Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
How long was your descent might I ask?
I was coming out of out an hour long descent.
I've done a few different ones that were well over an hour, one of the trails we run is 18 miles of downhill hell on the descent. I guess it's hard to compare though because speed chosen, any full stops, any manual braking and angle of hill would have to be the exact same to make a truly accurate comparison. Basically we'd have to run the same hill, exactly the same to see what or any differences we have in brake temps. I just haven't had mine overheat like yours and it's pretty damn hot out here.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I've done a few different ones that were well over an hour, one of the trails we run is 18 miles of downhill hell on the descent. I guess it's hard to compare though because speed chosen, any full stops, any manual braking and angle of hill would have to be the exact same to make a truly accurate comparison. Basically we'd have to run the same hill, exactly the same to see what or any differences we have in brake temps. I just haven't had mine overheat like yours and it's pretty damn hot out here.
I see, in my case it was applying the brakes the entire way down, along with engine braking of course. But at one point the hill descent was unable to maintain set speed and it was accelerating because the brakes were failing. I manually pushed the pedal and felt like it was slipping on ice. Luckily I was able to steer and roll the vehicle to a stop on a gradual section, got out and smelled like something was burnt, the rotors were cooked to a dark gray coloration.

I let the rotors cool and the braking performance recovered so I continued my way down, but it was a harrowing experience to say the least.

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
On my 2021 JLUR, the Hill Descent works very well going uphill too, not just downhill.

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
It does maintain, or try to maintain, the target speed, which varies between 1.8mph and somewhere around 6mph, depending on the setting. Feet off BOTH the brake and gas when using it, and just focus on steering. If I come up onto a big rock, it will momentarily slow/stop, and then auto apply a little gas and rev higher to get over the rock. Definitely designed for the steeper hill descents, but does actually work in flatter terrain as well. Saved my bacon a couple of times.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
As far as highway speed and cruise control it does definitely use the brakes. When I go to upstate NY there’s plenty of mountains to climb and descend. I never have to manually brake when descending. Cruise stays right on 74-75. (6 speed manual).
If you wanna test it simply hit the button to cancel your cruise halfway down. You’ll see.

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
Found this video tutorial. Helped me understand in theory. Still no JP yet. Hopefully pick up from dealer today.
-Starting at 1:20 begins a great tutorial.
-Also shows how to "bump" your speed setting up or down!
-0.6 mph is the slowest it can be engaged at.
-Appears that it can be set at different incremental speeds of .06 mph
-Can go up to 5 mph by bumping it up.
-At 3:50 mark he gets into a steeper, rockier situation.
-On flat terrain it is described as a very slow "cruise control"

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Please explain how that works. Going uphill.
There is a well graded dirt road near my home that climbs up a hill.

• At the bottom of the hill, I put the Jeep into 4 Lo and switch the auto transmission into M
  • I press the Hill Descent button.
  • I then use the auto shifter to increase or decrease the speed setpoint, from 0.6 mph up to 5 mph.
  • The Jeep happily ascends the hill at the speed that I choose, without me touching the brakes or throttle. The road is about a quarter mile long with a couple of flattish sections, but mostly straight uphill.
Note that this is a 2021 JLUR with the Selec Trac transmission. Mileage may vary with other models.

I don't actually understood what the Jeep is doing or how this feature works exactly. When going uphill, the Jeep probably isn't using the brake as the road is well graded. When going down downhill, it makes lots of strange noises and probably needs to use the brake. The displays and instrument panel don't show anything useful.

Despite my lack of understanding, the feature works quite well, at least going up or down a well graded dirt road. I haven't tried it out on rocks or rougher terrain just yet. I tried it on a flat beach with loose sand and it worked fine there too.
Sponsored