Break in period

Zayn2019

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
What’s the break in period for a Rubicon? I just hit 1600 on my 2021 rubicon and not sure when I can change the oil? I’m getting mixed answers
Sponsored

shane h.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR (mine), '21 Hellayella JLUR (hers)
P/U my wife's 2021 JLUR end of May. 3.6L e-torque. Changed the oil at 1K miles. Sits at just under 4k miles now. Taking it to Silverton next week. Will probably change again right before the 2k mile round trip. It's overkill, but I'm just that kind of guy.

Deleted member 53226

What’s the break in period for a Rubicon? I just hit 1600 on my 2021 rubicon and not sure when I can change the oil? I’m getting mixed answers
Your Jeep is now broken in about 3 times over. Change the oil now if you want, but it is not necessary really until 5 or 6K miles (I don't trust the 8-10K mile thing). I changed mine at 2000 miles just because I felt better about getting rid of the initial oil from the break in mileage.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Your Jeep is now broken in about 3 times over. Change the oil now if you want, but it is not necessary really until 5 or 6K miles (I don't trust the 8-10K mile thing). I changed mine at 2000 miles just because I felt better about getting rid of the initial oil from the break in mileage.
Yea, I personally like to have the first oil change after a couple/few hundred miles.

If there's an issue, the sooner its found out the better.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I've wondered about that too, but not from an oil change perspective...

My dealer told me to change the oil at 3k, even though Jeep recommends something more than that (6k?). Since there was some hoopla many years ago about using synthetics too early in engines, I'm going to wait until 3k to change mine.

Sponsored

mini_cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
You will always get different answers from everyone based on their opinions/past experiences.

If you can, follow the manufacturers break in procedure.

Changing to synthetic too soon isn’t “bad” but it does slow down the break in time for an engine. Conventional oil will help an engine break in. You want your piston rings and parts to “wear” in to how it is meant to be - you need heat cycles/friction for this.

The main part of a break in procedure is more so watching your speed and varying your RPMs. Oil is only a part of it.

OP
OP
Zayn2019

Zayn2019

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
You will always get different answers from everyone based on their opinions/past experiences.

Changing to synthetic too soon isn’t “bad” but it does slow down the break in time for an engine. Conventional oil will help an engine break in. You want your piston rings and parts to “wear” in to how it is meant to be - you need heat cycles/friction for this.

The main part of a break in procedure is more so watching your speed and varying your RPMs. Oil is only a part of it.

That was my primary concern about the break in period since I am trying to keep my RPMS below 4000. So how long Should I wait until I can fully rev and drive without watching my RPMs?

Cjanak21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
That was my primary concern about the break in period since I am trying to keep my RPMS below 4000. So how long Should I wait until I can fully rev and drive without watching my RPMs?
I’ve heard around 250-500 miles till full go

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
… on a motorcycle, that spins in the 10-12k rpms range without breaking a sweat, after first 600 miles. And youre supposed run’m like you plan to in the future; hard.

for an engine like the 3.6L, id say between 2-3k before first oil drop would be good id driven normally/reasonably with an occasional sprint here and there (after your first 200-300 miles), after its been warmed up nicely and then thereafter cooled off with a nice easy lap of 5-10 miles. I wouldnt tow much before 3k.

its a machine, the material science is well understood. Youve got a warranty, youll be fine.

ahhh and a quick search of this For-am validates my presumptions:

Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After
the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80
or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided."”

Taa-da!!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Opinions on this board vary greatly on this subject.

your owners manual describes the break in procedure specifically And your oil change frequency specifically. Personally, I just follow that. Anything that deviates from the owner’s manual is owner preference.

Sponsored

Caleb75

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
I dumped my factory fill at 1500. Got the the initial break in metals out and put in a new filter. I have done that with every new vehicle I have owned. My oil analysis always come back great. I also dumped my factory fill differential fluids at 17k. The front differential fluid was in good shape. However, the rear was pretty dark. I run all Amsoil fluids. Signature Series in the engine and Severe Gear in the differentials. I run either an Amsoil or Fram Ultra oil filter.
The most important thing is to run a good oil, have a good filter and change when needed or required. I have a 2020 JLU with 3.6.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I will quote the 2020 user manual...
'A long break-in period is not required. Drive moderately the first 300 miles. After the first 60 miles, speeds up to 55 are desirable. Brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions.'
There is no mention of specific mileage. I did my first one at 2k. All the oil analysis I've seen says 5k is early and 10k is too late. Of course, this depends on driving conditions. I prefer 5k personally. I believe the onboard computer will tell you when, but I always do it early.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
All 0w20 oils are synthetic FWIW including the factory fill.

Judy33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ
… on a motorcycle, that spins in the 10-12k rpms range without breaking a sweat, after first 600 miles. And youre supposed run’m like you plan to in the future; hard.

for an engine like the 3.6L, id say between 2-3k before first oil drop would be good id driven normally/reasonably with an occasional sprint here and there (after your first 200-300 miles), after its been warmed up nicely and then thereafter cooled off with a nice easy lap of 5-10 miles. I wouldnt tow much before 3k.

its a machine, the material science is well understood. Youve got a warranty, youll be fine.

ahhh and a quick search of this For-am validates my presumptions:

Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After
the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80
or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided."”

Taa-da!!
What does this actually mean? Drive under 50 mph for the first 60 miles? Then up to 55mph until 300 miles? I want to do it right but I find the manual a bit confusing. Thx for any advice!

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
What does this actually mean? Drive under 50 mph for the first 60 miles? Then up to 55mph until 300 miles? I want to do it right but I find the manual a bit confusing. Thx for any advice!
It means what it says… before 300 mi, drive it like a normal person. La-di-da.
Before 60 mi, drive it around town, grocery getting, etc.
After 60 mi, highway drive it and pass folks here and there (ie step on it).
When you hit 300 miles, you’re done, drive it however you want.

if you drive it like a normal person would, youll be fine provided you dont tow and you dont take a long ass trip.
Sponsored