mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hi!

I've a 2020 JLUR. It's not the first Jeep I've driven, but it's the first Wrangler I've owned. I wanted to ask about this here before making an appointment. I noticed that while coming to a stop, if I'm applying even pressure, the brakes seem to "grab" as I slow down as If I've suddenly applied a bit more power to the pedal. It's not an auto downshift.

Is this a normal thing for Wranglers, or should I have it checked? I've got just under 1500 miles on it.
Sponsored

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I would like to know more about the JL system too. I have had YJs and TJ but my first JL. When I hit the brakes at speed they seem to grab until I hit the gas again. My other Jeeps did not do this. For that matter my TJ has trouble trying to grab even when stomping on the pedal. Kind of old school anti-lock!

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Could it be the auto transmission rolling through the gears and engine braking?

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Hi!

I've a 2020 JLUR. It's not the first Jeep I've driven, but it's the first Wrangler I've owned. I wanted to ask about this here before making an appointment. I noticed that while coming to a stop, if I'm applying even pressure, the brakes seem to "grab" as I slow down as If I've suddenly applied a bit more power to the pedal. It's not an auto downshift.

Is this a normal thing for Wranglers, or should I have it checked? I've got just under 1500 miles on it.
Mine does the same thing. I believe it "interprets" the urgency of the stop and "assists" the brakes. Mostly happens when I am stopping on a downhill slope.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Sounds like it could be the caliper guide pins aren't lubed properly. This will cause uneven brake pad wear and could affect the rotors as well. Many youtube videos will show you how.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mcjeff

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It actually might be engine braking. it doesnā€™t seem to happen if I shift into N first, but it doesnā€™t feel right. Engine breaking is fine, this feels like itā€™s doing it aggressively dropping into 2nd.

Iā€˜ll mention it the next time Iā€™m at the dealer.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It actually might be engine braking. it doesnā€™t seem to happen if I shift into N first, but it doesnā€™t feel right. Engine breaking is fine, this feels like itā€™s doing it aggressively dropping into 2nd.

Iā€˜ll mention it the next time Iā€™m at the dealer.
It is, it will go away. Just drive.

OP
OP
mcjeff

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Older thread but figured I'd keep it updated. Was at the dealer today and asked about it since it's still noticeable, and kind of annoying. They mentioned that I'm far from the first that has brought it up and there's some software update expected in the not-so-distant future to improve downshifting.

Not sure if it's smoke blowing or not, but....

Note that it's not what I would consider standard engine breaking. It feels almost like an AT with crappy or low fluid when it does this. A quick "catch."

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Older thread but figured I'd keep it updated. Was at the dealer today and asked about it since it's still noticeable, and kind of annoying. They mentioned that I'm far from the first that has brought it up and there's some software update expected in the not-so-distant future to improve downshifting.

Not sure if it's smoke blowing or not, but....

Note that it's not what I would consider standard engine breaking. It feels almost like an AT with crappy or low fluid when it does this. A quick "catch."
Hey, Jeff. If you'd like to discuss further with our team, send a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

VikingJL

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Anyone have any updates on this problem? My 2020 JLU does the same thing and it's a bit nerve racking.

OP
OP
mcjeff

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Nothing else yet. Itā€™s ā€œmechanically soundā€ and nothing is wrong, update ā€œin the worksā€ per my dealer.

Iā€™ve taken to shifting to N or using manual shifting while stopping until it heats up, especially in the snow and ice.

VikingJL

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Thanks. I'm taking the Jeep soon for service. I will report back what they say about it.

VikingJL

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Just got my Jeep out of the shop. They said they had to clean off some brake dust but other than that the brakes looked fine. Didn't notice any grab on the way back home. Hopefully it was the brake dust causing the problem.
Sponsored