

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
I purchased our Canadian market 2020 Wrangler from a dealer here in the US (Massachusetts). True to what others have said, the warranty will NOT transfer here, you can always drive it into Canada for the work should you happen to live close enough. Now there is an exception and it's super weird, and after a ton of back and forth with FCA my warranty is good here in the US. If the car was purchased/registered in Canada as a rental vehicle and served at least 1 year as such it can be transferred here to the US with warranty intact (build sheet will have an endorsement with CanAM warranty listed). Even with this, anytime I opened a warranty claim with FCA they would balk since the VIN starts with Canadian prefix (a C I believe), eventually a knowledgeable dealer figured out the process to do a one time conversion from a CanAm warranty to a full US warranty and I'm good. Last year I had the infamous bubbling door hinges taken care of fully covered.
There's also minor things to consider like speedometer being switched from Kph to Mph (not just the digital, that's easy, but the placard for the analog gauge as well.

ricardir

First Name
Ryan Ricardi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep WRangler
I’m dealing with this exact issue. How did you ever get past level one tech support? So frustrating

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
My car salesman friends have warned me never to buy Canadian vehicles. Not worth the warranty headache. Pass.
Sponsored