Bike Rack Options??

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
I’ve updated my setup with quick fist fasteners. They lock the bike up high so it does not interfere with the escape angle of the Jeep. The Jeep remains off-road capable even while carrying a mountain bike.
Bumper and tire carrier by LoD. LoD also custom fabricated the bike carrier arms.
mt5UlzZ9-wumXxBkPsZEFNpuy_WVMM1iDQues_mDGguhfkiZie-8f7jb3PTq4qjgABOQdYx-vBMT6SLOB-A=w703-h937-no.jpg

DXvnpX_EiN3EOscKN7h02TEzk9veQ4Bd9A5YUq5Gk5Vv0vWDjlcc4pLu1lvc_t95EtVJ3K7vSx7UCkp_kyw=w703-h937-no.jpg

mCAsKcHgkQt3Wa6sgxzSX3wpR0joRlDNCQwLSD3wwZzgpbQTunwiym-ni6NjQEwsCfd1djjcRAZJ572q6AA=w703-h937-no.jpg

4XPfm4sIK-mfbIniyDX7ZJL0FgIsoumcwz6i5JK_QYaWMD9Qh9OCNjaG_l1ULtmllCs-CqnbYsZAykLPMA=w1250-h937-no.jpg

zEosewDPdfT9vvVO65PgE0_U_oQreswEKko-P2fY1Cz66jQzvmJgITmpc90MaQIUB3psGCizXNRa0O3rnw=w1250-h937-no.jpg

[/QUOTE
LoD also custom fabricated the bike carrier arms.
LoD also custom fabricated the bike carrier arms.
How did you get them to fabricate these arms? I replaced my bumper to LOD primarily to use this bike carrier and later realized it’s not for sale... Thanks.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
How did you get them to fabricate these arms? I replaced my bumper to LOD primarily to use this bike carrier and later realized it’s not for sale... Thanks.
I called them and I asked nicely :)

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
I called them and I asked nicely :)
I just did, the customer support lady said no more (might not have the drawings), and after insisiting a bit more, she said they were not entirely happy with how the weight is being distributed over the tire. Or something like that. Too bad, I really like the setup.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just did, the customer support lady said no more (might not have the drawings), and after insisiting a bit more, she said they were not entirely happy with how the weight is being distributed over the tire. Or something like that. Too bad, I really like the setup.
If you look at my pics, you can see that I carry one bike only. I figured I could do that by "repurposing" the arms of their trail rack (click here). So I asked them whether they can sell me the trail rack arms only, and leave off the attachment points for the rack. I then looked for the bike attachment rubber clamps from a different source. So, if one bike is all you need that may be the way to go.

Sponsored

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
If you look at my pics, you can see that I carry one bike only. I figured I could do that by "repurposing" the arms of their trail rack (click here). So I asked them whether they can sell me the trail rack arms only, and leave off the attachment points for the rack. I then looked for the bike attachment rubber clamps from a different source. So, if one bike is all you need that may be the way to go.
Thanks man, will look into this.

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
Here is my tire mounted version. Works fine for my bike, gets me out and back for a ride quickly, and fits into the garage as is.

I would not take the Rubi off-road with the bike mounted, but I think pavement driving does not induce too much stress on the spare mount.

5A8517B6-55EB-4A57-AF65-A0F7E048942B.jpeg

9819023A-A62C-41F1-B389-41DF97796C88.jpeg

7DF406E3-F926-4A8A-94C4-E9450E745975.jpeg
Thanks for the info! I had the hollywood rack on my TJ, but when I looked at how close the 3rd brake light is to the tire on my Willys, I didn't think I would be able to get the rack bracket in between the tire and the light bracket. But I loosened the lug nuts holding the spare, slid the rack bracket between the light bracket and the tire and then tightened up the 3 spare lug nuts. It seems to be fine, but the 3rd brake light bracket has been pushed back (toward the jeep) a bit. I think you or someone else mentioned that they loosened the 3rd brake light bracket. Did you retighten the light bracket after you slid the bike rack bracket between the tire and the light bracket?
The bike rack should work fine this way, I just am not too happy with the 3rd brake light bracket being pushed back like it is.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info! I had the hollywood rack on my TJ, but when I looked at how close the 3rd brake light is to the tire on my Willys, I didn't think I would be able to get the rack bracket in between the tire and the light bracket. But I loosened the lug nuts holding the spare, slid the rack bracket between the light bracket and the tire and then tightened up the 3 spare lug nuts. It seems to be fine, but the 3rd brake light bracket has been pushed back (toward the jeep) a bit. I think you or someone else mentioned that they loosened the 3rd brake light bracket. Did you retighten the light bracket after you slid the bike rack bracket between the tire and the light bracket?
The bike rack should work fine this way, I just am not too happy with the 3rd brake light bracket being pushed back like it is.
Yes I did. However, eventually I took the third break light off altogether. Here in Colorado it is not required. That is, if it is installed it must work, but there is no requirement that it be installed.

Lacrimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys 2 dr
For anyone interested in tailgate reinforcement + the Hollywood bike rack and are concerned about the third brake light, I solved this by installing the Rusty's Tire Carrier. It repositions the third brake light to behind the wheel of the spare, allowing the Hollywood rack to fit over the spare without being obstructed.

Straps may be difficult to see against all the black, but I did use them. I strapped through the spokes of the wheel, and around the wheel.
upload_2020-5-6_10-44-38.png
There are two rubber looking pieces at the bottom of this rack. They look like pipe insulation that fit around the metal bar of the rack to protect it from bumping against the wheel. My Hollywood rack didn't come with these. Are these pieces that you added yourself?

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For anyone interested in tailgate reinforcement + the Hollywood bike rack and are concerned about the third brake light, I solved this by installing the Rusty's Tire Carrier. It repositions the third brake light to behind the wheel of the spare, allowing the Hollywood rack to fit over the spare without being obstructed.

There are two rubber looking pieces at the bottom of this rack. They look like pipe insulation that fit around the metal bar of the rack to protect it from bumping against the wheel. My Hollywood rack didn't come with these. Are these pieces that you added yourself?
Yes indeed.

Sponsored

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I don’t expect many people will do this but I was happy it fit. I needed to help someone today with their lawn. I didn’t feel like pulling the bike rack off and putting the trailer on to transport my mower.
Thought I would give it a try and it is almost a perfect fit. I know 1up sells another cargo tray so I was pretty confident it wouldn’t be an issue. The rear camera came in use checking on the load.

18422873-85D7-4286-B1CC-A5F9AE9D66E6.jpeg
I’m very interested in this set up as we only need 3... got a link?

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
Is anyone running a 1UP with a 37in mounted on the rear tailgate? If so, which hitch extender are you using to accommodate it? (My specific setup: Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement w/ Mopar Oversize Spare carrier with a 37in KO2)

I'm new to dealing with hitches and want to make sure I am picking up the right thing with minimal rattle/play.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
After much research and thought, I have pulled the trigger on the ISI 2 bike carrier. 1UP USA was in the running up to the very end.

This is a fantastic thread. Excellent input from everyone.

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I finally bit the bullet and got 1-Ups for the roof. Mounted it with quick release bike saddle cam action bolts - Worked really well.

Here are the bolts with a strut nut that fits in the Rhino Rack pioneer platform.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bike Rack Options?? IMG_4301

Here is the bottom of the 1-Up roof rack.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bike Rack Options?? IMG_4302

Mounted on the platform.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bike Rack Options?? IMG_4303

And the top view of three racks mounted.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bike Rack Options?? IMG_4305
Sponsored