Bike Rack Help

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I'm looking for bike rack options. A JL with a camera, Sky Roof, and nearly everything being out of stock isn't making it easy. I really love the VersaHitch options on Quadratec but they don't have any intent on supporting JLs. VersaHitch with Bike Rack for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK with Plastic Bumper | Quadratec

Also, any thoughts on tire vs. hitch? I figure tire allows door opening but then what happens if you get a flat?
Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
How many bikes are you wanting to carry?

Stay away from the tire-mounted ones. You don't need all that extra weight on the tailgate.

The Yakima Dr.Tray (had a different name when I bought it) was one of the only ones with enough adjustability to carry two bikes far enough back without a hitch extension to clear the spare. You can drop the bikes down to get the rear door partially open without removing them.

The vertical racks are nice, but you will need a hitch extension to use them (unless you remove the spare).

1Up makes some really nice racks, but they don't have the adjustment to get them far enough out to clear the tire.

edit: hitch racks are also nice because you can swap them between vehicles easily when you sell/trade/rent/etc.

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
There was just another post about bike racks last week. You might try the search option to see if you can find it. I use a Kuat 2 bike with a app 4 " drop extender. It lets me open the tail gate all the way when bikes are not mounted, and folds nicely up without hitting the spare (can still use the back-up camera despite the rack being in the up/stowed position).

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sponsored

pipincan

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0L North Edition *Bikini Pearl*
I bought the 1Up Super Duty Double rack for my JK Rubicon in 2015 along with the 2" Hitch Extender which allows me to fold up the rack flat against the spare wheel.

It fits on my 2020 JL Sahara except I can't open the tailgate because the spare wheel is now a couple of inches lower than on the JK. I'm in the market for a 2" dropper so I can open the tailgate.

The rear camera view will be crappy due to the rack and bikes and the rack will make the parking sensors go crazy, so I switch the sensors off when the rack is on.

Apart from that, I've been using the rack extensively and have no issues with it.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I'd like to have a max of 4 but I could also get by with 2 bikes. I have to long haul one and then possibly rent or borrow others.

Someone posted the Kuat 2 on offer up but it was gone in minutes.

The Versa Hitch looks like it's perfect but seems people have been asking for a JL version since 2018.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I decided to go with the Allen Sports 4 Bike Premier Spare. It's actually available for one big reason.

Some of the reviews aren't great but they are probably for the cheaper version. I found some engineering drawings and it looks like 13.5 inches clearance from the pin. Other photos show it lays down near flat without bikes.

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports...&rnid=6503252011&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2&th=1
Sponsored