Bike Rack Options??

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Just in case anyone else is looking at the Yakima Single Speed hitch Mount here’s some pics. I tried to use it without an extension, but the pedals hit on the tire. I have flat pedals, so you may get it to work if you run clipless. I ended up using a 7” extension and it fits perfect.

My preferred mouting is inside the Jeep via a 2x6 and fork mount so I can secure the bike when I know I’ll be running errands and such before or after riding. When I know I’m heading directly to the trailhead and back I use the hitch mount as it’s much faster loading and unloading. Also, despite some reviews online this things doesn’t sway or wobble more than any other hitch rack.

B4E9456B-891E-40D8-B361-5CC80A0DEEE6.jpeg

247AF93F-C1E6-4121-803C-286A743DBBE4.jpeg

B00D687F-6913-4E03-9ED1-E599BF849FA2.jpeg

564461F3-B137-427C-8E2F-2C1EED6A0918.jpeg

2C791F3D-ED06-4075-B30C-FF0F5DC230E5.jpeg
Sponsored

Wrangled

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to try the combination of a Yakima Backswing and Dr. Tray rack. The Backswing arrived today and the Dr. Tray should arrive early next week. I'm hoping I won't need a hitch extender. Based on other posts in this thread I don't believe I will but I'll report back when I have everything installed to let y'all know.

Kelowna

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
@Kelowna - that looks great. Any idea if it will fit with the hard top on due to bar width?
Bike fits no different with the hardtop on. I like having my bike always with me to ride whenever I have an hour of spare time. So being able to safely lock it in the cabin area is important.

Cost for parts were $25 (fork mount), $3.60 for the 2x4, and the spray paint I had kicking around the garage.

It takes me less than 2 minutes to put the bike in or out.

Cheers,
Kelowna

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Picked up our new ride yesterday. The 1up rack fits great with the extender they sell. But I think if I put bigger tires on they won’t clear the rack in the down position. Anyway I prefer the black version they sell. The quality is great! Expensive but no plastic and made in the USA!

3920C763-FBD5-4C5B-AC26-C9A4DC3274B0.jpeg

D691D7B6-3C9B-43F6-8158-7D06414AF184.jpeg

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
Picked up our new ride yesterday. The 1up rack fits great with the extender they sell. But I think if I put bigger tires on they won’t clear the rack in the down position. Anyway I prefer the black version they sell. The quality is great! Expensive but no plastic and made in the USA!

Can you open the tailgate with that extension? I've currently got a 4" drop extension and would prefer a non-drop version as long as I can easily get in the back.

Sponsored

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Can you open the tailgate with that extension? I've currently got a 4" drop extension and would prefer a non-drop version as long as I can easily get in the back.
You can but it was tight. The rear tire squeaked by. That was why I made the comment about the tire size. I think anything larger than the Rubicon’s stock 33” tire isn’t going to work if you want to open the rear tailgate. I probably won’t be upgrading tires anytime soon, so I’m good at least for a little while.

On a side note, the extender that 1up sells is made by Acme products. Not sure if it is cheaper to buy it elsewhere but I really like how solid it tightens up with no rattling or movement. I am planning on leaving the extension on to tow my little trailer.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
You can but it was tight. The rear tire squeaked by. That was why I made the comment about the tire size. I think anything larger than the Rubicon’s stock 33” tire isn’t going to work if you want to open the rear tailgate. I probably won’t be upgrading tires anytime soon, so I’m good at least for a little while.

On a side note, the extender that 1up sells is made by Acme products. Not sure if it is cheaper to buy it elsewhere but I really like how solid it tightens up with no rattling or movement. I am planning on leaving the extension on to tow my little trailer.

So, I received my 1up over the weekend and used it with the 4" drop receiver and it works great, but pushes the rack further than I'd prefer from the vehicle and sits much lower than needed. So, I tried it today without the drop receiver. The rack folds up about 1 1/2" from the spare and sits nicely when in use. The bummer is the spare hits the rack by about 1/4" when opening the tailgate... I can force the tire over it, but that's obviously not a great option for the long run. I decided I don't want to get a 2" drop receiver because that's just another patch and it will push the rack further out again. So, thinking of other options I decided to get a tire relocation bracket and move the spare up an inch instead. It arrives on Thursday and should take care of everything. And, if i ever get larger tires, im already set to go.

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
So, I received my 1up over the weekend and used it with the 4" drop receiver and it works great, but pushes the rack further than I'd prefer from the vehicle and sits much lower than needed. So, I tried it today without the drop receiver. The rack folds up about 1 1/2" from the spare and sits nicely when in use. The bummer is the spare hits the rack by about 1/4" when opening the tailgate... I can force the tire over it, but that's obviously not a great option for the long run. I decided I don't want to get a 2" drop receiver because that's just another patch and it will push the rack further out again. So, thinking of other options I decided to get a tire relocation bracket and move the spare up an inch instead. It arrives on Thursday and should take care of everything. And, if i ever get larger tires, im already set to go.
That’s a good idea. I should probably do the same and get the hinge upgrade too. I wish it wasn’t so dog gone expensive...there are a few other things I want to get first. Let me know how the tire relocator works out.

Wrangled

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I got the Yakima Backswing and Dr. Tray installed today. This is a nearly perfect solution if you want an easy way to gain full access to your rear gate without removing bikes.

PROS
  • high-quality product,
  • SKS "same key system",
  • built-in locks for the hitch, the rack and the bikes,
  • modular system so you can add a third bike if you want,
  • 4-way sliding trays and tons of room between bikes
  • full 90° swing away from your gate,
  • the lever is not obstructed by the spare tire,
  • rack folds up and out of the way,
  • dead simple operation, the release handle is in the ideal place

CONS
  • very expensive
  • the lock cables could be a tad longer - they scuffed my painted rims because they were tight to reach the pin

Overall I'm very happy with this solution. I had to have a swing-away solution so I could access the back of the Jeep without fuss. This was really expensive ( $299 for the Backswing and I found the Dr. Tray for $505 on Amazon ( yes newer model ) ) so that was not the happiest part, but I feel the quality is high and the ability to synch all the keys/locks is a big plus for me.

Ask if you have questions.

[GALLERY=]
%%zlCYSWQ9WEsWu%ogwFlg.jpg
WH9m5FypSSy6k2fSaYaVmA.jpg
NnTVSGwCRIiWC7pzbXZe8Q.jpg
WZq4mFLmQki0COVPcmNi1w.jpg
5AmHIdnLRCqc8nVOOj048g.jpg
R89ToXDJQACjIKe0nYQlTQ.jpg
so0Um2J1Qz+NU7d4E3jrXw.jpg
ShqC8BhkRT2TmldnINnc1w.jpg
6n%97gBXR2Obec4KVQiPiw.jpg
BoCiR5X4Rg+yIvW60jkkfg.jpg
JXNDq+%lSbCKi4UNTMhEqw.jpg
aukzWV%BTuamd27qLw1thQ.jpg
7V5WbUgLTwWNFuNSA9trTg.jpg
pih7JZWRRGyoT3TlBwqX5Q.jpg
%gt5Fp%zT6aY6AFg0uxA0Q.jpg
HqW2BNu7SzqodItGCOJMMQ.jpg
qGNN6Q+7QNKdnw2YhAcpVQ.jpg
0mMMNE0iSPy+zmow15fw2Q.jpg
N%nmrLUTRnG98XRvocaDdg.jpg
XO84s4DVQvi5fcm98jlvQg.jpg
YT3z2mheSl+aiivCR3kkDQ.jpg
dQkKIB7hSDuUu37HfJ9esA.jpg
rgGq+S5RSfuoAZTbSHPHEw.jpg
HSxzagIVQZaymzHmNUNp2w.jpg
jlIBwGWxQwqOItslLR79vg.jpg
[/GALLERY]

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
I do like the way that swings out, but since I needed a 3rd tray it made it even tighter as it gets squeezed between the other 2 trays. I think the other issue was my kid’s 24” wheels wouldn’t fit without some kind of modification.

Glad it is working for you.

So is that an old PK Ripper or a newly made one?

Sponsored

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology

I have 35" tires on mine and a bumper mounted spare tire carrier so my bike rack wouldn't fit with the spare tire. I bought...mail ordered actually...an 18" hitch extension from Cabella's that works perfectly. It was about $60 with free shipping at the time. I think if I had ordered the 12" extension, it may have been too short.

Wrangled

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So is that an old PK Ripper or a newly made one?
That is a new style P.K. Ripper made by SE. They've made 26" and 29" versions of their Rippers and Quadangles and in some cases they put fat tires on them. The call that one in the picture a Fat Ripper cuz it comes with 3.5" fat tires. Very cool bikes. Only one speed but at this point in my life, that's about all the faster I go anyway. Super fun to ride too. Usually I have a sleeker white leather seat on there, but swapped it out for the comfy one today.

qJG4HnWASQKKPMjsJYNCKw.jpg

Reactions: aml

miller210

First Name
lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep 2018 jl 4 door
I don't have a JL yet but all of them have backup cameras. It's the law (in the US).
the information said for JL without backup camera so wondered if it worked with back up camera
Sponsored