Hill descent control in the snow

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I know HDC was designed for trail use. However, I have a fairly steep paved driveway (13 degrees grade at its steepest part per the Jeep) that I have slid down a number of times in my prior car. Has anyone used HDC on pavement? Just curious how well it works.
Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I know HDC was designed for trail use. However, I have a fairly steep paved driveway (13 degrees grade at its steepest part per the Jeep) that I have slid down a number of times in my prior car. Has anyone used HDC on pavement? Just curious how well it works.
Not on pavement yet, but I took it down a very steep, muddy hill that I was petrified of... Worked like a charm. It did a great job controlling the braking, when a wheel began to slide it adjusted accordingly. I've never been so glad to get to the bottom of a hill...

We were out looking at a piece of property to buy and of course it decided to rain... Going up the hill was no problem, I didn't realize how steep it was until I started coming back down... I left a serious mud trail on the pavement at the bottom LOL

OP
OP
Dan M.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Not on pavement yet, but I took it down a very steep, muddy hill that I was petrified of... Worked like a charm. It did a great job controlling the braking, when a wheel began to slide it adjusted accordingly. I've never been so glad to get to the bottom of a hill...

We were out looking at a piece of property to buy and of course it decided to rain... Going up the hill was no problem, I didn't realize how steep it was until I started coming back down... I left a serious mud trail on the pavement at the bottom LOL
Thanks. If it works on a steep muddy hill, I'm sure it will have similar effect on a steep snowy hill.

Tellurian

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Wrangler JLUR Ocean Blue (MT); ā€˜20 Grand Cherokee White; ā€˜12 Volvo C30 (MT)
Occupation
Analyst
I donā€™t have HDC on the JLUR because itā€™s a manual but it is on our 2020 Grand Cherokee. You can absolutely use it on snowy paved hills and it works like a charm here in Vermont.

That said, we also put winter tires on it for maximum traction in the snow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dan M.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Thank you for all the responses. I'll be using HDC next time it snows. Good new is I'm not as concerned about getting stuck in a snowbank as I was with my old car (Cadillac CTS). I had to have that car towed out of the side of my own driveway 2x.

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
is that the only place you left a mud trail? :LOL:
well, since I put my new tires on, Iā€™ve been remodeling my house on the weekends... so probably :)
Sponsored