Bike Rack Options??

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
the information said for JL without backup camera so wondered if it worked with back up camera
I wish I knew. That "without backup camera" language in the description is new since I last clicked on that link. If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's not going to work.
Sponsored

Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubi
Picked up our new ride yesterday. The 1up rack fits great with the extender they sell. But I think if I put bigger tires on they won’t clear the rack in the down position. Anyway I prefer the black version they sell. The quality is great! Expensive but no plastic and made in the USA!

3920C763-FBD5-4C5B-AC26-C9A4DC3274B0.jpeg

D691D7B6-3C9B-43F6-8158-7D06414AF184.jpeg
Great rack. I've tried many over the years... Küat, Yakima, North Shore, Thule... and there's no comparison, the 1Up is the best rack I've ever owned. I have a similar set-up to @aml ... 8" anti-wobble hitch extension with a two-bike 1Up. Just clears the tailgate and is rock solid with mild off-roading. I can use with Road/Cross bike all the way up to a 5"-wide-tire fat bike.

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I got the Yakima Backswing and Dr. Tray installed today. This is a nearly perfect solution if you want an easy way to gain full access to your rear gate without removing bikes.

PROS
  • high-quality product,
  • SKS "same key system",
  • built-in locks for the hitch, the rack and the bikes,
  • modular system so you can add a third bike if you want,
  • 4-way sliding trays and tons of room between bikes
  • full 90° swing away from your gate,
  • the lever is not obstructed by the spare tire,
  • rack folds up and out of the way,
  • dead simple operation, the release handle is in the ideal place

CONS
  • very expensive
  • the lock cables could be a tad longer - they scuffed my painted rims because they were tight to reach the pin

Overall I'm very happy with this solution. I had to have a swing-away solution so I could access the back of the Jeep without fuss. This was really expensive ( $299 for the Backswing and I found the Dr. Tray for $505 on Amazon ( yes newer model ) ) so that was not the happiest part, but I feel the quality is high and the ability to synch all the keys/locks is a big plus for me.

Ask if you have questions.

[GALLERY=]
%%zlCYSWQ9WEsWu%ogwFlg.jpg
WH9m5FypSSy6k2fSaYaVmA.jpg
NnTVSGwCRIiWC7pzbXZe8Q.jpg
WZq4mFLmQki0COVPcmNi1w.jpg
5AmHIdnLRCqc8nVOOj048g.jpg
R89ToXDJQACjIKe0nYQlTQ.jpg
so0Um2J1Qz+NU7d4E3jrXw.jpg
ShqC8BhkRT2TmldnINnc1w.jpg
6n%97gBXR2Obec4KVQiPiw.jpg
BoCiR5X4Rg+yIvW60jkkfg.jpg
JXNDq+%lSbCKi4UNTMhEqw.jpg
aukzWV%BTuamd27qLw1thQ.jpg
7V5WbUgLTwWNFuNSA9trTg.jpg
pih7JZWRRGyoT3TlBwqX5Q.jpg
%gt5Fp%zT6aY6AFg0uxA0Q.jpg
HqW2BNu7SzqodItGCOJMMQ.jpg
qGNN6Q+7QNKdnw2YhAcpVQ.jpg
0mMMNE0iSPy+zmow15fw2Q.jpg
N%nmrLUTRnG98XRvocaDdg.jpg
XO84s4DVQvi5fcm98jlvQg.jpg
YT3z2mheSl+aiivCR3kkDQ.jpg
dQkKIB7hSDuUu37HfJ9esA.jpg
rgGq+S5RSfuoAZTbSHPHEw.jpg
HSxzagIVQZaymzHmNUNp2w.jpg
jlIBwGWxQwqOItslLR79vg.jpg
[/GALLERY]

What size tires are those? They look like the Rubi stock 33s. I see there is about an inch or so of clearance when the rack is in the closed position. I already own the DR Tray but also plan to upgrade to 35s. I am thinking there might not be enough room after seeing your photos.

Thanks for sharing!

Wrangled

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
What size tires are those? They look like the Rubi stock 33s. I see there is about an inch or so of clearance when the rack is in the closed position. I already own the DR Tray but also plan to upgrade to 35s. I am thinking there might not be enough room after seeing your photos.

Thanks for sharing!
Yes those are the stock Rubi 33's and I too am getting 35/12.5's soon ( Sept 6 ) so I will be able to confirm for you. I'm afraid I'm going to run into some trouble with that handle release on the backswing... ... ... Remind me if I don't come back to this thread with confirmation of that and pictures.

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Yes those are the stock Rubi 33's and I too am getting 35/12.5's soon ( Sept 6 ) so I will be able to confirm for you. I'm afraid I'm going to run into some trouble with that handle release on the backswing... ... ... Remind me if I don't come back to this thread with confirmation of that and pictures.
Awesome! Good luck. I hope it fits.

Sponsored

jimboavery

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rub JL
Has everyone given up on a spare tire rack? This camera thingy is driving me nuts!!

I had a yakima spare tire rack on my 2016 rub and need this solution to work on my 2018 Rub JL. Alas, there appears to be no way to make this work short of taking a saw to the nub (camera) and going with=out the camera. HELP!!! I do not want to do this but I believe this is the only solution.

I have dogs and need super easy access to the back. Any ideas?>?

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Has everyone given up on a spare tire rack? This camera thingy is driving me nuts!!

I had a yakima spare tire rack on my 2016 rub and need this solution to work on my 2018 Rub JL. Alas, there appears to be no way to make this work short of taking a saw to the nub (camera) and going with=out the camera. HELP!!! I do not want to do this but I believe this is the only solution.

I have dogs and need super easy access to the back. Any ideas?>?
Back up camera is a federal law as of 2015 so would be hesitant to remove or disable due to possible liability issues. I thought of that as well and looked into earlier on as I too wanted to continue to use my spare tire carrier.

Hanging bikes is never optimal either as the wheel carry is way easier on the bikes than hanging from the frame. Yes, I'm a convert to the new hitch mounts. Suggest that you look into ISI racks out of Australia (post 198 in this thread, linked below)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bike-rack-options.3426/page-14#post-285295

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
That’s a good idea. I should probably do the same and get the hinge upgrade too. I wish it wasn’t so dog gone expensive...there are a few other things I want to get first. Let me know how the tire relocator works out.
I forgot to get back to this. The spare tire relocation kit is perfect. The 1up folds up 1/4-3/4" from the spare tire, depending on how far I push it into the hitch. If I fold down the rack I can easily open the tailgate. I really liked my Thule T2, but this rack is super solid, and with the relocation bracket fits nice and clean. I'll try to add a picture when we go to the race tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: aml

Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Picked up a Backswing from REI since they are on sale (20% off) but still an expensive solution. Not sure if I like how far out the rack sits but affords plenty of clearance to open the gate when folded out:

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

I also have a hitch extender and prefer the distance but it is not tight and rocks in the receiver which is why I bought the backswing.

ItMustBeJames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR PUNK'N
Ok I got the Yakima Backswing and Dr. Tray installed today. This is a nearly perfect solution if you want an easy way to gain full access to your rear gate without removing bikes.

PROS
  • high-quality product,
  • SKS "same key system",
  • built-in locks for the hitch, the rack and the bikes,
  • modular system so you can add a third bike if you want,
  • 4-way sliding trays and tons of room between bikes
  • full 90° swing away from your gate,
  • the lever is not obstructed by the spare tire,
  • rack folds up and out of the way,
  • dead simple operation, the release handle is in the ideal place

CONS
  • very expensive
  • the lock cables could be a tad longer - they scuffed my painted rims because they were tight to reach the pin

Overall I'm very happy with this solution. I had to have a swing-away solution so I could access the back of the Jeep without fuss. This was really expensive ( $299 for the Backswing and I found the Dr. Tray for $505 on Amazon ( yes newer model ) ) so that was not the happiest part, but I feel the quality is high and the ability to synch all the keys/locks is a big plus for me.

Ask if you have questions.
Thanks for this! I ordered a Backswing and Dr. Tray on Wed, it arrived on Fri and I drove 220 mi with two bikes on Sat. Worked like a charm!

Edit: there are two torque recommendations during install. I had to grab a 15/16 socket to use with my torque wrench for the first (100 ft lb) bolt. The second (50 ft lb, I think) won't work with a socket so I just gave it a solid tightening. There's probably a torque- crecent wrench calling my name the next time I'm at Home Depot.

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Picked up a Backswing from REI since they are on sale (20% off) but still an expensive solution. Not sure if I like how far out the rack sits but affords plenty of clearance to open the gate when folded out:

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

I also have a hitch extender and prefer the distance but it is not tight and rocks in the receiver which is why I bought the backswing.
I may try the back swing with the 1up.

Wrangled

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for this! I ordered a Backswing and Dr. Tray on Wed, it arrived on Fri and I drove 220 mi with two bikes on Sat. Worked like a charm!
I got my 35's early ( yesterday ) but I haven't had a chance to load up the Backswing and Dr. Tray again. I can already see that the spare is much wider and may get in the way of the Backswing release handle :-/ but I will definitely let you know and post some pictures too.