Best Setup for RV Flat Tow

Deezflops

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Hello, looking for suggestions on the best front bumper to install - that is also good for being flat towed behind RV. Would love suggestions on the whole setup really. But looking for a front bumper that looks good, can take a winch, maybe some slots for lights, and need to better understand the connection options for the tow bar (connect to D-Ring holders, or need additional latch points?). Not sure if some bumpers are rated to be towed long distances while others are not?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
We ordered a LOD full width bumper. It is supposedly in powder coating now so hope to have it in a few weeks. Plan to use a RoadMaster sterling tow bar and stay-in-play duo brake in the Jeep. Not a lot of options for the JL models yet. I’m still researching the lighting.

OP
OP
Deezflops

Deezflops

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
We ordered a LOD full width bumper. It is supposedly in powder coating now so hope to have it in a few weeks. Plan to use a RoadMaster sterling tow bar and stay-in-play duo brake in the Jeep. Not a lot of options for the JL models yet. I’m still researching the lighting.
I liked the look of that one too. I had also seen they offer Blue Ox or Roadmaster adapters. They just adapt to the D Ring slot though right? So you could technically adapt a tow bar to any bumper's D Ring slots? Or perhaps since they offer these adapters it's a little extra assurance that they are spaced correctly and strong enough for long distance flat towing? I've never flat towed behind the RV yet, so this is all new to me...

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I have towed various Wrangler's behind a Class A for thousands of miles. Can tell you that the only really safe and sane way to tow a Wrangler behind an Rv (Class A or otherwise) is to have "base plates" installed on the Wrangler. You also need a quality, properly lb. rated Tow Bar, etc.

There's towing and then there is safe and sane towing.

Sponsored

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll hold my thoughts on the bumper mount vs base plate until I dig into it as I may decide to reinforce the bumper mount points with some 1/4” angle brackets bolted through the frame for strength. No base plates available that I know of but as long as the attachment is solidly bolted to the frame it should be good.

But are you saying the RoadMaster Sterling tow bar is not quality?

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I’ll hold my thoughts on the bumper mount vs base plate until I dig into it as I may decide to reinforce the bumper mount points with some 1/4” angle brackets bolted through the frame for strength. No base plates available that I know of but as long as the attachment is solidly bolted to the frame it should be good.

But are you saying the RoadMaster Sterling tow bar is not quality?
Never mentioned any particular brand names.

Suggest you contact Blue Ox, etc. and find out when their JL base plate will be available.

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
Never mentioned any particular brand names.

Suggest you contact Blue Ox, etc. and find out when their JL base plate will be available.
Gotcha. Thought you were saying it in reference to me.

Blue ox and Roadmaster and Currie are all quoting somewhere around April but it doesn’t sound like they will even be designing it until later this month. Will see what happens I guess.

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55

Pipebndr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1943 Ford GPW 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Automotive business owner, ASE Master Tech
I see it... ugly.. and costs over a thousand dollars. A base plate, when available will run $400-.
Just depends on what you are looking at for a end result. I will be adding a winch and bull bar as I live in snow country. Jeep said there steel bumper upgrade at $1200.00 was winch ready, come to find out it is able to accept a winch but you need to buy their mounting plate for another $325.00. So now with the steel bumper upgrade, winch plate adapter and tow plate I would be looking around $2000.00 so the after market bumper is a better deal. As I said it just depends on what you are looking at for a end result.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Just depends on what you are looking at for a end result. I will be adding a winch and bull bar as I live in snow country. Jeep said there steel bumper upgrade at $1200.00 was winch ready, come to find out it is able to accept a winch but you need to buy their mounting plate for another $325.00. So now with the steel bumper upgrade, winch plate adapter and tow plate I would be looking around $2000.00 so the after market bumper is a better deal. As I said it just depends on what you are looking at for a end result.
I hear ya ... My posts were aimed at those wanting to flat tow their JL and no more....
Sponsored