Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to know what other options there are to the Mopar table. It seemed kind of expensive for what it is? I had no idea there were so many other options.

All I need is something basic. It does not need to support alot of weight. I don't need a cutting board. Mostly I just want something for rolling through the drive through and a quick lunch. I have 2 door JL so smaller cargo area. A thinner profile when folded up would be nice to save trunk space. A simple install would be nice.

Most important is a table that will not rattle.
With a low budget you will likely end up with one thatā€™s made from thin stamped steel or aluminum and you will have to add some sound bumpers here there to quiet the rattles plus thinner ones wonā€™t hold much weight.
Sponsored

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I went with the table from Rough Country. Pretty much the same as the Mopar table, aside from the RC logo in the top left corner. I don't even notice it. Can't go wrong for the price. The table is solid and 100% quiet. Install took no more than 15 minutes.

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-jl-jlu-rear-tailgate-table-10625.html
How often do you use it? The only negative I have read about the Rough Country is the latches that lock it closed. How are the latches holding up?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Is the Mopar table or others in it's price range a better design than the $80 Rough Country?
Take a look at the Mopar vs. Rough Country. Search YouTube for install videos of both. Aside from the RC logo and the molle slots on the RC table being different, they are pretty much identical.

All I need is something basic. It does not need to support alot of weight. I don't need a cutting board.
The RC table will 100% meet these needs. They are basically the same as what I use my table for. I drop the table down to hold some of my gear while I get ready for a mountain bike ride. Same for when I'm done. I also use it for lunch, etc., when out at parks with my wife and kids.

I have 2 door JL so smaller cargo area. A thinner profile when folded up would be nice to save trunk space. A simple install would be nice.
The RC table takes up very little room and the install should take no more than 15 minutes. The hardest part is removing the interior tailgate panel and drilling 4 holes.

100% zero rattles. This thing is solid.

How often do you use it? The only negative I have read about the Rough Country is the latches that lock it closed. How are the latches holding up?
I've only had it installed a short while, but have used it nearly every weekend since. No issues at all with the latches. If need be, down the road, I can easily change them out.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With a low budget you will likely end up with one thatā€™s made from thin stamped steel or aluminum and you will have to add some sound bumpers here there to quiet the rattles plus thinner ones wonā€™t hold much weight.
I would like to avoid brands that rattle. Which ones are you referring to?

Sponsored

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take a look at the Mopar vs. Rough Country. Search YouTube for install videos of both. Aside from the RC logo and the molle slots on the RC table being different, they are pretty much identical.

The RC table will 100% meet these needs. They are basically the same as what I use my table for. I drop the table down to hold some of my gear while I get ready for a mountain bike ride. Same for when I'm done. I also use it for lunch, etc, when out at parks with my wife and kids.

The RC table take up very little room and the install should take no more than 15 minutes. The hardest part is removing the interior tailgate panel and drilling 4 holes.

I've only had it installed a short while, but have used it nearly every weekend since. No issues at all with the latches. If need be, down the road, I can easily change them out.
Thanks for suggesting the Mopar vs. Rough Country installation videos. I will look them up. Does the Mopar require drilling anything?

How are your Rough Country latches holding up with use?

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I wanted to know what other options there are to the Mopar table. It seemed kind of expensive for what it is? I had no idea there were so many other options.

All I need is something basic. It does not need to support alot of weight. I don't need a cutting board. Mostly I just want something for rolling through the drive through and a quick lunch. I have 2 door JL so smaller cargo area. A thinner profile when folded up would be nice to save trunk space. A simple install would be nice.

Hokey smokes, the Mopar table is expensive now! $190-250? My table cost less, for way more. Definitely look around. There are knockoffs for $80 or so, and rattling can usually be fixed with rubber/felt pads. My Frontrunner table does not rattle at all, though it has a tiny spot of rust after 1.5 years and a good amount of wet weather.

There's some people on the forum that made their own for super cheap and have write-ups. The panel on the tail gate comes off easily. Though the clips might make some unhappy noises, they aren't the kind that break if you look at them funny. Lots of hardpoints back there.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to avoid brands that rattle. Which ones are you referring to?
I looked at what my needs were and my top need was using a grill and someplace to set the occasional tool pouch or small tool box, my needs did not include Molle slots or cup holders as both are non useful for me so I looked at Outback Adventures, Rock slide engineering, American Adventures Lab and a few others and finally decided on the Outback Adventures one and itā€™s rock solid and no squeaks or rattles of any kind but it commands a pretty hefty price, sometimes itā€™s better to buy once and cry once.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The Outback Trailgater requires no permanent modification such as cutting or drilling. That was a plus for me.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Does the Mopar require drilling anything?
Yes. 4 holes into the interior tailgate trim (exact same for the RC table). Not a big deal. I used a step bit. Took a couple of minutes.

How are your Rough Country latches holding up with use?
No issues at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Rough Country makes it kind of difficult to justify $200 for the Mopar table when the Rough Country is $80?

I took a look at both the Mopar and Rough Country installation videos. Both looked about the same for installation. Drill four 1/2" holes in the plastic tailgate panel and screw in the table bracket.

On the surface both look pretty similar design wise with the exception of the locking latches. I guess they probably can have different thickness metal and maybe different paint too?

Guys and Gals who have the Rough Country. How are the Rough Country locking latches holding up? Any rattles after extended use? Would you still recommend it after owning and using the table for some time now?

Gorpf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21-392, AEV-JL370
Occupation
Retired
Get the FrontRunner... Do yourself a favor here and reap the the research that I have already done on this subject at nauseum. I have had the front runner for about 9 months and the thing has been absolutely solid. No rattle and it has rubber adjustment stops/dampers, incase it does start to rattle you can adjust the rattle out. I love the thing, it has been especially useful in the pandemic, when you just don't want to go inside this or that restaurant. One thing that is never mentioned, is the weight that these things put on your tailgate hinges (especially if you already have a 35'" mounted as a spare). Yeah you can buy this or that one with but the bells and whistles, however they all come with a weight cost. The front runner is light enough to take most of the worry out of hinge load concerns. Its also has a low enough profile to not eat up 3 or 4 inches of trunk space when the gate is closed (Protrusion: is definitely something to be aware of). I think I paid $160ish for it, but the build quality and functionality of it makes it worth much more. I actually think the Frontrunner is way under priced.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/drop-down-tailgate-table.html

Well its listed for $239, but could have sworn I paid $160-somthing.
Looks like the FrontRunner weighs less and supports more than most others, if you check listed specsā€¦..

WhitneyWillys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys
The Rock Slide Engineering table seems to have the most effective surface area. It has two tiers, and a deeper shelf. I find it perfect for my needs. My most useful mod till date. The entire family agrees :)
Sponsored