Bike Rack Options??

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
Yep, I believe we're left with the JL Hitch Mounted Bike Rack option... at this point Kuat or 1Up USA
Sponsored

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
A626DD4D-E838-4608-A7CC-A647700401B6.jpeg
I used the extension for a 250 mile round trip yesterday
There was a little bounce if you hit a big bump but otherwise worked great
I’m going to try the hammer and vise technique until kuat remedy’s the situation
Looks like it adds another car length! That's awesome. And good to know the extension didn't mess with anything. Our farthest riding spots are about 400 miles and 250 is more than enough to call it good for me.

Bones

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Very pleased with the 1Up Rack I got for my JLUS. Of note....

- Without a hitch extender this still fit my road bike with just my pedal (speedplay) fitting between the space in the rims. I did purchase a hitch extender (shown) and it allows the the gears to be spun while on the rack (convenient for quick maintenance work before a ride.).

- When the rack is folded down you can open the back hatch enough to access but cannot completely open the hatch due to tire interference.

- This rack is solid but way lighter than I thought. A clean setup all around.

IMG_1743.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG
IMG_7601.JPG
IMG_3158.JPG
IMG_9883.JPG
IMG_7725.JPG
IMG_7789.jpg
IMG_7790.jpg
IMG_7791.jpg
IMG_7793.jpg

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
Here is my tire mounted version. Works fine for my bike, gets me out and back for a ride quickly, and fits into the garage as is.

I would not take the Rubi off-road with the bike mounted, but I think pavement driving does not induce too much stress on the spare mount.

5A8517B6-55EB-4A57-AF65-A0F7E048942B.jpeg

9819023A-A62C-41F1-B389-41DF97796C88.jpeg

7DF406E3-F926-4A8A-94C4-E9450E745975.jpeg

Sponsored

arch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S Sting Gray, 1950 Red GMC pickup
Oh, and here is the rear view.

32C2A4D4-8B07-412C-B61F-DE9CA01B415D.jpeg
thank you very much, i am wanting to go with a spare mounted version and did not think any would fit due to the clearance between the tire and the 3rd tail light as well as the clearance between the windshield wiper and the 3rd tail light. I bet this is the only one that would work b/c of how narrow it's bar is that goes behind the tire at the top, would you agree? amazon has the allen spare tire rack specifically mentioning it is not compatible with the JL and I am guessing that is because the way it connects to the tire at the top the opening would not be wide enough to straddle the 3rd tail light bracket. I am waiting on a sting gray order, so don't have mine yet to really check things out.

you wouldn't happen to have the active safety group option, would you? i was wondering how annoying the beeping was when you had a bike attached on the back.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
thank you very much, i am wanting to go with a spare mounted version and did not think any would fit due to the clearance between the tire and the 3rd tail light as well as the clearance between the windshield wiper and the 3rd tail light. I bet this is the only one that would work b/c of how narrow it's bar is that goes behind the tire at the top, would you agree? amazon has the allen spare tire rack specifically mentioning it is not compatible with the JL and I am guessing that is because the way it connects to the tire at the top the opening would not be wide enough to straddle the 3rd tail light bracket. I am waiting on a sting gray order, so don't have mine yet to really check things out.

you wouldn't happen to have the active safety group option, would you? i was wondering how annoying the beeping was when you had a bike attached on the back.
If the active safety group is included with the blind spot monitoring then no, I opted against it.
I loosened the mount of the 3rd brake light, then tightened it again after installing the bike rack. They touch each other, though, but not in a way that would bend or force-back the brake light mount.
Here is Colorado the 3rd light is not a requirement and I may decide to take it off altogether.

deniska

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
For those considering Kuat Pivot... Yakima just came out with a very similar swing away device. I got a chance to see it at the Sea Otter Classic and think it is superior to the Kuat. Just better. I’d get that if I were buying now.

deniska

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
The more important question...Did you sign up to win the All-City Space Horse?
Sadly, I did not. I was too focused on making sure my kid made his races and practices. That and the bratwurst. ‘Cause camping :)

Sponsored

A.B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
totalled 2007 JKU Sahara
Sadly, I did not. I was too focused on making sure my kid made his races and practices. That and the bratwurst. ‘Cause camping :)
:like:

I ride a bit and follow a ton of that stuff. I'm too far away to make it to SeaOtter, but looks fun.

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Very pleased with the 1Up Rack I got for my JLUS. Of note....

- Without a hitch extender this still fit my road bike with just my pedal (speedplay) fitting between the space in the rims. I did purchase a hitch extender (shown) and it allows the the gears to be spun while on the rack (convenient for quick maintenance work before a ride.).

- When the rack is folded down you can open the back hatch enough to access but cannot completely open the hatch due to tire interference.

- This rack is solid but way lighter than I thought. A clean setup all around.

IMG_1743.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG
IMG_7601.JPG
IMG_3158.JPG
IMG_9883.JPG
IMG_7725.JPG
IMG_7789.jpg
IMG_7790.jpg
IMG_7791.jpg
IMG_7793.jpg
Just step on the rack and put a tiny bit of weight on it. The tire will clear. Brand new it rubbed my spare. A week or so later it clears without any issue.

Cyclone88

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2012 JK Sport, 2013 Mini Countryman
Vehicle Showcase
Bit of a PSA for everyone - I picked up a Kuat swing away hitch so I could use my choice of bike rack. The clamp that hold the top arm from swinging out does not clear the spare tire. It's maybe 2" too high to work as-is, so I'll either need to return it or get a drop hitch adapter to lower the swing arm enough to clamp completely. Bit of a drag, really, and I'm not sure I want to deal with the multiple adapters (drop hitch -> swing arm -> bike rack), but I'll give it a shot and see how it holds up. Just FYI for anyone else considering the Kuat swing out adapter.

The red handle in the image below is what won't clear the spare, in case my description wasn't clear.

DSC0680606806-1.jpg

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone used a Yakima Dr Tray? Does it clear the spare OK by itself or does it need an extender? I'm considering that or the Kuat NV 2.0. Just waiting for another coupon from REI.