Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Jim thanks for the great info. I'll be out looking for some of that stuff this weekend. As for the train...sure bud anytime! I never mind BUT...my company may. Only if we get caught! Working a route right now that starts at 9pm M-F, sleeping most of the day. Kinda getting in the way of my quality time with my 2 week old Jeep! NOT FAIR
Thanks bud, you know how little boys love trains. :)

BTW, if you need help keeping the battery up in the Jeep, call me. I can drive it for you also. ;)
Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Bugs? Yeah.. Florida Love bugs!

183925[/ATTACH]
Good night, that's terrible. My first encounter with those things were way way back in 1977 driving our '71 GTO. What a mess.

Last edited:

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I have NEVER seen so many bugs meet their mercy on a windshield in my life! Every trip, whether its 20 miles or 100 miles, my windshield is covered. I have to clean it every time I drive it. Does anyone else have this issue or did I get the upgraded windshield with bug attractant?!?!
I bought Turtle Wax ICE and I use it on my car of course and also my windows. Put it on wipe it off and the bugs literally don't stick to the glass. And the ones that do u arte able to just wipe them off

ferrellmc

First Name
Ferrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have NEVER seen so many bugs meet their mercy on a windshield in my life! Every trip, whether its 20 miles or 100 miles, my windshield is covered. I have to clean it every time I drive it. Does anyone else have this issue or did I get the upgraded windshield with bug attractant?!?!
Consider too that the windshield is is closer to vertical than many other cars. Bugs splat rather than deflect.

Sponsored

Jdunn

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 4-dr
As a "former" detailer I have to say, bugs guts and bird shit WILL ruin your paint if you leave it on too long. I can't tell y'all how many painted bumpers, side mirrors and hoods that had permanent scars. But Mr Jimmy, won't that "wax" out, no Poindexter it will not: you see, your paint is made up of a base or primer coat, followed by the color layer, then a clear coat. That bug spatter ate through the clear and into the color, no amount of buffing or even wet sanding will make it right.Let me give you the name of my bodyshop guy - he'll be happy to repaint it for you. Then, maybe either wash your truck more often than yearly or invest in a clear film.
What to you recommend to use for a good bug cleaner?

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Bugs? Yeah.. Florida Love bugs!

IMG_2561.jpeg

IMG_2562.jpeg
My JLUR looked almost that bad after my first road trip this weekend. For a dark stretch of Highway 10 headed toward The Big Easy, it seemed like it was raining bugs. Spent about an hour cleaning it today.

vap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Rain-X makes bugs coming off the windshield much easier. Pressure washer is for the rest.

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Bug cleaner - assuming you're looking for something quick and don't have time for a full bucket wash. OK - there are several companies that make a no-rinse type of car wash. Get a bottle and get a quart spray bottle, mix TWICE the amount they have for the regular no-rinse wash with water in the quart bottle. You now have a good cleaner and it's cheaper than spend 4-5 bucks for a quick detailer.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
To be honest just a good cleaning regimen will make life easier. Take everything down and start fresh. Wash, claybar, polish (lightest grit and don't fixate in one spot too long if you're using a machine, you'll burn through), then a good wax. After the wax then use a good sealant. Once you have a good foundation then just wash with good gentle automotive soap, do not use dish soap or simple green or anything like that. Use the two bucket system (one for rinse with a sand trap, and one for soap). Use clean microfibers mitts and an oversized microfiber to dry. I wax and reseal every 6 months. Bugs, rain, pollen, road grime, tar, etc comes off easy. Half the time if it rains the bugs just fall off and I rarely have to use my windshield wipers unless it dumping buckets. It's a lot of work, but it's only twice a year and then just regular washes once a month. Also helps to have a little brother who wants that gas money :)

Trev.jpg

NEVER use wax then Sealant, Wax is ALWAYS last step if a sealant is used. Using a wax before sealant will prevent the sealant from penatrating the pors, wax only has a couple months whereas a synthetic sealer up to a year, you do not want to apply the shortest life product (wax) first

I just did the full 3M paint protection film wrap, now I just pull out the detailer spray and wipe the bugs off without the risk of harming the paint. I also self applied ceramic coating to the 3M wrap, windows and wheels everything wipes off easy now. While ceramic is good it is expensive to have installed, however keep in mind the more you wash, rub and clean the faster it (ceramic coating) will break down. That is why I went the 3M route as my primary protection as it is warrantied for 10 years.

The problem with bug cleaner is it will remove any sealant or wax you have it is also hard on ceramic coatings.

Also note that if you dry your vehicle with towels that is where all many of the fine scratches comes from. Invest in a leaf blower then after washing do not towel dry, blow dry it is quick and easy with NO water spots that towels often leave behind. Finally if you have to towel dry make sure your towels are not washed with fabric softener as that will leave a residue on your car as fabric softener does not completely rinse out of the towels, microfiber or not.

Sponsored

TylerR

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
NEVER use wax then Sealant, Wax is ALWAYS last step if a sealant is used. Using a wax before sealant will prevent the sealant from penatrating the pors, wax only has a couple months whereas a synthetic sealer up to a year, you do not want to apply the shortest life product (wax) first

I just did the full 3M paint protection film wrap, now I just pull out the detailer spray and wipe the bugs off without the risk of harming the paint. I also self applied ceramic coating to the 3M wrap, windows and wheels everything wipes off easy now. While ceramic is good it is expensive to have installed, however keep in mind the more you wash, rub and clean the faster it (ceramic coating) will break down. That is why I went the 3M route as my primary protection as it is warrantied for 10 years.

The problem with bug cleaner is it will remove any sealant or wax you have it is also hard on ceramic coatings
Wow I didn't know that. That makes a lot of sense. I'll start doing the sealant before wax or maybe find a better last step product. I always thought you needed to fill in the pors then seal. I'm about to be out of liquid glass and seeing as they're no longer in business I'll need a new brand. What kind of stuff do you like to use?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Wow I didn't know that. That makes a lot of sense. I'll start doing the sealant before wax or maybe find a better last step product. I always thought you needed to fill in the pors then seal. I'm about to be out of liquid glass and seeing as they're no longer in business I'll need a new brand. What kind of stuff do you like to use?
Wax is organic so it breakes does fast usually 2-3 months and it is gone wheres the sealants are synthetic with survive up to 1 year. I personnally stop using organic waxes several years ago and now use sealers as they apply real easy I can do the entire wrangler in less than 1 hour. On both my Wrangler and tesla I have PPF wrapped the Wrangler the while thing the Tesla partial on the front, however I have Ceramic on both as well (tesla was professional installed and the wrangler I self installed) so with that said I still use a sealer to protect the protection, I keep it simple they are all very similar I use MeGuires synthetic sealer it is fast easy and affordable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SQZRM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Instead of wax I use a wet or waterless wash wax, This is what I clean the bugs with (spray it on let set a couple minutes wipe off. Note I would not use this unless I had a good sealer base, Ceramic Coating or Paint Protection film

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X04JRMU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

V8260Z

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
Use dryer sheets to remove love bugs. Wet them first in soapy water. Do small areas and wash off the fabric softener before it dries.
Sponsored