Sponsored

Bike Rack Options??

JeepAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon Recon
Thanks!!
So with stock setup it has to stay down/horizontal (bike carrying position) even when empty?

You are not able to fold Up and out of the way?
Sponsored

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
1up has a new model bike rack on their website. I checked it out on YouTube and it looks pretty good. I already have 2 of the older style so I am not in the market for one right now especially because the price is creeping up higher and higher :(

jigamanz

First Name
Jeegs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Jeep JLUR, 14' Mazda 3 Sport GT, 09' Acura RDX
Just bought the Hollywood Racks SR1 Spare Tire Bike Carrier. Can't say enough about how well the build quality is. I also love that they sell all the spare parts online so you can grab bolts for bigger tires and what not.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Just bought the Hollywood Racks SR1 Spare Tire Bike Carrier. Can't say enough about how well the build quality is. I also love that they sell all the spare parts online so you can grab bolts for bigger tires and what not.
Once you use a bike carrier that cradles the wheels, you will never want to use the old hang-by-the-frame type ever again.

Last edited:

jigamanz

First Name
Jeegs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Jeep JLUR, 14' Mazda 3 Sport GT, 09' Acura RDX
Once you use a bike carrier that cradles the wheels, you will never want to use the old hang by-the-frame type ever again.
Fair enough, I used to have a nice giant mountain bike,, but I ended up selling it for almost what I paid 2 years down the road. Had a thule hitch rack (nothing fancy, T2 Classic) that was great, but a pain in the ass sometimes. It was heavy, bulky, and an extra step when I needed to open the trunk of my acura. And, if the bike was on, forget it, your going through the back seat lol.

Now I have two road bikes, specialized rolls, and the fit perfect on the Hollywood rack. I know people are concerned with scratching a bike frame, but these are not insanely expensive and the are bikes! lol. They take more abuse while riding them.

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Thanks!!
So with stock setup it has to stay down/horizontal (bike carrying position) even when empty?

You are not able to fold Up and out of the way?
If you don’t put it all the way in, you can fold it up to the first stop. That’s what she said, anyway.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Fair enough, I used to have a nice giant mountain bike,, but I ended up selling it for almost what I paid 2 years down the road. Had a thule hitch rack (nothing fancy, T2 Classic) that was great, but a pain in the ass sometimes. It was heavy, bulky, and an extra step when I needed to open the trunk of my acura. And, if the bike was on, forget it, your going through the back seat lol.

Now I have two road bikes, specialized rolls, and the fit perfect on the Hollywood rack. I know people are concerned with scratching a bike
frame, but these are not insanely expensive and the are bikes! lol. They take more abuse while riding them.
Unless they are carbon frames. I’ve been told by several bike experts NEVER to hang a carbon frame bike on a rack. Scratching is not a concern but a carbon frame is vulnerable to point of contact damage....which is the big downside to a carbon frame. IMHO a cradle rack is also much easier to secure and use. I would never go back even if using an aluminum frame bike.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Another option for multiple uses - I purchased a harbor freight folding hitch carrier rated 750lbs $80. Then added a Lund 3 bike carrier bracket $15

I use the hitch carrier often for everything but also and bring either our electric (60lbs each) or human powered bikes anywhere.

I don't have my own pics but here's one off the internet to show this option:

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike Rack Options?? b1368018c1b51c093b2365ea485fab69

Reactions: aml

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
Another vote for the KĂĽat Pivot v2. I love my KĂĽat rack, but it was useless on the Wrangler. You can't even open the tailgate with bikes off and the rack folded down. I tried a 4" drop, but it still didn't clear. The pivot totally solves this problem!

Beware, they are available in either driver's or passenger's side pivot direction.

My passenger's side unit had been COVID backordered for 3 months, but finally a batch of driver's side units became available on Amazon, so I pounced. I actually think I like it better because the tailgate and bikes are totally separated when open, making everything that much cleaner and easier to access. The only downside I can think of is if you need to pull over in an emergency and access the rear, in which case your bikes could be out in traffic if you pull to the right shoulder. Otherwise, this is a solid win.

Pros:
- Means you can carry bikes on your Wrangler *and* have access to the rear.
- Extremely well made.
- Will accept any 2" receiver bike carrier.
- Has 90-deg positive detent, and then also opens to 120-deg but without detent
- Extremely simple setup -- super solid build and brilliant design.
- Doesn't foul on the factory recovery hook.
- Doesn't look dumb or clunky (my opinion, obviously).

Cons:
- Expensive
- Heavy. Like, really heavy.
- KĂĽat logo upside down on my driver's side unit. WTF KĂĽat?

qkRTUmP.jpg

UoMM9EW.jpg

0ax3LCR.jpg

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Another vote for the KĂĽat Pivot v2. I love my KĂĽat rack, but it was useless on the Wrangler. You can't even open the tailgate with bikes off and the rack folded down. I tried a 4" drop, but it still didn't clear. The pivot totally solves this problem!

Beware, they are available in either driver's or passenger's side pivot direction.

My passenger's side unit had been COVID backordered for 3 months, but finally a batch of driver's side units became available on Amazon, so I pounced. I actually think I like it better because the tailgate and bikes are totally separated when open, making everything that much cleaner and easier to access. The only downside I can think of is if you need to pull over in an emergency and access the rear, in which case your bikes could be out in traffic if you pull to the right shoulder. Otherwise, this is a solid win.

Pros:
- Extremely well made.

Cons:
- Expensive
Nice! I've had my eye out for a passenger side Pivot v2 for awhile now but haven't seen any in stock. I've been told arrival in mid-Sept.. I have a v1 that I'll probably sell since I use it all of the time and like all of the improvements. If you think the v2 is heavy, the v1 is 8.5lbs heavier!

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase

Pros:
- Extremely well made.

Cons:
- Expensive

qkRTUmP.jpg

UoMM9EW.jpg

0ax3LCR.jpg
Love this product! Do you know of any information on using this pivot adapter with a hitch carrier rather than a bike rack? For one thing, I know the max capacity is reduced to 250lbs.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Love this product! Do you know of any information on using this pivot adapter with a hitch carrier rather than a bike rack? For one thing, I know the max capacity is reduced to 250lbs.
I have used mine with a hitch carrier a few times. What would you like to know?

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I have used mine with a hitch carrier a few times. What would you like to know?
Thanks! Really, just have you used it up to the 250lbs max weight spec? My hitch carrier weight spec is 750lbs max which I never get close to. I carry bikes, ebikes and Misc stuff for excursions.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Thanks! Really, just have you used it up to the 250lbs max weight spec? My hitch carrier weight spec is 750lbs max which I never get close to. I carry bikes, ebikes and Misc stuff for excursions.
I have not. I've carried two mountain bikes on my platform bike carrier so that was ~35lb/bike + 39lb rack = 109lb. With the cargo rack I just had two totes on there maybe 50lb each.

Keep in mind, that even though your hitch carrier is rated at 750lb, the actual hitch itself is only rated at 350lb I believe. I haven't done the math yet to see how that is affected by pushing the weight further out with an extension (the Pivot moves the hitch out 12 3/16").

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I have not. I've carried two mountain bikes on my platform bike carrier so that was ~35lb/bike + 39lb rack = 109lb. With the cargo rack I just had two totes on there maybe 50lb each.

Keep in mind, that even though your hitch carrier is rated at 750lb, the actual hitch itself is only rated at 350lb I believe. I haven't done the math yet to see how that is affected by pushing the weight further out with an extension (the Pivot moves the hitch out 12 3/16").
Great input! Thanks.

The ebikes are double the weight of regular bikes. However, keeping under the limits should not be a problem.
Sponsored